Author Topic: No knead bread recipe  (Read 3147 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
No knead bread recipe
« on: September 25, 2020, 01:32:37 PM »
This one looks pretty good.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-to-make-no-knead-bread?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Alton Brown did a show some years ago that included a recipe for no knead bread that was similar to this.

This will be a good winter thing to throw together in the morning and bake at night to accompany stew or soup, I think.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: No knead bread recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 04:44:37 PM »
Very similar to the recipe Adively gave here years ago that I use all the time. Though I tweaked that one slightly for my tastes - sometimes mixing rye flour in with the AP flour. Otherwise very similar to the linked recipe. I prep mine in the evening, let sit overnight, do a 1-2 hour rise of the shaped dough in the morning, then in the oven it goes.

It's always a big hit as breakfast bread with my visiting kraut relatives. I rise the dough around 0500, so it's out of the oven right about the time they get their lazy asses out of bed in the morning.

Anyway, besides being super easy work-wise, it's the only bread I've ever made that always comes out consistently good. Never had a bad loaf.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 05:12:22 PM »
I may actually give it a try this weekend...

If I can find yeast.

I'm thinking seriously about making ham and bean soup now that it's fall, and this would be a perfect addition to it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 09:44:53 AM »
Ordered yeast from Amazon yesterday; it should be here today. I'm going to give this a try this weekend.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 01:12:51 PM »
Didn't get around to trying it. Got focused on other things.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 01:55:56 PM »
Hey Mike, you ever get around to trying this?

You really need to. It's so good. I'm making my annual ham and sauerkraut for Christmas Eve, and the bread is integral to it. I took the bread out of the oven an hour ago and I've already eaten a third of the loaf with butter while waiting on the ham and sauerkraut to finish.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 02:41:35 PM »
Now isn't this timely.  I am going to run this up the flagpole with the wife and see if we want to make this tomorrow.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 10:05:42 AM »
Nope, still haven't.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 10:25:20 AM »
My batch is sitting on the counter right now rising.  I plan to put it in the oven at 15:00, giving it an eight hour rise.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 11:15:53 AM »
My batch is sitting on the counter right now rising.  I plan to put it in the oven at 15:00, giving it an eight hour rise.

Let us know how you like it!

Eight hours can be a little short on the rise for a low yeast recipe, but I've done it before. If the house is warm, it's doable. I usually do an overnight rise on mine, then a good 1.5 hours under a towel before it goes in the oven. I eat my main meals at lunch time, so it's a perfect timetable for me.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2020, 11:19:22 AM »
Important finding from the bread recipe:

1.  It was delicious
2.  I used too big of a dutch oven.  The bread dough spread out to a large blob.
3.  More rising time to develop gluten and/or more flour could have given me a stronger dough ball that would hold together and bake in a round shape rather than a flattened blob.
4.  We will be making this again. Probably with an overnight rise.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2020, 11:46:21 AM »
Important finding from the bread recipe:

1.  It was delicious
2.  I used too big of a dutch oven.  The bread dough spread out to a large blob.
3.  More rising time to develop gluten and/or more flour could have given me a stronger dough ball that would hold together and bake in a round shape rather than a flattened blob.
4.  We will be making this again. Probably with an overnight rise.

Glad to hear it tasted good!

On your findings, similar to my initial tries. I initially used my Lodge 5 quart Dutch oven, which worked fine for 6-7 cups of flour. The amount of dough was enough to "fill up" that oven, and get a higher loaf. However that's too much bread for me to eat before it goes bad, so I started making 4 cup loaves, but in that Dutch oven, they looked closer to pizza than to bread. I ended up finding the perfect size and shape Dutch oven at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FGBTQD0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No longer available on Amazon, and that's a horrible photo. It's shaped more like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RWL5T6/ref=sbl_dpx_B08FHZ74D3_0

At 3 quarts, it's perfect for a four cup loaf, which rises just about to the top of the oven and creates a good size for slicing into (large) sandwich slices.

I would definitely switch containers before I made the dough firmer. I experimented with that a bit, but found following the recipe regarding "wet(ish)" dough is better than going to a drier dough. I use a dough hook in the Kitchen-Aid, and add water until the dough "cleans up the bowl" if that makes sense - just moist enough that it picks up all the flour and almost leaves the bowl clean, then just add a touch more water until there is a little wet dough at the bottom of the bowl. I initially went even wetter, but found that was too wet for me.

Oh, if it helps, I just measured my 3 qt and it is 4" high, and 8.5" diameter.

Oh #2: In my recipe, that amount bakes (ovens vary) at 425deg for 40-45 minutes with the lid on, then another 5-10 minutes with the lid off to get a really nice crust. I look for about a 200-210 deg internal temp to take it out of the oven.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2020, 12:10:23 PM »
^^I have a couple of heavy stainless steel saucepans with lids that are pretty close to the dimensions of the small dutch oven.  I might try one of those for the next go-round.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2020, 12:15:46 PM »
^^I have a couple of heavy stainless steel saucepans with lids that are pretty close to the dimensions of the small dutch oven.  I might try one of those for the next go-round.

I gotta say that I think the cast iron is integral to a good loaf. I just reread Mike's OP and saw the recipe called for three cups. That might work with the 2qt Dutch oven Amazon basics sells for twenty ducats.

It appears people complain about the finish on that one, but my 3qt had a crappy finish and seasoning too. I completely redid the seasoning using flax seed oil and that Dutch oven is the bomb now.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2020, 02:09:24 PM »
Do you have a tall square Corningware casserole dish with a lid?  (I'm not sure how many quarts, I would guess 3)  Those work great for baking bread with very wet dough (like the sourdough I was baking a few years ago)  Grease it well with shortening; start baking with the lid on to keep the moisture in, then take the lid off halfway along.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2020, 07:17:18 AM »
The recipe calls for parchment paper, both to keep it from sticking in the dutch oven and to make it easier to put it in and pull it out.

I may give it a try this week, but not sure. Castle Key's wife is doing the Keto diet thing so it wouldn't be on her menu.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2020, 09:06:44 AM »
The recipe calls for parchment paper, both to keep it from sticking in the dutch oven and to make it easier to put it in and pull it out.

I may give it a try this week, but not sure. Castle Key's wife is doing the Keto diet thing so it wouldn't be on her menu.

I've never used parchment paper and rarely had a sticking problem. When it comes out of the mixing bowl, it goes on a floured towel. I wipe the Dutch oven with olive oil, then drop the dough in from the towel. I've never had a sticking problem with the Dutch oven. If you don't evenly flour the towel or the dough during that process, there can be some sticking.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 12:49:05 PM »
I'm finally going to give this a try this weekend. I'm going to mix it up Saturday evening and then bake it Sunday afternoon for about an 18-hour rise.

I think instead of a dutch oven I'm going to use my Roemertopf clay cooker. It should be pretty much perfect for making this kind of bread.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/433424-how-to-bake-bread-in-romertopf-clay-pots/

The only thing I'm kind of worried about is that I keep the house pretty cool... as in very cool, especially at night, when the pellet stove isn't running.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 08:40:52 AM »
And totally forgot to put it together. Sigh.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 01:50:27 PM »
Is this a dense bread or a lighter fluffier bread?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 04:27:36 PM »
Do I need this?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.