Author Topic: Black Rifle Coffee Company is in a sh!tstorm.  (Read 6850 times)

Andiron

• friend
Re: Black Rifle Coffee Company is in a sh!tstorm.
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2021, 08:13:18 PM »

One doesn't have to be a Nazi to think reprisal to Antifa's antics is a good thing.  I have no issue with Rittenhouse.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2021, 10:01:50 PM »
To me, cancel culture is when I insist that no one support a company that has a different opinion than me. I generally don't do that, and Costco is only one example of me doing business with someone who disagrees with me.

That sounds more like a boycott.
https://www.wordnik.com/words/boycott

People started using the term "cancel culture," because of the phenomenon of private citizens or small businesses being targeted by harassment, mobs, character assassination, and calls for the person to be fired from jobs, board memberships, etc (even if unrelated to the issue). I don't know if the term existed that far back, but there was the woman who made a bad joke about African AIDS, on social media, in 2013. She made the post just before boarding a flight, and by the time she touched down in the Dark Continent, she was already let go from her job in, of all things, public relations.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2021, 12:36:00 AM »
Are the proud boys still being led by a black guy, or is he in the fed?
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2021, 04:10:44 AM »
Are the proud boys still being led by a black guy, or is he in the fed?

He WAS a fed [informant].

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2021, 11:04:49 AM »
Over the years I've noticed that the Left is quite expert at suckering us into embarrassing ourselves.

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2021, 03:20:39 PM »
Well Tummy Muncher seems like just a lot of fun at parties.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2021, 03:30:09 PM »
Well Tummy Muncher seems like just a lot of fun at parties.

I suspect (s)he is just shilling for Stocking Mill Coffee.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2021, 03:54:40 PM »
I suspect (s)he is just shilling for Stocking Mill Coffee.

:laugh:

I'd never even heard of them until this latest BRCC kerfuffle, but now have seen them mentioned in almost every forum discussion about BRCC.

I've actually, at least for a while, quite the BRCC, as well as the Arbuckle, Death Wish, and pretty much all the boutique coffees. I mean they all make good (and bad) coffee, but it really is all about the target marketing and who puts out the coolest looking coffee bags with the coolest coffee names and stuff.

I've been trying to buy local more, and there is a really good coffee company here. I discovered them in the "buy Idaho" section of my Costco. The coffee tastes just as good as the boutique brands, the only difference being is that I get a 2lb bag of their coffee they have the Costco deal with for $21 instead of a 12oz bag of BRCC for $15 (plus shipping).

Yeah, BRCC gives part of the price to vet causes, but not much per bag. I was at the grocery store on Saturday and the local VFW had their table there with the "tip jar". I threw in a benjamin. For me to give that much through BRCC, I'd have to buy like $3000 worth of coffee.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2021, 09:26:15 PM »
Ben, I gotta admit, lately I"ve been buying grocery store (Kroger) brand coffee.  Trying to save money for a gun!

I still like BRCC, but I can get a box of like 48 pods of the store brand for $20.  That might buy me 10 from BRCC.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2021, 11:04:40 PM »
I’ve never bought BRCC because I don’t drink much coffee (and tend to be frugal about coffee anyhow) and that is unlikely to be a brand my wife asks for.

That said, I doubt they have a product that truly justifies the cost. Oh, I’m sure it is a passable coffee, and I know they have a variety to suit different tastes, but when it comes down to it they are little different than a graphic T-shirt company - they are selling an image on a luxury product and a feeling far more than a product judged on quality and price alone.  You could buy a plain T-shirt with no special decoration for a few bucks, or you could spend $25+s&h for the same shirt with some cool logo or funny graphic on it.  Most people buy BRCC not because they can’t find a comparable product in that price range, but because Guns! and America! and Vets! and Cool Videos!

If the founders choose to publicly proclaim that Rittenhouse was a racist murderer and that the Proud Boys are racist thugs (and for the record I don’t believe either of those positions survive a fair analysis of the facts) then they are appearing to parrot the lies of the Left which serves to reduce their appeal to not insignificant part of their audience without - I would wager - picking up any significant number of customers from the people who share those opinions. I’d guess that there aren’t a whole lot of people who would otherwise love to buy into the BRCC image but just abjectly hate people who believe western culture is the best culture or anyone who would shoot some violent pedos at a BLM riot.

BRCC seems like they can afford to lose some business and maybe they want to achieve more mainstream success by throwing some hate at what they see as the fringe of their customer base. In any case, if that is the actual stance of the company, I think it pollutes the image that they have tried to create. And I hope their sales decline because of it.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2021, 11:46:46 PM »
I agree with Cordex, pretty much exactly where I was at with it.

Jim147

• friends
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2021, 07:43:51 AM »
"As Black Rifle Coffee blocks conservatives, it's important to understand that CEO @EvanHafer hired ActBlue Dem donors to run his IT and social media."

Well isn't that special...

They're controlling BRCC's forward facing media image...

I wonder how much they're controlling Hafer's image?

I suspect... a lot.

Reminds me of the Dick Metcalf situation... And should be dealt with in the same way.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2021, 08:24:33 AM »
"As Black Rifle Coffee blocks conservatives, it's important to understand that CEO @EvanHafer hired ActBlue Dem donors to run his IT and social media."

They also seem to have hired some kind of diversity executive.

It's almost becoming a freeway car crash. No matter whose fault it was, you can't help but slow down and look.

Hafer has just made some terrible PR mistakes, whether those are his or whether they are due to the influence of his "social media" people, they are not helping him. He is also defending the Saint Michael thing with the excuse that "The Pentagon said...", which is pretty lame. Again, I compare it to the "OK" sign kerfuffle. If you're stupid enough to accept that the OK sign or Saint Michael are "extremist white supremacy", you're a moron.

In many ways this BRCC thing is bringing some of the brovet stuff to the forefront. We just recently saw how MoH recipient Dakota Meyer went off about "civilians who never served" doing firearms training involving stuff like black rifles,  body armor, and NODs. There seems to be a subset cadre of tatted up young vets on the youtube and social media and "vet owned companies" making distinctions between vets with cool guns and the Second Amendment.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2021, 08:48:21 AM »
Their last delivery of beans was a bit different

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2021, 09:18:37 AM »
I believe him that the focus of the interview was not ragging on conservatives and that the reporter focused on the salacious parts of the conversation, but he knew he was doing an interview with NYT and said himself that he knew there wasn't much chance of them being objective.  Maybe he thought he was smart enough to do an off-the-cuff interview with a friendly-seeming reporter that he knew was not likely to be acting in good faith.  That's not something I'd personally feel capable enough to tackle.  I'd be inclined to either refuse interviews with hostile media outright or only provide pre-written (and carefully crafted) answers to them.

If I didn't follow political things pretty closely I'd probably make the same kind of mistakes about - for instance - assuming the Proud Boys are far-right racists, but if you're going to talk to a hostile reporter you should probably stick to the stuff that you know.  "I reject racism and antisemitism both personally and professionally.  Now, with regards to our coffee and veterans programs ..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2021, 01:12:34 PM »
On the local coffee, I don't know why I thought it was $21. I just got back from Costco where I bought another bag for $12. So $6/lb vs around $35/lb for a 12oz bag, or $15/lb for a 5lb bag from the boutique brands, for coffee that is of equal quality.

Again, nothing against the boutique brands - I was buying them myself for the reasons Cordex outlined. Having good coffee in a "conversation starter" bag, or because they tie in with a hobby or lifestyle or whatever, can be fun, and people should be able to spend their money however they want.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2021, 01:37:29 PM »
cordex mentioned,

"...a reporter...  he knew was not likely to be acting in good faith.  That's not something I'd personally feel capable enough to tackle.  I'd be inclined to either refuse interviews with hostile media outright or only provide pre-written (and carefully crafted) answers to them."

Like.  But total refusal gets you "..did not respond to our phone calls / messages / inquiries," pick one or all.  It's like taking the Fifth.  You must be guilty, you scoundrel, you.

Makes you wish you could use the cop cop-out about "ongoing investigation."  That one works for years... even decades, I suppose.

I guess an equivalent would be "our Pantywaist Department is reviewing the situation..."

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 01:53:19 PM by 230RN »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2021, 07:49:51 PM »
Another opinion:

https://www.revolver.news/2021/07/black-rifle-coffee-new-york-times/

Well, hard to argue with:

This entire episode only happened because of how trivially easy it is to pander to the American right. Black Rifle just slapped guns, camo, and the flag on whatever it could, added a dose of performative masculinity (Want to prove you’re manly? Just say “*expletive deleted*ck” a lot!), and then raked in cash exploiting the same demographic that likes to “own the libs” by buying overpriced Dr. Seuss books on eBay.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2021, 08:34:32 PM »
Only ever bought one bag and it was meh
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2021, 08:45:48 PM »
I think I can make a fair bid to be objective about all this. I've given BRC as a gift, and received it, too. That was then. I don't regret it. After this, I have no use for them, but the past is another country. It wouldn't have made sense to refuse to patronize a company that signaled our values, because they might go Quisling at some later point in time.

On coffee, I've had my share of the fancy stuff, with and without frou-frou toppings. I've had BRCC's coffee, but I have no idea if it's particularly good or bad. Coffee is pretty much coffee to me.*

On the BRCC crowd specifically, something about their videos annoyed me early on. Probably because the bikini snapping and vulgarity is the kind of cheap faux-edginess (mixed with fan service) that requires little imagination, and less class. Whatever it was, I don't think I criticized them that much. After all, they seemed like patriotic Americans, and we have enough friendly fire on our side of the conflict.

But as I said, they've thrown in with the Bolshevik-fascists, so let them go their way without another dime from us. 

*Unless you're letting animals (or humans) eat and - uh - digest your beans before you sell them to me. That's nasty.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife