Armed Polite Society

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

R.I.P. Scout26

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Project Farm Impact Driver Test  (Read 1031 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Project Farm Impact Driver Test
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2020, 06:48:28 PM »

So what's the difference between a hammer drill and a rotary hammer?  ???

Ben

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2020, 06:56:58 PM »

So what's the difference between a hammer drill and a rotary hammer?  ???

I'm no expert, but in these parts the terms are used interchangeably for the same tool (we say roto-hammer instead of rotary hammer).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »

I'm inspired to buy my first impact driver.

I hate these threads where I end up buying something I didn't know I "needed."  Who started this, anyway?    [ar15]

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2020, 08:07:31 PM »

I just had a friend stop buy that works at a tire shop. He stopped in to pull the driveshaft out of his truck. We might have been drinking when we twisted it in half.

He had his Dewalt impact driver with him that he uses all day six days a week.

I have another friend with a tire shop here in town. I know he went to using two impact drivers instead of having air hoses everywhere. I'll stop in and ask him what he has and how he likes them. I think he bought two brands to compare.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2020, 04:32:44 AM »

OK, what's the difference between an impact driver and a hammer drill?

Is the impact driver a rotary hammer motion, while the hammer drill is linear along the length of the bit?

Yes.

Quote from:  Nick1911
So what's the difference between a hammer drill and a rotary hammer

A hammer drill normally has a way to disable the hammer function and just be a drill.  A rotary hammer just does that one thing. They also tend to be bigger and more powerful,  as well as come in spline shaft varieties.  (SDS+ and the like)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2020, 07:14:26 AM »

"A hammer drill normally has a way to disable the hammer function and just be a drill. "

My hammer drill has exactly that... Turn off, and it's a drill. Turn to 1, and you hammer drill. Turn to 2 and you REALLY hammer drill. It's distinctly uncomfortable to use on setting 2 for much more than a couple of minutes because of the vibration.

Still, can't complain about an all metal body 1/2" hammer drill for free.

I was working on an old contract and we had an upright cabinet in the one conference room that hadn't been opened for years. The facility guy said let's open it (it was locked). We picked the lock and it was full of tools with absolutely no indication of ownership.

So, we split them up. I got the hammer drill and a nice fish tape. Someone else took a nice half inch socket set with the ratchet, someone else took some electrical testing equipment, etc.

That drill has more than paid for itself over the years.  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2020, 11:25:01 AM »

Here's a short video explaining drill vs impact driver vs impact wrench vs hammer drill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAMHGe_LWzc

First video I've seen by that guy, he is to the point.  I've seen too many videos where someone takes 20 minutes to say something that could have been said in 4.
Pages: 1 [2]