Author Topic: Western Oregon is on fire  (Read 4470 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Western Oregon is on fire
« on: September 09, 2020, 04:45:01 PM »
Quite literally.  Dozens of fires in the last several days, several that are threatening suburban/rural communities (and even urban communities like Medford).  Combination of extremely dry conditions, very strong east winds, and quite honestly poor forest management.  Half of my county is on a level 3 (GO NOW) evacuation order.  The other half is on a level 1 (get ready) evac order (we're solidly in the level 1 area, so reasonably safe).  My in-laws have evac'd from their home, MIL is with us, FIL is at BIL's place on the coast (he has the space for a travel trailer).  One fire went from 500 acres to 100,000+ acres overnight.  Others have grown to 40k acres in 12 hours. 

Estimate is that 500 square miles + is currently on fire.

Winds should be changing to an on shore flow tomorrow some time, which will hopefully blow some of these fires back onto themselves.   No precipitation in the forecast until Monday though.

Current fire/satellite fire data:  https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/#/%3F/%3F/43.7989/-121.5349/8 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Western Oregon is on fire
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 04:51:57 PM »
As is Butte County along with large swaths of California.

It's the Bear Fire here and it is growing. The sky is orange and ash is raining down as bad as when it was the Camp Fire.

Th fire is close enough that parts of Paradise and Oroville are under evac orders. So it's possible that we might lose Paradise again and Oroville along with.

Hope everybody stays safe.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 04:56:41 PM »
Best wishes for safety for our CA and OR members. I don't miss wildfire season.

Seems OR has gone the same way as CA, where they blame it all on climate change while making it incredibly difficult to do good forest management and easement maintenance for power and other companies.

Between the fires and in CA, blackouts due to heat and not enough available power, the enviro chickens are coming home to roost. Sad that they are negatively affecting innocent residents.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 05:02:11 PM »
We have similar excitement going on in Eastern Washington, and even some parts of Western Washington, the wetter part of the state.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 05:02:38 PM »
Best wishes for safety for our CA and OR members. I don't miss wildfire season.

Seems OR has gone the same way as CA, where they blame it all on climate change while making it incredibly difficult to do good forest management and easement maintenance for power and other companies.

Between the fires and in CA, blackouts due to heat and not enough available power, the enviro chickens are coming home to roost. Sad that they are negatively affecting innocent residents.

Everything here is spot on.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 05:09:47 PM »
Can we somehow blame Trump's response to COVID for this?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 05:13:34 PM »
I can't find it just now but there is an article that shows what California forests should look like, as they did in the way-back times versus what they look like now because the eccommies have killed any effort to clear out undergrowth and do sensible tree harvesting.

So many small, family-owned timber companies were run out of business and now there's many fewer people doing forest management. And we see the results.

When Trump said we should "rake" our forests he got dragged by the twittidots but he wasn't wrong in principle, he just was inarticulate in expressing the idea.

Clearing the undergrowth is a very good thing, and many people have died and there's been billions in property and economic damage because it hasn't been done.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 06:36:08 PM »
Just saw a stat that I don't know if it's accurate but...

The Camp Fire took 17 days to get to 150k acres in size.

The Bear Fire got to 250k acres in 24 hours.

I don't what this means for the future but it ain't good.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 08:40:13 PM »
Can we somehow blame Trump's response to COVID for this?

No, somebody found out they were having a boy.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 09:56:55 PM »
We're fairly safe here. The nearest fire is 14 miles away, and we're out in the middle of the valley surrounded by mostly harvested farmland without a lot to burn. Plus the fields immediately next to the house are still green, so we've got a fairly big buffer zone.

My cousin, her family, and my aunt live in Colton, though, and they just go the word to evacuate about an hour or two ago. Not sure where they're headed yet. Probably here, but that could have changed depending on what routes are open.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 10:36:12 PM »
So, is this what BLM/antifa meant when they said they were coming to the country?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 11:19:24 PM »
So, is this what BLM/antifa meant when they said they were coming to the country?

There are *very* unconfirmed rumors that the Medford fire was arson.   Some people listening to police scanners heard that 5 arsonists had been arrested.   But that's again *very* unconfirmed.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

PEfarmer

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 11:20:10 PM »
We're about a mile north of the chehalem Mt bald peak fire. Fortunately, the winds have been blowing out of the north, so we're pretty secure here. The santiam canyon fire sounds damn devastating, though. Neighbor farm is filling tenders out of their irrigation well. We're preparing to do the same out of ours.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 11:49:18 PM »
There are *very* unconfirmed rumors that the Medford fire was arson.   Some people listening to police scanners heard that 5 arsonists had been arrested.   But that's again *very* unconfirmed.

Didn't that turn out to be the case with one of the big fires a year or more ago, the Australian one I think. Media had been pushing CLimAtE cHAnGe and it turned out to be multiple arsonists.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 12:02:22 AM »
My niece has been posting some very eerie pictures on FB showing the red skies in her area.  She is SE of Portland in a more rural area if I remember correctly.  I need to call my Dad and ask him what can see from Tigard.
From what I've read the Santiam Pass region is just about burned out. There have been some major fires in that area over the last 10-20 years, and from the news reports, what little forest is left is burning.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 12:43:47 AM »
My niece has been posting some very eerie pictures on FB showing the red skies in her area.  She is SE of Portland in a more rural area if I remember correctly.  I need to call my Dad and ask him what can see from Tigard.
From what I've read the Santiam Pass region is just about burned out. There have been some major fires in that area over the last 10-20 years, and from the news reports, what little forest is left is burning.

It's been red skies here for the past three days. Yesterday it was so thick that it was near dark at 4:30 PM. This morning it was still dark enough to require headlights on my drive into work at 7:50 PM, but it started to lighten up as the day went on. My sister in Keizer had ash on her car this morning.

I took these yesterday outside my office building, at around 1 PM and then again at around 4:45 PM:

Same thing, except north towards the church next door:

We were close to the most northern extent of it yesterday, so you can kind of see a bit of blue sky in the church shots.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 07:22:01 AM »
Read an article this morning that indicates the Oregon fires may be arson.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 10:00:22 AM »
Read an article this morning that indicates the Oregon fires may be arson.

Seen some reports saying some ANTIFA connected people have been arrested for starting fires.

Don't know how good of a source this guy is but he goes into it a little
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hkjum9u1VI

Not something I like mentioning until some sort of confirmation but who do you believe in the media anymore?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 01:52:47 PM »
If true what benefit could they possibly get from setting these fires?

Anybody who is opposed to them won't change their minds and embrace them, and anyone on the fence will be appalled and go the other way. It might even drive away current supporters.

Plus it would give Trump even more reason to crack down on them, and shame any state or local leadership who stood in his way.

This seems to be a straight-up losing move for them.

We know a lot of them are deranged idiots but this idea is so bad I don't see it getting approved by the smarter ones who direct and herd the idiots.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 01:54:26 PM »
Some people literally do like watching the world burn
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2020, 03:18:12 PM »

Meaning they realize they're already losing big time trying to intimidate the Trump voters and on-the-fence crowd (their antics have backfired) and they think they have nothing else to lose.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2020, 03:33:35 PM »
If true what benefit could they possibly get from setting these fires?

Anybody who is opposed to them won't change their minds and embrace them, and anyone on the fence will be appalled and go the other way. It might even drive away current supporters.

Plus it would give Trump even more reason to crack down on them, and shame any state or local leadership who stood in his way.

We know a lot of them are deranged idiots but this idea is so bad I don't see it getting approved by the smarter ones who direct and herd the idiots.

You fail to understand the war in which you are caught.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2020, 04:22:52 PM »
I can't find it just now but there is an article that shows what California forests should look like, as they did in the way-back times versus what they look like now because the eccommies have killed any effort to clear out undergrowth and do sensible tree harvesting.

So many small, family-owned timber companies were run out of business and now there's many fewer people doing forest management. And we see the results.

When Trump said we should "rake" our forests he got dragged by the twittidots but he wasn't wrong in principle, he just was inarticulate in expressing the idea.

Clearing the undergrowth is a very good thing, and many people have died and there's been billions in property and economic damage because it hasn't been done.

Still have not found that article but here's one that covers the same territory:

https://amgreatness.com/2020/09/09/environmentalists-destroyed-californias-forests/

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2020, 06:08:00 PM »
There's something to this notion after all:

Antifi/BLM terrorist arrested for arson in Washington State.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/09/antifa-radical-arrested-arson-washington-state-caught-highway-setting-fire-lighter/

grampster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2020, 11:16:27 PM »
I have always been amazed that some smart lawyer has sued the pants off the environmental wacko organizations that influence getting laws passed that promote the horrible husbandry of the areas that always burn.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw