Author Topic: Dune  (Read 19334 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: Dune
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2021, 12:24:26 PM »

This for example
"Villeneuve’s film sees this story through the eyes of the great family’s young heir, Paul (Timothée Chalamet), and embraces the boy’s awestruck confusion at moving to a desert world and learning that he was bred to be the white savior of its native people. "

*spoliers*

That's absurd because... 1) the fremen are Caucasians also and 2) he isn't bred to be the savior of the native people, they falsely believe he is the messiah because their religion has was cynically manipulated by outsiders and  2) Paul doesn't save the Fremen.

The central idea of the series is that heroes are disastrously for humanity, because people follow them (or their ideas about their hero) to destruction.

One of my favorite lines in the book is "No more terrible disaster could befall your people than for them to fall into the hands of Hero."

Setting this up is the purpose of the first book.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2021, 12:42:50 PM »

That's absurd because... 1) the fremen are Caucasians also

I don't think that Earth ethnicity applies to an alien race on an alien planet.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2021, 12:48:41 PM »
I don't think that Earth ethnicity applies to an alien race on an alien planet.

The Fremen aren't an alien race as they are the descendants of humans that arrived there thousands of years before the book. There are no alien races in Dune unless you count the genetically modified humans, ie The Spacing Guild (mutated by the spice in their case), as non-human.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 01:37:40 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2021, 10:25:04 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBBenVUVpEs
DUNE Extended Trailer - "Royal Houses"

Looking at this, the movie looks like it will be pretty good.  Aside from a couple of casting choices, it appears it is following the book pretty close.  We will see.  October 22 will come pretty quickly.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2021, 01:02:40 PM »
Well this is pretty darned cool!

My friend Dave and I saw the original 1984 version of Dune in the theaters.

We were talking the other night while we were gaming and I told him he needs to grab a seat on a plane and come east so we can see this version of Dune on 22 October.

He checked into it, and he should be able to get a flight. His son has been hired on with American Airlines's Envoy Air subsidiary, so he gets to fly for free.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2021, 02:38:24 PM »
The only thing about this is it is just the first half of the story.  I am sort of assuming they will end it where the Harkonens take Arrakis back and Paul and his mother find sanctuary with the Fremen.  It might be interesting to see where the first movie ends as that point is 2/3 to 3/4 of the book. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2021, 03:15:07 PM »
The only thing about this is it is just the first half of the story. 

Well I did not know this was gonna be a two part movie. It makes sense for telling the story better, but the way Hollywood works these days, part two will be released around 2035 or so.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2021, 06:05:32 PM »
The only thing about this is it is just the first half of the story.  I am sort of assuming they will end it where the Harkonens take Arrakis back and Paul and his mother find sanctuary with the Fremen.  It might be interesting to see where the first movie ends as that point is 2/3 to 3/4 of the book.

The last scene is Paul's knife fight with the Fremen, It fades to credits as they are carrying away the body.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2021, 07:57:28 AM »
Well *expletive deleted*it. I had no idea it was a two parter, either.

That makes me a bit happier, though, because the one thing I realized when I finally read Dune a couple of years ago is just how much the first movie left out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2021, 10:37:12 AM »
Plus, the book lays out the story up to that point in pretty great detail with only a handful of things just mentioned in passing*.  From his joining the Fremen to the end, there are large gaps left which a 2nd movie could fill in if they are careful.

* I had forgotten that the Duke staged a raid on the Harkonnen home world and destroyed the excess spice they were holding back in reserve.  Something I picked up rereading the book recently.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2021, 10:10:19 PM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2021, 07:42:22 AM »
It's D Day!

DUNE DAY!

My friend flew in from Iowa yesterday. He originally was going to get in around 2:30 my time, but when you fly standby you take what you can get, so he finally arrived at Reagan National at... 12:20 this morning.

Ugh.

After some confusion over which level he was to meet me at (there are 3 levels at Reagan, I was on the top level, he was on the middle level), we finally met up.

I got to bed around 2 a.m. Of course, I snapped awake at 6:30...

I'm going to need to take a nap or I'm going to sleep through the damned movie.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2021, 11:35:33 AM »
I just watched it on HBO Max.  It is an amazing visual spectacle with good writing and acting to boot.  I am now putting an ornithopter on my Christmas list. I hope there is a part two.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2021, 08:22:19 AM »
OH MY VARIOUS GODS! WHAT AN INCREDIBLE MOVIE!!!!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2021, 08:45:20 AM »
I just watched it on HBO Max.  It is an amazing visual spectacle with good writing and acting to boot.  I am now putting an ornithopter on my Christmas list. I hope there is a part two.

Shoot. I thought it was only in theaters. I'm signing up for HBO for the month to watch it. Or maybe I should wait until I fish or cut bait on going to a 65" TV to get another 10" of screen space.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2021, 09:11:06 AM »
Shoot. I thought it was only in theaters. I'm signing up for HBO for the month to watch it. Or maybe I should wait until I fish or cut bait on going to a 65" TV to get another 10" of screen space.

I watched it on the big TV, but I suspect that for this movie, it is best appreciated in a theater with surround sound.  I may very well go see it in the theater in a few weeks after the crowds go down.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2021, 08:00:40 AM »

Dress Steve up in a tu-tu and take him on a date night. Go into Boise and see the movie on the big screen the way God intended!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2021, 04:44:24 PM »
I watched it on the big TV, but I suspect that for this movie, it is best appreciated in a theater with surround sound.  I may very well go see it in the theater in a few weeks after the crowds go down.

Saw it in a conventional theater last weekend.  It was a triumph.  I was left in awe of the visuals of what this world looked like.  In particular the spice harvesters, carry-alls, and ornithopters.  Adherence to the novel was very good.  Liet did not come across as woke.  A woman in that role doesn't really fit in the Dune universe, it is a very patriarchal feudal world.  But they basically de-feminized her.  Her interactions on screen were based on her role as Judge of the Change, or as the Liet for the Fremen.  Stretches credulity a little bit, but not jarring to this particular telling of the story.

Going to see it a second time with BIL in Imax soon.

I hope this film inspires Hollywood to make better movies.  It's the best thing to come from them since LotR.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2021, 08:03:49 PM »
I enjoyed it.

I want to see how they do the Wyrding style fighting. I also like how they set him up for picking out Muad'dib as his name by having him notice the little mouse so many times. 
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2021, 08:09:26 PM »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2021, 08:52:04 AM »
This guy is a HUUUUGE Dune fan and he's impressed.
Check out his channel for a metric ton of Dune related videos.

Dune (2021) Review | Quinn's Ideas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7mKJzGKb1c
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2021, 09:24:30 AM »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2021, 09:31:39 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2021, 09:45:11 AM »
I watched it in the theater. It's been a while since I read the book. It was obviously marred by quota casting. That was the standout flaw. Second, the music and direction choices were a bit heavy handed and made me think I was watching blade runner 2049. Third, it had pacing issues and started to blur together in the second half. On the plus side they did stick to the book. Except for the character sex and race changes.

They also deleted "jihad" and all references to Baron Harkonnen's homosexuality.
Even half the book is too much for a single film. Too bad they couldn't do a miniseries like Mandalorian-length.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2021, 10:06:06 AM »
Except for the character sex and race changes.

They also deleted "jihad" and all references to Baron Harkonnen's homosexuality.

I haven't seen it yet and am curious: Did they add any implied homosexuality to "good" characters? I'm wondering if they removed implications of the Baron being homosexual because they didn't want to tie homosexuality to "evil" characters.