Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Wild (giant) puffball mushroom

(1/6) > >>

Kingcreek:
I’ll never pass up another one. I see them along the road or along tractor paths and I’ve messed with them in years past. I usually find them after the brief time when they are not buggy or turning brown.
Tuesday eve went for a walk with the wife on our one lane remote road and saw nothing. Wednesday morning there was a beautiful pure white unblemished mushroom about the size of a volleyball across from the drive.
I peeled it and sliced it about 3/4” thick slices and then into triangular wedges. Dipped in egg and rolled in Italian bread crumbs and fried in hot oil in a vintage cast iron skillet. Moved to a platter with paper towel and topped with grated Parmesan cheese immediately while hot.
It was damn good. If I die with horrible abdominal pain tonight because of fungus misidentification or gall bladder revolt, it will have been worth it. It was that good.
Carry on.

charby:
yum yum

K Frame:
Ya dead yet?

Kingcreek:

--- Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 25, 2020, 06:47:56 AM ---Ya dead yet?

--- End quote ---
Made it through the night! Feelin alright!
I live 1/2 mile from a state park. I think I’ll hunt early tomorrow morning for another one. They can get as big as a bushel basket. They’re only good when very fresh and they’re not fresh long.

K Frame:
Mushrooming in a state park?

Here in Virginia I think that's a crime....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version