Author Topic: Lentil soup... putting this here...  (Read 1840 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Lentil soup... putting this here...
« on: December 02, 2020, 10:01:59 AM »
because I want to give it a try this winter.

It looks simple, but looks good...

Lentil soup is one of those soups that really doesn't do it for me... unless it's cold and a bit snowy out. Then, for some reason, it's perfect.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-absolute-best-lentil-soup?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Lentil soup... putting this here...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 10:58:37 AM »
Throw in some spicy sausage and I think it would be quite tasty. What spicy sausage is up to you, I think I would really like grilled/browned Andouille slices added to each bowl when serving.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 10:04:47 AM »
Decided I'm going to give this one a try this weekend. It should be fairly chill, and it's always good to have simple leftovers for dinners during the week.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 11:08:45 PM »
Store stuff, the Amy's brand found in the hippies section of the grocery has a dal that is quite tasty. https://www.amys.com/our-foods/indian-golden-lentil-soup

Also a curried lentil, haven't tried that yet. As hippie brands go I tend to like a lot of Amy's stuff.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

robear

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 04:28:26 PM »
I've tried quite a few of that Amy's brand and it is actually pretty good for 'food factory fare', even the frozen stuff.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 06:08:39 PM »
Ok. Decent soup. Not great, but good.

Made it straight up, no meat.

Only thing I did was put a dollop of sour cream in the bowl.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 03:53:21 PM »
Thinking about this some more...

I think changing to beef broth would be a good thing.

Cut down on the carrots, or eliminate them. They were kind of bitter (one of my primary complaints with cooked carrots).

Add some black pepper and bay leaves during the simmer phase.

It was good vegetarian, but it really does need some meat. I agree with Charby, a spicy sausage would be just the ticket.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 07:31:34 AM »
if you have an Asia mart try to get some japanese kuroda carrots. Very sweet. I think bitter in general comes from whatever ungodly time our carrots spend in storage. I grew a bunch right outside my door this year and they were all sweeter than the store ones.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 09:26:32 AM »
Yeah, root vegetables tend to convert a lot of their natural sugar into starch as they're stored. I generally use baby carrots for cooked applications because they tend to be sweeter than the larger carrots, but that's never a given.

Interesting on the Japanese carrots. Never heard of them.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 09:58:20 PM »
When I was growing up, Mom cooked more often than not.  But, there were some meals/dishes that were Dad's.   One was his veggie soup.  It was stupid simple.  Beef tail and some cheap beef browned in some oil in his big pot.  Some flour for a basic roux.  Seasoning, some water, and canned diced tomatoes.  Simmered for a few hours.  Lentils added.  When they got tender, he would add cans of veggies. Whatever he had on hand.  He used canned to makes sure the veggies were all done at the same time, and because it was easy.  That was it.  Served with saltines and butter. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark