Author Topic: Best tire pressure gauges?  (Read 840 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Best tire pressure gauges?
« on: October 21, 2020, 10:00:15 AM »
Low pressure light came on in the Subaru this morning. OK, no problem, one was a bit low, so I aired them up. But, I can't find my GOOD tire pressure gauge, the one I know is accurate (the gauge on my mini compressor is "accurate," but reads 10-12 pounds low, so I only use it for general range).

So, I'm figuring that it got knocked out of the car or left somewhere and I need a new one.

Suggestions?

I had a good dial gauge (but it was 20 some years old, so maybe it wasn't quite as accurate anymore).

What's the thoughts these days? Dial? Spring stem? Electronic?

What says the pressurized hive mind?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Best tire pressure gauges?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 10:06:09 AM »
I'd use the dial or spring stem type.   My car has sensors and I can call up the pressure in all four tires on a dash display.  I still keep a tire gauge in the glovebox,  but it's just a generic stem type.   I used to have an electronic one but the battery leaked oily icky goo all over it and I trashed it.  Never again will I use one.  They're cute and all Star-Trekkie and everything,  but when I needed it,  it had stroked out.   Simple is best for something rarely used.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 10:23:30 AM »
"My car has sensors and I can call up the pressure in all four tires on a dash display."

Unfortunately my Subaru isn't that advanced. It's just a good/no good sensor and doesn't even tell me which tire is having the issue.

"Simple is best for something rarely used."

That's how I'm inclined to go, as well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 10:34:44 AM »
I keep a stem gauge in both vehicles, though the truck computer reads out individual tires pretty accurately. The 4Runner has the same idiot light as your Subaru. The stem gauges are for "just in case" when I'm on the road, since I never trust gas station gauges. For at home checking, I like a dial gauge. I have this one and like it:

https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Luxe-Tire-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B01JWKOY5U/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

That said, when I check tires at home,  I just go ahead and hook up the digital gauge to my air compressor hose and walk around the vehicle with that, since most any time I check them, I'll find a least one tire a little off, so I just top off as  I go, even if it's just adding 1 psi.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 10:50:45 AM »
I have a dual chuck pencil gauge that I have had since the 90's that I keep in my truck. I have a truck sized dual chuck pencil gauge I keep in the garage that my dad gave me when he retired 10 years ago (he drove heavy bucket and digger derrick trucks as part of his job). I have a couple others floating around my rolling tool chest. I prefer the pencil gauges because they are easy to use and I can read them after I pull it away from the valve stem.

I have noticed that many of the pencil gauges are made out of plastic, not sure if want one of those, I have a tendency to toss things into the junk drawer in my tool chest.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 10:56:50 AM »
"I can read them after I pull it away from the valve stem."

Pretty much all tire gauges sold today are that way.

The dial gauge that I bought in 1997 (the one I'm replacing) was that way. It held the reading until you pushed a button on the side of the stem.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 11:03:50 AM »
Oh, one other reason I default to the digital gauge on the air hose: Old man eyes. Those dial analog numbers are getting hard to see without reading glasses. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 11:08:07 AM »
"I can read them after I pull it away from the valve stem."

Pretty much all tire gauges sold today are that way.

The dial gauge that I bought in 1997 (the one I'm replacing) was that way. It held the reading until you pushed a button on the side of the stem.

The last one I used wasn't, granted with was a tradeshow freebie.

My compression gauge is like that, it holds the pressure until you release it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 11:28:48 AM »
I was considering this about five years ago.  After looking at a lot of Amazon reviews I liked the Jaco, although I didn't buy one.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B015HURK64/?coliid=I2GU7EIONWYDD1&colid=3R897KZ9HS2U6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I notice it looks exactly like the one Ben linked, except for the brand name.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 11:31:52 AM »
The more I read the more I'm thinking I'm going to end up with one of the Jacos...

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 12:05:54 PM »
Hard to beat an old-fashioned Milton.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 12:14:00 PM »
Pencil guages are still the best. Milton preferred but even the cheap ones work. I just wish I could find a pressure guage that works properly with bicycle Presta valves. My solution so far is to drill my rims out and switch to normal valves, but that won't work for skinny rims.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 12:35:36 PM »
Pencil guages are still the best. Milton preferred but even the cheap ones work. I just wish I could find a pressure guage that works properly with bicycle Presta valves. My solution so far is to drill my rims out and switch to normal valves, but that won't work for skinny rims.

I carry a Presta/Schrader adapter in my handlebar bags for exactly this and for emergency inflation if Schrader is all that is available. Most of the time however, I just use the pressure gauge on the floor pump for my bike tires, and my floor pumps have both Presta and Schrader heads.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 12:50:33 PM »
I'm in the same camp as Ben and Silver Bullet.  I've been using this one for about 4 years and am very satsified with it. I got the 60# dial.  Your recommended tire pressure should fall in about the middle of the guage's range, so my 32# tires work well with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00404WDUC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 01:45:37 PM »
Oh, one other reason I default to the digital gauge on the air hose: Old man eyes. Those dial analog numbers are getting hard to see without reading glasses. :)

Curious. I can read my analog dial tire gauge just fine, but I need reading glasses to make out the reading on the digital display on the gas station air hose.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 02:31:29 PM »
Curious. I can read my analog dial tire gauge just fine, but I need reading glasses to make out the reading on the digital display on the gas station air hose.

Not really. The analog numbers on my one gauge are tiny, and the digital numbers on my compressor gauge are a half inch high.