Author Topic: $800 Million Mandalay Bay Hotel Settlement in Las Vegas Shooting  (Read 1200 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
$800 Million Mandalay Bay Hotel Settlement in Las Vegas Shooting
« on: September 30, 2020, 06:15:33 PM »
Not sure how they think the hotel is liable for what a nutjob did in one of their rooms. No guns stickers and metal detectors at hotels now?
Wonder how much of this is going straight into the lawyer(s)'s pocket

Judge Approves $800 Million Mandalay Bay Hotel Settlement in Las Vegas Shooting
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/judge-approves-800-million-mandalay-bay-hotel-settlement-in-las-vegas-shooting/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: $800 Million Mandalay Bay Hotel Settlement in Las Vegas Shooting
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 06:58:53 PM »
At least 40% is going to the lawyers, but probably closer to 50%.  It's how the ambulance chasing subset of lawyers work.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 07:27:31 PM »
A minimum $5,000 would go to each person who filed a claim for unseen injuries and did not seek medical attention or therapy.

I wish I had know about this, I am sure I was mentally anguished by all of the anti-gun rhetoric following this event.  =|

bob

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 08:21:03 PM »
About that shooting... Conveniently vanished from the public conscious and was never mentioned again. :tinfoil:

When They want to talk about a mass shooting,  it's always the FL one and that little *expletive deleted*it Hogg
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 08:43:02 PM »
About that shooting... Conveniently vanished from the public conscious and was never mentioned again. :tinfoil:

When They want to talk about a mass shooting,  it's always the FL one and that little *expletive deleted*it Hogg
I am amazed that none of the video in the hotel got leaked.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 08:47:00 PM »
I am amazed that Mandalay Bay has at least three quarters of a billion in liability insurance coverage.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 10:32:59 PM »
This event stands out as the most glaring anomaly in "gun violence" history.  Nothing fits. Nothing. This pegged the wierd-o-meter and broke off the needle. (all wierd-o-meters are analog, btw.)  You don't think someone had something to hide, do ya?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 07:03:26 AM »
This event stands out as the most glaring anomaly in "gun violence" history.  Nothing fits. Nothing. This pegged the wierd-o-meter and broke off the needle. (all wierd-o-meters are analog, btw.)  You don't think someone had something to hide, do ya?

I'm not into the conspiracy theories, so what are you talking about?  Looks like sumdood went bonkers and shot up a large crowd of people.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 10:32:11 AM »
I'm not into the conspiracy theories, so what are you talking about?  Looks like sumdood went bonkers and shot up a large crowd of people.
I think he is referring to:

1.  The guy was able to bring a large weight of weapons and ammo up to the room then break out windows to fire it.

2.  It was never quite clear what the order of events were from when he stopped firing to when the cops got to his room.  Maybe that was cleared up and I missed it.

3.  THe investigation was very closed mouth with very little info release on the people involved, the weapons, and how all that got to his room. 

4.  Groups have been trying to use freedom of information act rules to get copies of information and most have been refused.

tokugawa might list more than that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 11:13:27 AM »
I thought they released security camera video a long time ago of him bringing the stuff up in suitcases.  As I recall there was some noise made that he was able to bring some of it through some of the maintenance elevators, but as far as I know that was just because he was in good with the hotel because he was spending a lot of money with them.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 12:07:00 PM »
I tend to apply Occam's Razor to these kinds of things.

I think the lack of info about the Vegas shooting is because well... there actually is a lack of info. The guy was on nobody's radar, and he didn't have or leave us with a motive or a manifesto.  His weird-ass rambling brother and the criminal father might provide the only real clues, that he was just evil, wired for some kind of sociopathy/psychopathy, and wanted to take out a bunch of people because he was mad at the world.

And ultimately, what's being "covered up" is that there's no chance of stopping or preventing a guy like that without a complete police state type of situation with searches and security checkpoints which we don't have the manpower or money to implement, even if there was universal political will and public support to do it. And the hotel is going to look hard and negatively at intrusive bag checks and room checks, guaranteeing they offend all their customers in perpetuity, for the low probability event that there's a mass shooter prepping in one of their rooms.

Those in power and positions of authority are naturally averse to throwing up their hands and saying "Nothing we could do to stop this" and looking bad, even though logically there may not have been much they could do. People tend to Monday Morning Quarterback and criticize the response to events completely outside of human control like earthquakes etc.

People just don't like accepting bad events, disasters, tragedies, or atrocities without some kind of root cause analysis that makes them feel like the next one can be prevented.
I promise not to duck.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 12:21:16 PM »
I tend to apply Occam's Razor to these kinds of things.

I think the lack of info about the Vegas shooting is because well... there actually is a lack of info. The guy was on nobody's radar, and he didn't have or leave us with a motive or a manifesto.  His weird-ass rambling brother and the criminal father might provide the only real clues, that he was just evil, wired for some kind of sociopathy/psychopathy, and wanted to take out a bunch of people because he was mad at the world.

And ultimately, what's being "covered up" is that there's no chance of stopping or preventing a guy like that without a complete police state type of situation with searches and security checkpoints which we don't have the manpower or money to implement, even if there was universal political will and public support to do it. And the hotel is going to look hard and negatively at intrusive bag checks and room checks, guaranteeing they offend all their customers in perpetuity, for the low probability event that there's a mass shooter prepping in one of their rooms.

Those in power and positions of authority are naturally averse to throwing up their hands and saying "Nothing we could do to stop this" and looking bad, even though logically there may not have been much they could do. People tend to Monday Morning Quarterback and criticize the response to events completely outside of human control like earthquakes etc.

People just don't like accepting bad events, disasters, tragedies, or atrocities without some kind of root cause analysis that makes them feel like the next one can be prevented.

In the days of old whenever something bad happened whether it be manmade or natural people usually started looking for someone to blame, anyone, ie Find some witches to burn! Not much has changed except people are more inclined to go after the "witches'" money rather than burning them at the stake nowadays although it could be said the media does a form of burning at the stake.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »

In the context of my malpractice work, I like to say that sometimes bad things happen to good people and it does not necessarily mean that someone did something wrong or it could have been prevented.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 01:34:32 AM »
To clarify- and maybe some of this is wrong, I am pulling from memory, but was intensely interested at the time-
 The guy was so far outside the usual loser profile-- older, girlfriend, wealthy to the tune of 5 million, unknown source of funds, pilot, apparently owned a couple aircraft at one time, one of which was reportedly leased to the feds, amassed a large gun collection for some reason after Trump was elected, his girl friend who was involved (I think with ammo purchase) ran off to the PI right before or after(can't remember), the bellhop shot inside the hotel does an interview on TV and goes south , there was info his girl friend had been an federal asset, etc.

I can't remember every detail, but the oddities were everywhere.  Like his house being robbed after the event when it was a crime scene. The hard drive disappearing from his computer. Do we even know he was the shooter?  It bore no similarity to any other mass shooting I can recall.

I am not a big conspiracy nut but this thing reeked of weirdness.  I have wondered if it was a "fast and furious" gun control effort designed to gin up support for bans.  Certainly the leo's were keeping a tight lip- took a year for the report to be released, people pretty much had forgotten by that time.

Why? Why bring a few dozen EBR's up to a hotel room , risking discovery?  Almost like the method was the message. Did he think he was going to wear them out, or was a display being prepared?

These things almost always have a trail- a statement, social media rants, odd friends, something. People who figure they are going out in blaze usually want to let the rest of the world know how wronged they were.  This guy was the original gray man.

Things get weird, and weird stuff happens. But even weirdness has a pattern.  This had none- and that is strange. Like the fact there seems to be very little backstory on the guy.

Oh well, probably we will never know.  Like walking down the road and knowing there is a dead creature in the brush. Can't see it, don't know what it is, but something stinks.