Author Topic: Beef Bourguignon  (Read 10074 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Beef Bourguignon
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2020, 02:20:15 PM »
Pretty much I've never cared for anything "gumbo." Just not fond of the Louisiana spice palette. I've got to type that quietly, though, as there are two Louisianans sitting near me at the office.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2020, 02:25:28 PM »
Pretty much I've never cared for anything "gumbo." Just not fond of the Louisiana spice palette. I've got to type that quietly, though, as there are two Louisianans sitting near me at the office.

Campbells is anything but gumbo
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2020, 03:29:37 PM »
Campbells is anything but gumbo

Campbells is anything but anything...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2020, 04:50:45 PM »
So what wine did you end up with, Ben?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2020, 06:08:16 PM »
So what wine did you end up with, Ben?

A 2018 Pinot Noir from Acrobat out of Oregon. I normally don't drink Pinots, so can't really judge, but it was in the "good wine" rack at Costco where I buy most of my drinking wine.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2020, 06:51:51 PM »
A 2018 Pinot Noir from Acrobat out of Oregon. I normally don't drink Pinots, so can't really judge, but it was in the "good wine" rack at Costco where I buy most of my drinking wine.

Peter Vella Burgundy in the 5L box for less than $20 is pretty good.  *hic*  Seriously, it's not bad and punches above its weight.  PV "Delicious Red" is only a little cheaper and is pretty bad. (mainly it's too sweet for my taste)
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2020, 07:27:24 PM »
We almost never get a bad Pinot from Oregon.  It is one of their signature grapes and they do a very good job with them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2020, 09:12:11 AM »
Shopping this morning. My local grocery is loaded with both pearl and Cipoline onions.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2020, 09:16:01 AM »
Shopping this morning. My local grocery is loaded with both pearl and Cipoline onions.

Showoff. :P  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2020, 09:30:58 AM »
Yeah, well, it was also loaded with Mask Karens...

Get a little, give a little...  :rofl:

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2020, 05:21:08 PM »
I've seen both, pickled and water packed. Definitely a last resort.

Yeah, I'd be happy with year round fresh pearl onions. I'm just happy I can get frozen ones.

Love me some peas and pearls.

With some diced mushrooms thrown in for good measure.  Yummy stuff.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2020, 06:58:48 PM »
Lately,  when making anything with beef that is a low and slow cook (stew, goulash,  stroganoff) I've been buying tri-tip steaks at the local Kroger and cut it up myself.  It's a little pricier than what they label "stew beef" but the last time I used stew beef the amount of gristle and fat was disappointing.  The tri tip does very well with the low and slow cooks, and has really good flavor.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2020, 07:48:59 PM »
Lately,  when making anything with beef that is a low and slow cook (stew, goulash,  stroganoff) I've been buying tri-tip steaks at the local Kroger and cut it up myself.  It's a little pricier than what they label "stew beef" but the last time I used stew beef the amount of gristle and fat was disappointing.  The tri tip does very well with the low and slow cooks, and has really good flavor.

The last time I made Goulash I used a combo of stew meat (from Costco, so it wasn't grisly) ad tri-tip. I really liked the meat combo. Haven't done any with only tri-tip, but I might try it next time.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2020, 08:14:21 PM »
Memo to self: look for tri-tip.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2020, 08:27:19 PM »
Memo to self: look for tri-tip.

We don't have tri tip in Iowa, its called bottom sirloin or sirloin tip, depending upon the store.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2020, 04:22:28 PM »
Is there a concern with the tri tip, sirloin tip being drier than the typically fatty stew meat?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2020, 04:30:20 PM »
Is there a concern with the tri tip, sirloin tip being drier than the typically fatty stew meat?

It's the most tender part of the bottom sirloin cut, it won't be as marbled as the top sirloin, but will be more marbled than the rest of the bottom sirloin. Each beef animal has 2 tri tip steaks. If you every buy a bottom sirloin roast, it will be the fattiest part of the roast.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2020, 04:34:28 PM »
It's the most tender part of the bottom sirloin cut, it won't be as marbled as the top sirloin, but will be more marbled than the rest of the bottom sirloin. Each beef animal has 2 tri tip steaks. If you every buy a bottom sirloin roast, it will be the fattiest part of the roast.

Sounds like sirloin tip would be a winner, thanks.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2020, 04:40:27 PM »
Sounds like sirloin tip would be a winner, thanks.

Rump roast would be really good since this recipe doesn't have a lot of stewing time.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2020, 06:15:47 PM »

Trader Joes didn't have frozen Pearl Onions but did have them fresh in the produce area.

I may have misremembered where I bought the frozen ones but fresh is better anyway.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2020, 06:18:31 PM »
The Albertsons I sometimes shop at in Oregon had the pearl onions. Only two small plastic containers though, one of which I grabbed. Don't know if they were low on stock or if they are just not a popular item here.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2020, 04:27:37 PM »
OK, this is good. Incredibly rich.

There is a lot of animal fat in this recipe and it results in off the charts flavor.

My company for dinner tonight will be duly impressed, she'll be asking for the recipe I'm sure.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2020, 04:32:18 PM »
OK, this is good. Incredibly rich.

There is a lot of animal fat in this recipe and it results in off the charts flavor.

My company for dinner tonight will be duly impressed, she'll be asking for the recipe I'm sure.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

Dammit! You beat me to it.  :laugh:

I got the last of the ingredients yesterday and will be making it tomorrow. Tonight I'll be rising the dough for the fresh bread to go with it. I ended up finding an unopened bottle of VSOP Cognac in the liquor cabinet, and I figure whatever wine doesn't go in the recipe will be washing the meal down.  =D

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2020, 05:32:35 PM »
I went with A-Z Pinot Noir based upon MilkCreeks Oregon suggestion. It's a nice light easy drinking Pinot, we were pretty happy with it when I bought it over Christmas. Figured I would use it here.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2021, 07:28:33 AM »
Still at my friend's for the holiday, but heading home in a couple of days. This is one that I definitely want to make when the weather turns cold again. Glad to hear that it turned out for you, Ron.