Author Topic: More madness from Seattle  (Read 4441 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
More madness from Seattle
« on: November 03, 2020, 09:25:48 AM »
Poor? Addicted to drugs? Mentally ill? Say hello to your get out of jail card.
What could possibly go wrong?

The Seattle City Council is considering new legislation that would create a legal loophole that would make substance addiction, mental illness or poverty a valid legal defense for nearly all misdemeanor crimes committed in the city.
If approved, the ordinance would excuse and dismiss -- essentially legalizing -- almost all misdemeanor crimes committed in Seattle by offenders who could show either:

Symptoms of addiction without being required to provide a medical diagnosis;
    Symptoms of a mental disorder; or
    Poverty and the crime was committed to meet an "immediate and basic need." For example, if a defendant argued they stole merchandise to sell for cash in order to purchase food, clothes or was trying to scrape together enough money for rent. The accused could not be convicted.

Seattle City Council mulls law that could result in dismissal of many misdemeanor crimes
https://komonews.com/news/local/seattle-city-council-mulls-plan-that-could-result-in-dismissal-of-many-misdemeanor-crimes

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
Re: More madness from Seattle
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 09:29:27 AM »
I'll drink to that.   >:D

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 09:32:27 AM »
I'll drink to that.   >:D

I guess if you're an alcoholic this would mean that you could walk into any liquor store and just steal a bottle or two whenever you felt like it.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 10:03:15 AM »
Makes me want to move to Seattle and start a business.  I guess to pay my employees $15 per hour to watch people walk out of the store with merchandise.  I am sure the cops will show up in force to put a stop to petty theft after that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 10:24:31 AM »
Makes me want to move to Seattle and start a business.  I guess to pay my employees $15 per hour to watch people walk out of the store with merchandise.  I am sure the cops will show up in force to put a stop to petty theft after that.

This very reason is why Bartell's, a local drugstore chain, have closed their stores in downtown Seattle.  The amount of retail shrinkage and injury to their employees was unsustainable.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 11:08:40 AM »
So what’s next? I guess we wait for the stores to close and then pass laws because there is a food desert.  [popcorn]
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 11:13:54 AM »
So what’s next? I guess we wait for the stores to close and then pass laws because there is a food desert.  [popcorn]

No what's next is they make it illegal to go close your store if you are in an "underserved area".

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 11:16:04 AM »
This very reason is why Bartell's, a local drugstore chain, have closed their stores in downtown Seattle.  The amount of retail shrinkage and injury to their employees was unsustainable.

Well obviously there needs to be a city ordnance prohibiting retailers from closing their stores because that's every bad "ist" thing there is... fascist, racist, capitalist, all bad!

They have a duty to serve the people of Seattle!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 11:55:16 AM »
Just read that Bartell's is being sold to Rite Aid corporation.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 12:24:50 PM »
So what’s next? I guess we wait for the stores to close and then pass laws because there is a food desert.  [popcorn]

IIRC that is already has or is happening in several cities.

We've got the city paying stores with tax payer money to open or stay open in the inner city
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2020, 12:31:14 PM »
When I work at Convenient back in the 80s had a manager tell me that he knew for a fact from the numbers that one of the stores in a certain part of town that at least 1/3  of what was leaving the store dollar wise had five finger discounts applied. That was back in the 80s.
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2020, 12:34:09 PM »
 :facepalm:

Many years ago .... probably 1980s,  I read a dystopia  S. F.  book in which you could get a license to commit crime.  Law enforcement existed but had largely gone covert, or underground,  enforced mainly only by "true believers"  who risked the wrath of what might be called "social justice warriors" today if outed.  It was entertaining,  but I sort of thought it wasn't really very realistic or probable.

[tinfoil]  I have changed  my mind on that ....  :facepalm:     :'(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 12:41:03 PM »
How's this for a long-term play in Seattle or any city:

Create circumstances in which many people leave the city which drives down property values.

Buy up the property at a discount.

Change the circumstances back to what they were before.

Sell or rent the property for a huge profit.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2020, 10:39:18 AM »
They're still pushing this with a new twist

The new twist is that Herbold wants the new legal defense to be added to the Seattle municipal code. It would provide an affirmative defense for someone who committed a crime because they need to meet a basic need to survive.

“The defendant would just have to prove that the needs fit within the definition of immediate basic need,” Asha Venkataraman, a member of the council’s Central Staff, told the Public Safety Committee.

Seattle City Council again mulls poverty defense for some accused suspects
https://komonews.com/amp/news/operation-crime-justice/seattle-city-council-again-mulls-poverty-defense-for-some-accused-suspects

So move to Seattle and just freely steal whatever you need.
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2020, 10:46:41 AM »
Aren’t there state laws against theft that would apply and not be impacted by a municipal code?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 10:49:33 AM »
Aren’t there state laws against theft that would apply and not be impacted by a municipal code?

I guess that would depend on whether or not state law on theft is preemptive in the State of Washington I would think.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2020, 11:31:54 AM »
Makes me want to move to Seattle and start a business.  I guess to pay my employees $15 per hour to watch people walk out of the store with merchandise.

Loophole time.

You steal your employees' pay to meet your immediate needs for food and rent.  And booze of course. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2020, 12:01:03 PM »
May they get what they want and deserve.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2020, 12:05:48 PM »
May they get what they want and deserve.

And not drag the rest of us down with them
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2020, 12:08:18 PM »
Might as well just get rid of the checkouts at stores. Just grab what you want, I mean *cough* need, and walk out.
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2020, 12:17:21 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2020, 12:22:34 PM »
That knock on your door? It might be someone attempting to take your home.

Police in suburbs north of Seattle say so-called “sovereign citizens” have been visiting homes in at least two communities, presenting homeowners with official-looking documents, and announcing that they’re the rightful owners.

In at least one case, a homeowner was told she was being evicted, Seattle’s KIRO-TV reported.

Reaching for my Biden shotgun
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2020, 12:52:52 PM »
Poor? Addicted to drugs? Mentally ill? Say hello to your get out of jail card.
What could possibly go wrong?

Seattle City Council mulls law that could result in dismissal of many misdemeanor crimes
https://komonews.com/news/local/seattle-city-council-mulls-plan-that-could-result-in-dismissal-of-many-misdemeanor-crimes

I think this concept is discriminatory. The people who don't have can't fabricate an [alleged[/i] mental health issue are being discriminated against by not being allowed to steal with impunity. It's an equal protection violation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design