Author Topic: Polymer80 Raided By ATF In An Apparent Move Against “Ghost Guns”  (Read 5256 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/12/11/polymer80-raided-ghost-guns/
BREAKING: Polymer80 Raided By ATF In An Apparent Move Against “Ghost Guns”

The raid target, Nevada-based Polymer80, is suspected of illegally manufacturing and distributing firearms, failing to pay taxes, shipping guns across state lines and failing to conduct background investigations, according to an application for a search warrant unsealed Thursday after the raid took place.

The probe focuses on Polymer80’s “Buy Build Shoot Kit,” which includes the parts to build a “ghost” handgun. The kit, which Polymer80 sells online, meets the definition of a firearm, ATF investigators determined according to the warrant application. That means it would have to be stamped with a serial number and couldn’t be sold to consumers who haven’t first passed a background check.

I assume they have seized their customer records as well.  Stay safe and know your rights.  

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/12/atf-raids-polymer80s-office-claiming-company-is-illegally-selling-guns/#axzz6gKrTlgCm
Ammoland article. 

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2020/12/atf-raids-polymer80s-office-claiming-company-is-illegally-selling-guns/#ixzz6gKtD81S8
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

It is unclear what this means for people that purchased the kits from Polymer80. The ATF has yet to indicate if they believe those buyers own illegal firearms. Right now, the case is just involving the “Buy Build Shoot Kit” line of products because it comes with everything needed to complete the gun. Polymer80 does have a determination letter that their frame is NOT a firearm. It is unclear whether the ATF would consider one of their 80% frames a gun if the customer added everything they needed to complete it to their cart separately.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaZNaaJlpEg
Hank Strange is live now talking about it.  They mentioned the goal may have been to seize customer records to run against the FBI database. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
This rule by fiat has to stop.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
Sounds like they are just seizing stuff and making up rules afterward, IIRC, they did something like to cavalry arms- shutting them down on some ticky-tacky area of the law.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Sounds like they are just seizing stuff and making up rules afterward, IIRC, they did something like to cavalry arms- shutting them down on some ticky-tacky area of the law.

Bullscat about left and right halves of the uppers, IIRC.  They were more than 80% but not yet serialed/labeled or something like that (since they could be taped together rather than vibro-seamed or whatever they did as final assembly).

From the Cavalry Arms raid:

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
It’s good to remember names and agencies who aren’t our friends, as more interesting times approach.

Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
It’s good to remember names and agencies who aren’t our friends, as more interesting times approach.

That's easy to remember:  all of them.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System

This one was on the list a long long time ago.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
I think of it more as an accountability roster rather than a list..
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

dogmush

• friend
Every time I see a thin blue line sticker/flag, or one of my gun groups talks about "supporting the badge", I think of stuff like this.

Law Enforcement in the US is pretty hard to support these days.

Andiron

• friend
Every time I see a thin blue line sticker/flag, or one of my gun groups talks about "supporting the badge", I think of stuff like this.

Law Enforcement in the US is pretty hard to support these days.

The cognitive dissonance of having a Gadsden flag and "back the blue"/ thin blue line sticker on the same pickup is terrifying.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
ATF is on an emboldened push. This, the pistol braces, and I heard today they are going after the “solvent traps” and “portable key hanger” type stuff plus cross referencing buyers of such with auto parts and so on. We had a relatively lax era from them but now we are returning to the “shoestring machine gun” type nonsense from them.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
ATF is on an emboldened push. This, the pistol braces, and I heard today they are going after the “solvent traps” and “portable key hanger” type stuff plus cross referencing buyers of such with auto parts and so on. We had a relatively lax era from them but now we are returning to the “shoestring machine gun” type nonsense from them.

Huh?  What are those things?   ???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Huh?  What are those things?   ???

Solvent trap: muzzle device adapter to thread an oil filter onto. Mediocre supressor.
Portable key hanger: drop in auto sear disguised as a wall hook.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends

Easy to find youtube videos of guys being contacted by ATF after buying automotive filters.

It's a good idea to keep in mind that most police officers/LEOs are not highly paid individuals and many of them live paycheck to paycheck.
If it comes down to enforcing unconstitutional orders or being unemployed it is my opinion that 95%+ will default to their paycheck.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend

It's a good idea to keep in mind that most police officers/LEOs are not highly paid individuals and many of them live paycheck to paycheck.
If it comes down to enforcing unconstitutional orders or being unemployed it is my opinion that 95%+ will default to their paycheck.

Agreed. We should also all spend a little time lurking on one or more of the "cop" discussion forums. If you spend more than ten minutes on any of those sites, you will see that most of them not only subscribe to but are heavily invested in an "us vs. them" mentality. They do NOT see themselves as citizens serving other citizens. They (most of them) see themselves as being members of an elite group, totally different than and separate from, the rest of the population. You will also see constant reminders that the foremost rule for most of them is that the only thing that matters is that they go home at the end of their shift. If they have to violate a few constitutional rights or break a few heads in order to do that -- well. that's just collateral damage.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
Knock Knock

GHOSTED: ATF Visiting End Users; Requesting Forfeiture Of Polymer80 Kits
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/12/11/polymer80-kits/?fbclid=IwAR17r0czoC92bCInej9b3hgp91fTdOnsX4oLS4dDVY2SiMl2upvZ5yPe6wg

Midway and Brownells got visits too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_F9cvI9RMg

ATF Internal Leaks Shows An Even Greater Crack Down On 80% Frames ~ VIDEO
https://www.ammoland.com/2020/12/atf-internal-leaks-shows-even-greater-crack-down-80-frames/#axzz6gN1yGexZ
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
[tinfoil on]

I have to wonder about the timing of this. Were there similar episodes between 2016 and say, mid-2020? I have a little bit of "deep state" tickling the back of my brain on this. Higher level (SES level) ATF people who hate guns, but couldn't do anything under Trump. Now maybe getting a head start engaging in stuff they can get away with under a 46 administration (Hi Beto!).

[tinfoil off]
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
Devil's Advocate Mode On

Bump stocks, arm braces, and 80% Kits could be viewed as walking a thin line between legal definitions and could be seen as an act, from the ATF's POV, of poking the bear. Well the bear got tired of being poked.
Not taking the ATF's side here just stating what may be their viewpoint on this for discussion purposes so don't flame me.

Devil's Advocate Mode Off

Now that said. It's legal or it's not. Don't go saying it's legal one day and then the next say you changed your mind so turn it over. The ATF has more mood swings than a feminist convention on the rag and that has to stop.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 09:40:58 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
I predict binary and similar triggers are next
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
Solvent trap: muzzle device adapter to thread an oil filter onto. Mediocre supressor.
Portable key hanger: drop in auto sear disguised as a wall hook.
The solvent trap is basically a suppressor with no holes drilled through it.  Theoretically, you buy one with the intention of doing a form 1 to build a suppressor.  From what I have seen, they don't perform well.  On the oil filters, I once saw a serial numbered muzzle device you could thread an oil filter onto.  I don't think they allow you to do that anymore.

Mrgunsngear did these videos recently.
Solvent Trap Silencers: Do They Actually Work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKRjaT9PVGo

Oil Filter As A Silencer: Does It Really Work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EExnpnXW7Wc

On the key hanger, there was a guy on some forum who was selling plastic wall hangers that were 3D printed.  Part of the hanger was the plastic piece needed to make a Glock pistol full auto.  He was arrested as I heard it.

MechAg94

• friend
I predict binary and similar triggers are next
That may be, but they going after 80% stuff and braces will likely keep them busy a while.

WLJ

• friends
Just got a Classic Firearms E-mail advertising the Polymer80 Glock kits  :facepalm:
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Just got a Classic Firearms E-mail advertising the Polymer80 Glock kits  :facepalm:

Gotta sell 'em before they're confiscated ya know.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

brimic

• friends
I wonder how long until 3D printers become restricted?

Barack Obama