Author Topic: Brajole rolled Italian flank steak  (Read 3521 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Brajole rolled Italian flank steak
« on: December 28, 2018, 09:35:04 AM »
It's a fair amount of work and mess but it can be done ahead of time so it works well for dinner guests (and they are appropriately impressed)
I do 2 flank steak for this.
Prepare an olive oil infusion with 6 pressed garlic pieces, a tbls of dry Italian seasoning, course salt and ground pepper. Enough to cover the 2 steak, maybe 1/4 cup, set aside.
Hardboil and peel 2-3 eggs, set aside.
Flatten the steaks out by lightly scoring cross grain and pounding with a meat tenderizer mallet. Beat them out as big and flat as you can get them.
Rub most of the olive oil garlic paste into the top of the steaks.
Chop the hard boil eggs and spread over the steaks.
Cover with a layer of Parmesan and ricotta cheese.
Chop a handful of fresh parsley and spread over the layer of cheese.
Tightly roll the steak starting at the thicker top and ending with the thinner fan part. Tie well with cotton kitchen string. Atleast 5 ties per steak. It really helps if you have a helper-4 hands works better than 2.
Rub the rolled steak with any remaining olive oil and garlic
Brown the steaks on all sides in a large skillet or Dutch oven in enough olive oil to cover the bottom. Add one chopped onion while browning.
I like to put both steaks in a clay terra cotta covered dish and start in a cold oven but I have done it in a ceramic coated Dutch oven. Any covered baking dish large enough will work.
Pour 1.5-2 quarts of your favorite tomato sauce to almost but not completely cover the steak.
Cover and cook in the oven at 275 until meat is 165 in the center.
Prepare water for your favorite pasta.
Remove meat and let it rest for a few minutes while you cook the pasta.
Cut into drool stimulating spiral rounds about 1" thick or as desired and serve with pasta and sauce from the pot. Salad and bread of course.
This makes a real nice presentation and the sauce becomes very rich and flavorful from the meat and whatever cheese etc leaks out of it. My dinner guests have always been impressed and I can do most of it ahead so I'm not stuck in the kitchen the whole time while they drink up all my wine.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 10:21:52 AM by Kingcreek »
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Brajole rolled Italian flank steak
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 11:37:09 AM »
Made this again with some variation.
I sautéed a pound of sliced mushrooms and one onion in the large cast iron skillet and removed before browning the rolled flank steaks. I then put the onion and mushrooms in a cold terracotta dish (with lid) before adding the browned meat and sauce and in the oven at 300 for 2 hours.
I also used a package of Italian 5 cheese blend (already grated for convenience) and added to some diced sun dried tomatoes and olives to the inside stuffing.
What we have here is failure to communicate.