Author Topic: Beef Bourguignon  (Read 10075 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Beef Bourguignon
« on: December 15, 2020, 05:01:12 PM »
Never had it, can't spell it, but the Epoch Times had a write-up on it in this week's hardcopy edition, and the recipe sounds delicious and the picture looked delicious. Doesn't seem more time consuming than many other things I've made, so I think I want to try it.

I know some of you can't or don't want to go to the ET, so I've posted the recipe below. The link has some other interesting info though.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/how-to-make-classic-beef-bourguignon-the-ultimate-winter-comfort-food_3590762.html

RECIPE: Classic French Beef Bourguignon

To make this big, earthy stew, you will need a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven (about 6 quarts) that can go from the stovetop to the oven.

If you have any leftovers, just know that beef bourguignon tastes even better reheated the next day.

Serves 4

2 1/2 to 3 pounds boneless stewing beef (such as beef chuck), cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
    8 ounces lardons, or bacon (5 to 6 slices) cut across the grain into thin matchsticks
    4 sprigs thyme
    3 bay leaves
    3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
    10 pearl onions, peeled
    4 to 5 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
    2 cups red wine
    2 tablespoons brandy
    2 cups beef broth, or more as needed
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1/4 cup flour
    6 to 7 sprigs parsley, for garnish

For the Mushrooms

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

About 2 hours before cooking, pat the beef cubes dry with paper towels and season them well on all sides with salt and black pepper. Let rest to near room temperature.

In a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the lardons or bacon matchsticks and cook for about 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fully cooked and lightly crisp. Remove and set aside, leaving the fat drippings in the pot.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F with a rack in the middle.

Working in batches, add the beef cubes to the Dutch oven and brown them in the bacon drippings, about 3 minutes on each side. Be careful not to overcrowd the pot or overlap any meat cubes, or they won’t brown properly. It should take about 3 to 4 batches to brown 2 1/2 pounds of beef. Transfer the browned beef to a separate bowl.

Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the Dutch oven and add the garlic, carrots, pearl onions, thyme, and bay leaves. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes, until the onions are glistening.

Add the beef and bacon back into the pot. Add the tomato paste and sprinkle with the flour. Stir all the ingredients until no dry flour is visible. Pour in the red wine, brandy, and beef stock. The meat should be barely covered; add more beef stock if necessary. Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid, and transfer to the oven. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes.

In the meantime, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, season to taste with salt and black pepper, and cook for about 10 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked and lightly browned.

Take the Dutch oven out of the oven and place it back onto the stovetop over medium heat. Stir in the mushrooms and simmer for 5 to 15 minutes, to thicken the sauce to your liking. Adjust seasoning if needed. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.

Serve over mashed potatoes, boiled potatoes, rice, or egg noodles.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Beef Bourguignon
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 05:14:18 PM »
We have made this many times over the years, and this looks like a very classic recipe.  It is even better as leftovers as it sits for a few days in the fridge.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 08:02:57 PM »
Had it, made it, LOVE it!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 07:09:42 AM »
Regarding the red wine, I've found that Malbecs don't do well with this.

Go with a Burgundy or a Pinot Noir.

Malbecs, I find, go far better with dishes that have a lot of tomatoes, like chili. Alamos Malbec is my go to for chili.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 09:15:53 AM »
And here's a recipe for doing it in your slow cooker...

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/recipe-slow-cooker-boeuf-bourguignon?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I've had both traditional and slow cooker versions, and they're both excellent.

The only thing I don't agree with this particular recipe on is saying that pearl onions are optional.

Yes, there are onions in the base recipe, but you really need pearl onions. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 09:18:46 AM »
This is what the ET article said about wine, which somewhat mirrors what you said:

A medium-bodied, dry and fruity red wine is preferred, ideally one produced in Burgundy, such as a pinot noir or gamay. You shouldn’t necessarily reach for a pricy bottle, but one that is still drinkable, which will make a great difference—forget the “cooking wines” from the grocery store.
adding wine
Add the wine—pick a bottle you would drink. (Audrey Le Goff)

A splash of French brandy, such as a Cognac or Armagnac, is also required to build extra depth of flavor.

I'm heading to Costco this morning, so plan on picking up a suitable wine for this. The only "brandy" I have in the house is Grand Marnier. The sugar and orange in it might actually add an interesting flavor, but I might pick up regular old Cognac for the first time I make it, just to kinda stick to the recipe for my first shot at it.

I have to figure out where to get pearl onions. I've actually never heard of them before. I don't want to drive all over Idaho looking for them, but maybe the Trader Blows closest to me has them. Or I'll need to find a suitable substitute.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 09:35:58 AM »
I make something similar with vension.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 09:38:01 AM »
My guess is that you'll find them at your local grocery store. If it's decently stocked. Or even moderately decently stocked.

Also check the freezer section. Some stores carry frozen pearl onions.

If you get fresh pearl onions, check out step 1 in Alton Brown's Coq au Vin recipe. Works like a charm.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/coq-au-vin-recipe-1952021#:~:text=Cut%20off%20the%20root%20end%20of%20each%20pearl,slide%20the%20onions%20right%20out%20of%20their%20skin.

If you can't find pearl onions, there's no truly decent substitute. You can use quartered Cippolini onions, but you're less likely to find those than you are pearls at your local grocery.

Hell, even the small regional grocery store in the town where my Mom lived carried bags of pearl onions.

As for the brandy, I generally buy those small "shot" bottles of cognac to keep on hand for the very rare occasions when I need it for cooking.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 09:40:45 AM »
Oh, and if you're going to Costco I have NO doubt that you'll find pearl onions.

But I have NO clue what you'll do with a 50-pound sack of pearl onions...  :rofl:

One of the recipes that we used to have (my Grandmother made it) at holidays was creamed pearl onions. Sometimes creamed pearl onions and green beans. One of my Dad's favorite dishes; he LOVED onions.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 09:46:56 AM »
But I have NO clue what you'll do with a 50-pound sack of pearl onions...  :rofl:

:laugh:

Like your dad, I love onions in stuff, so getting a sack of onions might work out. :)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 09:51:09 AM »
I have a recipe for an onion casserole that came from a Shaker Cookbook.

I don't think that I've ever posted it here. Everyone I've made it for, including my family and Mtnbkr and his family as well as various pot lucks, have gone absolutely insane over it.

When I left the County History Commission earlier this year several of my fellow commissioners extracted a promise from me that I will, when we're able, come back to the commission Christmas party and bring the onion casserole.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that I've ever posted it here.

I'm going to have to rectify that.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 09:52:58 AM »
And goddamn it...

I bought a really nice chuck roast the other week, split it, and froze it with the intention of making Borscht this winter...

But now that you've posted this... I'm going to have to pull it out and make Bourguignon...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 09:54:00 AM »
You should always have a bottle of brandy for cooking, just pick up a cheap bottle of Christian Brothers for cooking purposes.

Also checked the canned food section for pearl onions if not in the frozen section. Also you may find a small jar in the liquor aisle, they will be called cocktail onions (for a Gibson). Shelf life is less than a month for pearl onions so you probably aren't going to find them in the produce section this time of year. Pearl onions are closer to leek/ramps then they are to true onions, so you could use chopped leek bulbs in a pinch.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 09:56:54 AM »
"Shelf life is less than a month for pearl onions so you probably aren't going to find them in the produce section this time of year."

Available year round here...

In civilization.  :rofl:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 09:58:31 AM »
"Also you may find a small jar in the liquor aisle, they will be called cocktail onions (for a Gibson)."

Those are generally pickled, like olives. I don't think that flavor would meld well.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2020, 10:53:22 AM »
"Also you may find a small jar in the liquor aisle, they will be called cocktail onions (for a Gibson)."

Those are generally pickled, like olives. I don't think that flavor would meld well.

I've seen both, pickled and water packed. Definitely a last resort.

Yeah, I'd be happy with year round fresh pearl onions. I'm just happy I can get frozen ones.

Love me some peas and pearls.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2020, 11:11:05 AM »
Huh. I didn't know they made water packed pearl onions. Of course, I don't really drink any drink that requires an olive or onion garnish; I stick with G&T with Lime.

And yeah, damn it, I'm going to have to make beef boogaloo Sunday.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2020, 12:04:27 PM »
I've purchased frozen pearl onions from Trader Joe's in the past.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2020, 01:36:40 PM »
Well, Costco had no pearl onions. I did get the chuck and pino though. Thanks for the TJ tip Ron, I need to go there in the next week anyway.

At any rate, I think I won't be making this till after Christmas. Possibly for New Years instead of New Year ham. Tomorrow's my birthday, and I always make Rouladen for it, which is kind of a pain, so I make a lot and I'll be eating that for a few days. Then Christmas Eve ham and sauerkraut, then a Christmas turkey and the resulting left overs, so 01JAN ought to be a good day. :)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2020, 01:47:09 PM »
"Well, Costco had no pearl onions."

OK, kind of surprised.

If you strike out at TJs, be sure to try your local supermarket, whatever that may be.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2020, 01:49:56 PM »
I forgot my lunch at home today so I said WTF and went for a liquor store run (bastards didn't open until noon! That's unAmerican!) and for crispy beef at the local Chinese restaurant.

Not sure that it was beef, but it was OK.

Tonight I'm going to have some more of my weekend chili.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2020, 01:53:41 PM »

If you strike out at TJs, be sure to try your local supermarket, whatever that may be.

Well, I won't have high hopes for my local local store, but I'll check out Albetson's next time I'm in the direction of the closest one. I'll absolutely bet the Boise Albertson's stores have it, since they are ginormous stores (they are based in Idaho) but I'm not sure I wanna drive all that way just for fresh ones.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2020, 01:54:05 PM »
I forgot my lunch at home today so I said WTF and went for a liquor store run (bastards didn't open until noon! That's unAmerican!) and for crispy beef at the local Chinese restaurant.

Not sure that it was beef, but it was OK.

Tonight I'm going to have some more of my weekend chili.

I made Campbells chicken gumbo soup sloppy joes last night with pronghorn burger, also my lunch today and supper tonight. Latch key kid comfort food.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2020, 02:01:10 PM »
I made Campbells chicken gumbo soup sloppy joes last night with pronghorn burger, also my lunch today and supper tonight. Latch key kid comfort food.

Saw that on FB...

Not sure that's my style...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2020, 02:11:38 PM »
Saw that on FB...

Not sure that's my style...

Very Iowegian, stores were cleared out of Campbell's Chicken Gumbo before TP was earlier this year.

It's something I want every now and then, not sure I would want in several times a month like we did as kids.

It does smooth out the gameyness of the pronghorn.

Uranus is a gas giant.