Author Topic: That columnist and his burger dinner complaint  (Read 1643 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
That columnist and his burger dinner complaint
« on: September 27, 2023, 12:32:56 AM »
Recently, a New York Times columnist named David Brooks took to the social media site formerly known as Twitter to complain that a burger and fries at Newark Airport cost him $78, and he posted this as evidence of why people aren't happy with the economy.

Some people shouldn't post when they're under the influence. It seems some people who saw his tweet (are posts still "tweets" if the site is no longer Twitter?) did a bit of sleuthing and figured out that he didn't pay $78 for a Big Mac or a Whopper. In fact, it seems he ate at an upscale BBQ restaurant -- that has a bar. And then the restaurant piled on, providing receipts showing that 80% of his bill was for booze.

https://www.comicsands.com/david-brooks-newark-airport-burger-2665735035.html

[ar15]  [ar15]  [ar15]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: That columnist and his burger dinner complaint
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 06:46:32 AM »
But it was an attention grabbing subject that provoked emotion and generated clicks. Isn't that's what's really important?
NYTimes columnist
Yes. That's what's really important
7-11 was a part time job.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 07:28:51 AM »
A staffer at the New York Times lying, er.... spinning... something?

Sorry, that can't be true. The Times is the bastion of truth, justice, democracy, and the American way in the time of Trump Fascist Nazis taking over the whole world.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 07:33:58 AM »
Wow, holy crap! Talk about an "In your face *expletive deleted*ck you!" of monumental proportions!

"For their part, however, 1911 Smokehouse and Barbecue has set the record straight in the shadiest way possible. They recently introduced a "D Brooks" special that includes a burger, fries and a double whiskey on the rocks for a cool $17.78."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 07:37:17 AM »
In other word he ran the bill up by ordering $$$ drinks and then tried to shame the restaurant.
Biden should issue a liquor bill forgiveness EO
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 08:27:30 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 11:04:23 AM »
Ben, instead of Spaghetti O's you could have used a can of this:

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain