Author Topic: Justice Ginsburg died today  (Read 16382 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Justice Ginsburg died today
« Reply #225 on: October 11, 2020, 11:41:19 AM »
Any time we encounter the argument that Trump shouldn't have nominated anyone to fill the vacant seat, I think we have to cite the Constitution as rebuttal. Article 2, Section 2 of the Constitution says the President "shall" (the word "shall" is mandatory language -- it means he must do it. If he doesn't do it, he isn't doing his job):

"... and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, ..."

That's it. Game, set, match. By making a nomination, Trump was only doing his job. Now it's up to the Senate to approve the nomination, or to reject it. So any time you encounter someone saying (or posting) that Trump shouldn't have made a nomination, tell the person to read Article 2, Section 2 of the Constitution and then explain why they think the President should ignore the Constitution and not do his job. And then remind them that Ms. Ginsberg herself said that the President serves for four years, not three. In other words, he is still supposed to carry out the duties of his office during the fourth year of his term, and nominating Supreme Court justices to fill vacancies is one of his duties.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #226 on: October 11, 2020, 11:51:44 AM »
Ginsburg's own words should be repeated over and over on this.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #227 on: October 12, 2020, 08:45:40 AM »
This new dem definition of "court packing" is getting ridiculous. Former senator Bob Kerrey just now said that not getting Garland in was "court packing".

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #228 on: February 09, 2021, 02:27:41 PM »
The cult of RBG lives on

The cult of ‘former Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’ now has a wonderful place to call home (for just $6,900 a month) [photo]
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/02/09/the-cult-of-former-justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-now-has-a-wonderful-place-to-call-home-for-just-6900-a-month-photo/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #229 on: February 09, 2021, 02:31:12 PM »
Does the tenant have to remain until (s)he dies?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #230 on: February 09, 2021, 02:39:56 PM »
Does the tenant have to remain until (s)he dies?

Are the Clintons neighbors in this scenario?
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #231 on: February 09, 2021, 02:52:02 PM »
I hope they are paying a licensing fee for her name.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.