Author Topic: The Desantis mandate mandate  (Read 634 times)

zahc

• friend
The Desantis mandate mandate
« on: August 12, 2021, 05:15:32 PM »
Desantis has banned school mask mandates in Florida. He's being attacked for it pretty bad by people who are suddenly against government overreach when they don't agree with it. I think it's a bad political move which will be reported in the worst possible way.

The legal question is does the governor control the state public education system? I don't know what authority he actually has.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The Desantis mandate mandate
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 05:20:52 PM »
I saw that some local (I think?) judge ruled that a school district could mandate masks regardless of the gov's order. Seems like there might be a tangle of laws on this one.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 05:37:33 PM »
So, does that mean that a school district could also defy a mask mandate if he made one?

Or are they only allowed to defy a governor's orders on masks if the order is that masks must be optional, but not if the order is that masks are required? That doesn't seem possible, legally.

Is it a stealth legal strategy to undermine mask mandates?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 07:46:31 PM »
5-D chess, Florida style.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 08:40:14 PM »
Oklahoma is dealing with similar issues. The legislature passed and the Governor signed a law banning mask and vaccine mandates by state entities and state schools.
School districts and others are dropping lawsuits like leaves in the Fall challenging the law.
It's gonna be an interesting Autumn here in the Sooner state.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 09:23:13 PM »

It's gonna be an interesting Autumn here in the Sooner state [formerly] United States.

What a show. In the states with mask mandates, the lawsuits are trying to do away with them. In the states that aren't supposed to have mask mandates, the lawsuits want them.  [popcorn]

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 11:02:47 AM »
What do you all think about  governors banning mask mandates? 

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 11:40:44 AM »
I think Desantis is only banning mandates in schools and maybe state government entities, which may be reasonable and lawful, but IANAL. He's not banning mask wearing. I wouldn't like it if a governor banned mask mandates for private businesses. For exactly the same reason I don't like governors having mask mandates for private businesses. Either way, if the governor has the authority to make a mandate, then he should have the authority to ban mandates or even to bam mask wearing.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 11:49:55 AM »
That is what is going on in Texas also.  Trying to forbid Govt entities from requirement masks or local govts from passing mask mandates.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge