Author Topic: Venison backstrap stuffed wrapped and smoked  (Read 1153 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Venison backstrap stuffed wrapped and smoked
« on: November 22, 2020, 10:41:21 AM »
Filling is diced and sautéed onion and mushroom mixed with bacon crumbles and fresh flatleaf parsley with enough cream cheese to make it sticky.
Butterfly a backstrap (loin roast) but don’t open the ends. Cut from one side when flat don’t go all the way through. It should look kinda like a canoe on its side.
Season inside with a little salt and pepper. Spoon filling into meat cavity until full.
Lay bacon strips flat on cutting board or wax paper. Edge to edge but not overlapping. Gently pull the closest ends down to lengthen the strips as much as possible and square them up. Place the filled meat across all the bacon strips and wrap by bringing the ends up and over the meat. If the backstrap is large you won’t get much overlap of the bacon strips and you might have to pin it with toothpicks.
Dust the top with a dry rub or some chipotle powder for a little color.
Grill with indirect heat or smoke with enough heat to color and firm the bacon wrap.
Cook to about 135 internal for a rare/medium rare.
Let rest 10-15 minutes and slice between bacon strips for fillets 1.25-1.5” thick.
I did mine in the pit barrel for about an hour and I throttled it up at the end so the bacon wasn’t rubbery and pale. Higher heat last 10 minutes when internal temp hit 125 or so.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:35:25 PM by Kingcreek »
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Venison backstrap stuffed rolled and smoked
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 12:14:13 PM »
I just finished a huge breakfast and reading that still makes me hungry.

My buddy fancies himself a venison chef (I agree, he does great) and I think I'll pass this idea along to him.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jim147

• friends
Re: Venison backstrap stuffed wrapped and smoked
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 12:27:43 AM »
Sounds good. I grew up on fried blackstrap steaks and gravy. Might try it.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG