Author Topic: Mandalorian Politics  (Read 7560 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Mandalorian Politics
« on: November 23, 2020, 08:12:54 PM »
I don't have Disney, so haven't seen the show. Maybe I will if it ever hits DVD. However, I keep getting hits in my news feed about one of the actresses, Gina Carano. Apparently she committed the capitol crime of both saying she doesn't like covid masks and that she thinks there was fishy stuff in the elections. I guess the fan base had an uprising demanding she be fired for her personal views, and Disney will likely comply. This is where we are, folks.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/gina-carano-mandalorian-fired-plan.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Mandalorian Politics
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 08:16:56 PM »
These *expletive deleted*ing SJWs...don’t forget they are up in arms over Baby Yoda 🙄
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 08:21:48 PM »
People also got upset with The Child, aka Baby Yoda, eating the spawn of a passenger.

Actually how the story is going, with Din Djardin, "Mando", trying to get Baby Yoda to the Jedi, and Cara Dune isn't on the crew, it appears she wasn't going to be in the story very long anyways.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 08:33:21 PM »
She starred in a Soderbergh film a while back. I think it's worth watching.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1506999/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 08:46:11 PM »
People were also upset with Gina Carano because she refused to put her personal pronouns in her Twitter bio.  (at least I think it was Twitter)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 09:09:35 PM »
I like the cut of her jib. She doesn’t seem to be one who is willing to be intimidated by the mob.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 11:20:05 PM »
After the Chris Pratt is a conservative thing I don't think they will let her go.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 04:18:43 AM »
That website is just making *expletive deleted*it up.  Disney has given no indication they are going to fire Gina.  The website tries to look like an news article but they give the game away with all the "might" and "could"s.

FWIW, I follow Gina Carano on Twitter and have read several of these threads firsthand.  There are some SJWs calling for her firing, but most people that don't  like her tweets are "I don't like her politics, but the show is good" type, and a lot of folks are supportive. I have come to believe that a lot of these "news" stories where "fans are calling for" something are either fiction to hit a word count quota, or the author is themselves  "fans".

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 10:31:35 AM »
I kinda, sorta believed that the SJW class was a pretty small part of our  330 million Americans.  Just really, really noisy.  But then 70+ million Americans voted for Biden/Harris.  I'm not so sure I believe that any more.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 10:43:12 AM »
The people who voted for Biden aren't necessarily SJW. They comprise largely

--simple, loyal democrats who vote for their team in all circumstances. These people don't need any reasons or policies in their decision.
--never trumpers and people who are less anti-trump than the never trumpers, but they do have reasoning, or more likely that modern substitute for reasoning, an internal narrative, that causes them to think orange man bad. The majority of these think that way because their information sources (including biased media and people in group 1) told them so (something about Russia and COVID and division and racist). Accuracy of the narrative is far less important than that it has reasonable internal consistency (believability) and that it's repeated by many different information sources over time (perception of credibility and consensus), so these people think that they are making their preferred, informed choice.
--a bunch of even less principled people who have only a vague idea of anything, but they voted for biden to make the social unease stop. These people would rather have a bad president and a bad direction for the nation, or even a bad policies for themselves, while otherwise being told by their information sources that everything is better, than to have a better president or better policies but have to endure shrieking. For these, perception is reality and their information sources gave them the perception that Trump must be stopped and voting for Biden would be a vote for the old normal (like with Obama) where (they were told) everything was better, and we were making progress, and there weren't riots and we were united, even while our president was selling guns to Mexican cartels, droning people left and right, and spying on his political opponents using the government, and actually doing nothing at all for black people. These people sense a vague threat in the air, and they voted with their lizard brain to "make the threat go away".

The Democrats have learned that they can win elections by swaying only the 2nd and 3rd group. Maybe just the 3rd group. The first group is a gimme. Actual policies are way, way down the list of things that impact their ability to hold power with all 3 groups, and you can tell that by their candidate choices.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:55:15 AM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 11:23:13 AM »
Or, in other words,  we get the government we so richly deserve.   >:D [barf]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 06:07:50 PM »
The people who voted for Biden aren't necessarily SJW. They comprise largely

--simple, loyal democrats who vote for their team in all circumstances. These people don't need any reasons or policies in their decision.
--never trumpers and people who are less anti-trump than the never trumpers, but they do have reasoning, or more likely that modern substitute for reasoning, an internal narrative, that causes them to think orange man bad. The majority of these think that way because their information sources (including biased media and people in group 1) told them so (something about Russia and COVID and division and racist). Accuracy of the narrative is far less important than that it has reasonable internal consistency (believability) and that it's repeated by many different information sources over time (perception of credibility and consensus), so these people think that they are making their preferred, informed choice.
--a bunch of even less principled people who have only a vague idea of anything, but they voted for biden to make the social unease stop. These people would rather have a bad president and a bad direction for the nation, or even a bad policies for themselves, while otherwise being told by their information sources that everything is better, than to have a better president or better policies but have to endure shrieking. For these, perception is reality and their information sources gave them the perception that Trump must be stopped and voting for Biden would be a vote for the old normal (like with Obama) where (they were told) everything was better, and we were making progress, and there weren't riots and we were united, even while our president was selling guns to Mexican cartels, droning people left and right, and spying on his political opponents using the government, and actually doing nothing at all for black people. These people sense a vague threat in the air, and they voted with their lizard brain to "make the threat go away".

The Democrats have learned that they can win elections by swaying only the 2nd and 3rd group. Maybe just the 3rd group. The first group is a gimme. Actual policies are way, way down the list of things that impact their ability to hold power with all 3 groups, and you can tell that by their candidate choices.

You are likely correct and what a sad thing that is for America.  Today Biden announced a new cabinet position--Bureau of Climate Change.  Put the French looking candidate in charge.  Sigh.....
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 06:12:05 PM »
You are likely correct and what a sad thing that is for America.  Today Biden announced a new cabinet position--Bureau of Climate Change.  Put the French looking candidate in charge.  Sigh.....

What did  I read this morning about that? Something like, "At least he'll be able to fly his private jet all over Eastern Europe staying in luxury chalets again."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 06:55:16 PM »

I guess I didn't know that presidents can just create cabinet positions on a whim. Those people draw salaries, and I thought the Congress was in charge of the budget.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 07:26:39 PM »
I am interested to see how some here generalize as much about the 'opposing side' as does the Left.  I can entertain a worldview that good and decent people of any political persuasion can vote for the candidate of their choice, and their choice does not mean they are stupid or unprincipled.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2020, 07:41:26 PM »
I am interested to see how some here generalize as much about the 'opposing side' as does the Left.  I can entertain a worldview that good and decent people of any political persuasion can vote for the candidate of their choice, and their choice does not mean they are stupid or unprincipled.

It does if they vote for Marxist/Leninists/libtards and other BLM/antifa sympathizers. :old:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zahc

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2020, 11:53:54 PM »
I am interested to see how some here generalize as much about the 'opposing side' as does the Left.  I can entertain a worldview that good and decent people of any political persuasion can vote for the candidate of their choice, and their choice does not mean they are stupid or unprincipled.

Most of the dynamic I mentioned works in both directions. Same groups, same strategies. The difference between the two sides is that the left has the media, and they have population centers with propoganda influence. So they win, based mainly on that alone, quite apart from any issues of policy. Heck, it's obvious that Trump got elected based mainly on his clever manipulation of the media. He couldn't pull it off a second time though. If you ever doubted it, these 4 years of Trump should have completely yanked the curtains away and erased any doubt about how completely and overwhelmingly biased the media are, and the election of Biden/Harris ticket should have confirmed how powerful that media is...to the point that it's all that matters. And a little strategic election fraud maybe helps too.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2020, 09:49:54 AM »
Spoiler alert, I got up early today, she's in today's episode.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2020, 10:34:36 AM »
There's a fight going on for the "right" to continue liking Star Wars, inside the Fandom.

On one side you have the Disney Sequel fans.  They paid their $10 for a movie ticket to the new movies, are passingly familiar with the Original Trilogy after having seen on on TBS 10 years ago during family Thanksgiving, and like pink hair.

On the other side you have the pre-Disney fans.  They're age segregated between Millennials, who tend to favor the Prequels, and Gen X'ers, who tend to favor the Original Trilogy.  Each saw all 6 movies in theaters, most likely multiple times, are familiar with the original theatrical cut vs Lucas Edits of the OT, and probably sat in line for hours or even overnight for tickets to opening night showings.  Many of them spent hundreds of dollars reading the array of novels set in the Star Wars universe, and hundreds more buying a slew of Star Wars video games titles.  And some others (or even the same ones) have hundreds of dollars sunk into action figures and toys.

Most of the pre-Disney fans dislike the new movies.  They also love the Mandalorian, because it brings in something new to Star Wars while respecting the legacy established canon rather than disregarding it.  The Mandalorian is more popular than the Disney Sequel trilogy, and is more likely to carry canon story elements forward as a result of that.  There's talk of using some dubious cartoon-level tropes from the Star Wars Rebels cartoon in order to effectively undo and erase the Sequel trilogy from the Star Wars timeline.  That's a massive middle finger to Mary Sue Palpatine and Kathleen "Force is Female" Kennedy and her all female activist story group.

There are two levers being used by each group in this fight.  The Disney fans are using social media and mob shaming, mostly aimed at Gina Carano, but also at the Mandalorian show in general.  It's the element keeping the whole franchise afloat, that the legacy fans still like and give money to.  The pre-Disney fans are mostly quiet, and use money as their weapon.  Sequel trilogy toys sold like dead flies sitting on cow patties.  Video games in Star Wars are hit or miss for the market.  Stuff set in the OT era or Old Republic sells well, stuff set in the Disney Sequel era does poorly.  De-canonizing the hundreds of Star Wars novels that we all read didn't set well with us, and we're not buying any new novels as a result.  And we're not flocking to the theaters to re-watch the Sequels multiple times, or particularly ravenous to buy them on boxed media.  I lost count of how many boxed sets of VHS, laser disc and DVD of the various pre-Disney 6 movies I had.  And we're not going to their new Star Wars theme park, set in Sequel territory.  But we are consuming the Mandalorian.

Pissing off the pre-Disney fans will torpedo the franchise, in my opinion.  Destroying the Mandalorian will cause the pre-Disney fans to abandon it all together.  Carano is the kind of female protagonist that the pre-Disney fans like.  She plays a unique character, but her character has the same stature as Ellen Ripley or Sarah Connor or Diana Prince.  I hope to see her Alderaanian arc play out through more of the show, to see some pain and some challenges and growth as a result of that.  She's got a lot more to offer to the story than Mary Sue Palpatine did to the Sequel trilogy.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2020, 11:02:56 AM »
^^^What an interesting analysis.  I stood in line for hours to see the very first movie at the Cinerama 150 in downtown Seattle.  I happen to like the Mandalorian.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2020, 11:10:01 AM »
I would add that a lot of folks that like the Mandolorian probably also watched, and enjoyed,  The Clone Wars.  Personally I think that series actually helped out the prequel trilogy, story-wise.

But there is a group of fans that like well written story based Star Wars with engaging characters. Like AZ said, those folks didn't really engage with the sequel trilogy, but seem to like the Mandolorian.  We'll see if Money or Social Media holds more sway with the Mouse when Kathleen Kennedy's replacement is announced.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2020, 11:11:58 AM »
Millennials, who tend to favor the Prequels
:O
I thought the prequels were pretty universally hated? I guess I'm out of touch.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2020, 11:18:42 AM »
One more thing to take note of, is the Mandalorian is a resurgence of classical masculinity as an attribute of heroism.

And it is echoed by The Witcher.  Both stories rhyme quite well with each other.  You have a stoic bounty hunter with no attachments anywhere, and he takes in a mystical Chosen Ward.  He will need help from Wizards to train and mold his Ward so it can reach its full potential.  And dark forces wish to corrupt that Ward for untoward ends.  A fatherly bond is formed between the Ward and the guardian bounty hunter.

Leftist entertainment has spent 20 years pushing the bumbling incompetent urban man, and the wry and tolerant and capable woman as the heroine, as the default.  The simultaneous rise of this story, in two separate venues, is due to some producers noting a societal need/hunger and providing a response to it.  And the response has taken seed.

These shows will become cultural touchstones that reverberate for a generation, IMO.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2020, 11:21:10 AM »
:O
I thought the prequels were pretty universally hated? I guess I'm out of touch.

They were pretty badly panned at release, yeah.  Every phase of Anakin was just... terrible.

But for the 6-10 year olds who watched the Maul duel, it was epic.  Especially in comparison to the rather tame sword fights in the OT.
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2020, 11:30:02 AM »
I would add that a lot of folks that like the Mandolorian probably also watched, and enjoyed,  The Clone Wars.  Personally I think that series actually helped out the prequel trilogy, story-wise.

But there is a group of fans that like well written story based Star Wars with engaging characters. Like AZ said, those folks didn't really engage with the sequel trilogy, but seem to like the Mandolorian.  We'll see if Money or Social Media holds more sway with the Mouse when Kathleen Kennedy's replacement is announced.

The Clone Wars appears to have a HUGE following with vets, particularly Marines, because they seem to identify very closely with the story of the Clones.

Once Filoni's story group noticed that, they did away with the kid-friendly nature of the show, matured Ahsoka a few years and built a good character arc for her to go through, started killing things in a way that you don't typically do in a cartoon, and wrote a fanfuckingtastic seventh season that includes an amazing quasi-movie in 4 episodes that are basically the Ahsoka movie, happening in parallel with Revenge of the Sith.  For those episodes they did away with the cartoon music that was merely derivative of the Williams score, and scored the episodes using true Williams score.  Animation was modified to be smoother, and motion capture was used for swordfight choreography (they brought in Ray Parks to reprise Maul's fights for the cartoons).

The Clone Troopers from the Seventh Season had immense respect and love for Ahsoka, and she for them, and I think this is a huge reason why the Mandalorian is booming.  Ahsoka is more than a fan favorite, she's the embodiment of the best of the Clone Troopers and the best of the Jedi.  She's a dangerous character to reintroduce with 20 years missing in her timeline that remain unestablished, but they took that risk and maintained her integrity.  They didn't do that with Luke.

Edit to add:  What they did to Luke Skywalker hurt a lot of huge Star Wars supernerdfans like me, pretty badly.  There are bigger supernerdfans than me out there, but at my peak I had read probably 50-60 of the 90's era novels, had at least a dozen various video games set in the universe, knew the dialogue to the OT by heart, no one wanted to play the Star Wars Trivial Pursuit game with me because I knew all the source material the game was built upon, I didn't see A New Hope or ESB in theaters since I was born in 1978 but I did see the Return of the Jedi in theaters in the 80's and I camped out overnight to see the Remasters release in the 90's as well as the Prequels in the 2000's.  If I had to lose memory of all fictional heroes from my youth but one, I would save Luke Skywalker.

Destroying Luke like they did, doing away with the stories with Thrawn and Mara Jade... and then giving us that pathetic cowardly hermit... was unconscionable. 

And turning Han into a deadbeat dad and runaway husband was pretty awful too.

I come from a pretty dramatic and messed up family with a nasty divorce and a shitty deadbeat dad that beat my brother and I had to threaten with a knife at one point to protect him.  Police, CPS and all sorts of legal proceedings were unable to protect us.  I found a lot of parallels and meaning and value in the Star Wars story that meant a lot to me through all this (whether true or not, or good or not, is a discussion for another time) and destroying Luke like that does NOT sit well with me.  I have a pretty visceral rejection reflex to the whole arc of the Sequel trilogy.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 11:44:46 AM by AZRedhawk44 »
--Lysander Spooner