Author Topic: Snatch and grab the Michigan governor  (Read 3529 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Snatch and grab the Michigan governor
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2020, 12:33:09 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/16/michigan-bans-gun-open-carry-at-election-day-polling-places-after-whitmer-kidnap-plot.html

Michigan’s secretary of state banned the open carry of guns at polling places and other official voting locations on Election Day in the state.

The move comes on the heels of arrests related to an alleged plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. Fourteen men charged in the cases have ties to militia groups, officials say.

Would someone familiar with Michigan law please enlighten me: does the Secretary of State have that authority?
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2020, 12:02:35 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/16/michigan-bans-gun-open-carry-at-election-day-polling-places-after-whitmer-kidnap-plot.html

Would someone familiar with Michigan law please enlighten me: does the Secretary of State have that authority?

Pretty certain it's already illegal to carry in a polling place.  Making it double-secret-illegaler isn't going to change much.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2020, 12:12:01 PM »
Pretty certain it's already illegal to carry in a polling place.  Making it double-secret-illegaler isn't going to change much.

Like hate crime laws?
Already was/is illegal to beat someone up or murder them but for some reason it makes some people feel better to make it double illegal if race/gender/feelings are involved
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2020, 12:26:19 PM »
Like hate crime laws?
Already was/is illegal to beat someone up or murder them but for some reason it makes some people feel better to make it double illegal if race/gender/feelings are involved

Since we know that everything anybody does is being recorded by someone, somewhere, today, obviously this just means if/when you decide to beat the crap out of some idjit who roundly deserves it it's important to loudly state for the record -- several times -- that you are administering an equal opportunity beat-down and that you do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, gender orientation, race, color, religion, ethnicity, political affiliation, or phase of the moon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2020, 12:31:10 PM »

I wonder about that.  The specific voting rules are controlled by the state and the voting location will probably be in a city owned or state owned building.  The only thing the federal government does is require an election.

Based on that, I don't know how fedgov has the authority to ban guns in a polling place.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2020, 12:34:08 PM »
To add to my last post, NH does not prohibit carrying firearms into a polling place.

When I went to look for a federal restriction on guns in polling places, I found this piece of anti-gun drivel that says the state is responsible for controlling guns in polling places.  https://www.csgv.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/CSGV-GunsAtThePolls-X.pdf

The NY Times agrees with the above PDF.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/23/us/elections/its-legal-to-bring-guns-to-polling-places-in-five-battleground-states-a-new-study-says.html
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2020, 03:31:57 PM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2022, 03:38:43 PM »
Update

BREAKING: Jurors acquitted two defendants of conspiracy to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in 2020 but couldn't agree on a verdict for two others. https://t.co/w1N9AvPOpH

— The Associated Press (@AP) April 8, 2022

‘Stunning defeat for the government’: 2 men acquitted of plotting to kidnap Mich. Gov. Whitmer, hung jury on 2 others
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/04/08/stunning-defeat-for-the-government-2-men-acquitted-of-plotting-to-kidnap-mich-gov-whitmer-hung-jury-on-2-others/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2022, 03:40:57 PM »
Update

‘Stunning defeat for the government’: 2 men acquitted of plotting to kidnap Mich. Gov. Whitmer, hung jury on 2 others
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/04/08/stunning-defeat-for-the-government-2-men-acquitted-of-plotting-to-kidnap-mich-gov-whitmer-hung-jury-on-2-others/

Now they need to try the Fedbois that came up with the scheme in the first place.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2022, 04:12:15 PM »
The only thing the federal government does is require an election.

I don't even think it has to be an election. As long as the rules are set by the state legislature, it could be by appointment or by drawing names from a hat. As far as I know.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2022, 09:13:13 PM »
Now they need to try the Fedbois that came up with the scheme in the first place.

Thousands of comedians are out of work, and AZRedhawk44 tries to be funny. What a guy -- always kidding around!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2022, 10:32:25 AM »
With Joy Reid everything is about race.
Never mind the fact that they were anti-Trump, anti-police anarchists they're still somehow racist right wing extremists

Unreal…so in America in the year of our Lord 2022, you can plot to kidnap a Democratic woman governor to stage a show trial and hurt her or worse, because you don’t like COVID restrictions and walk, as long as you’re a white, right wing extremist. Holy jury nullification, Batman https://t.co/vKIWIJCSfI

— Joy-Ann (Pro-Democracy) Reid 😷 (@JoyAnnReid) April 8, 2022
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/04/09/joy-reid-not-happy-nobody-was-convicted-of-plotting-to-kidnap-mich-gov-whitmer/
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2022, 11:47:44 AM »
From what I've seen and read so far, there were more government people involved (undercover agents, informants, etc.) than actual accused conspirators.

How many Federal agents need to become part of a group before it can be considered an actual government agency?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2022, 10:21:49 AM »

Is Gretchen Whitmer mad at the FBI for creating, organizing, financing and overseeing a plot to kidnap her?

— Glenn Greenwald (@ggreenwald) April 12, 2022
Glenn Greenwald has a question for Mich. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/04/13/glenn-greenwald-has-a-question-for-mich-gov-gretchen-whitmer/
- Calvin and Hobbes