Author Topic: Beef Bourguignon  (Read 10076 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Beef Bourguignon
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2021, 09:51:49 AM »
Yeah, that does look to be quite tasty, as well.

I still want to try the pork version of Beef Boogaloo.

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=267073

That one uses red wine, but I've seen others that use white wine.... which I guess really makes it something other than Bourguignon...

And roasted broccoli absolutely rocks.

When I roast I don't drizzle it with oil, I spray it with a canola cooking oil spray to get better coverage.

Season liberally then roast it in a rocket hot oven. Most recipes call for 400, but I normally roast at 425.

You want to stir it a couple of times to make sure you get even cooking. You know you're close when you start to observe the beginnings of char.

To REALLY ramp it up?

Pull it from the oven and top it with crispy chopped bacon and feta cheese.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2021, 12:44:40 PM »
You get all of your boogaloo fixings?

Enquiring minds want to know!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2021, 12:49:58 PM »
Y'all just like saying "boogaloo"  :rofl:  (there, now I said it)  Keeps alerting the spooks, then turns out to just be a cooking discussion.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2021, 01:01:05 PM »
You get all of your boogaloo fixings?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Yup. That Albertsons flagship store is off the hook, especially compared to the hillabilly Albertsons I usually go to. Unlike last year, I was able to get everything in one whack, including the pearl onions. I think I had to hit 3-4 stores last year before I found them.

It will be a boogaloo Sunday.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2021, 01:21:18 PM »
Y'all just like saying "boogaloo"  :rofl:  (there, now I said it)  Keeps alerting the spooks, then turns out to just be a cooking discussion.

IT'S CULINARY ANARCHY!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2021, 03:52:33 PM »
It's just another conspiracy designed to influence my cooking decisions.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2021, 11:00:20 PM »
How important is the wine?  The reason I'm asking is I have over a dozen bottles of homemade Concord grape wine.  It is totally dry, and quite drinkable (not foxy at all) but nothing you'd pay $20 a bottle for.  Would that work, or do I need a different varietal like Pinot Noir? (Burgundy)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2021, 07:07:20 AM »
The wine is definitely important. It adds a huge amount of flavor.

Obviously every wine is going to give a different flavor profile.

Whether your homemade wine will give a pleasant flavor profile once the dish is cooked? No way to really know without trying it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2021, 08:11:24 AM »
It's not in my OP, but is in the article in the link there, that they recommend a good wine, preferably something like a Pinot. They mention you don't need to go expensive, but to use a wine you would drink, vs a "cooking wine" from the grocery shelf. I used (and will use this time) and Acrobat Pinot out of Oregon.  I think it was like $15 for the bottle.

It was a really good wine, and what I didn't put in the pot, I drank with the meal. Very tasty.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2021, 01:49:49 PM »
The Kendall Jackson Reserve that I used when I made Boogaloo in January was really good, both as a drinking wine and as a cooking wine.

I didn't use the Malbec that I use for chili because I tried it in a standard beef stew and it just didn't work, but it works beautifully with chili, which has a lot of tomatoes in it.

My suggestion?

Try making a small batch of just standard beef stew with your homemade rotgut. That way, if it's good, you'll know, if it's bad, you'll know not to make a full batch of boogaloo.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2021, 03:35:29 PM »
Well, another success.  =)

Went much smoother than last time, since I didn't have all the interruptions, plus I reviewed the recipe better and did a bunch of the prepping first thing in the morning while the bread was baking, so stuff was ready to just dump in the dutch oven.

Really tasty, and I remembered to make the smashed potatoes this time. Followed up with fresh homemade bread to clean the gravy off the plate. I did the roasted broccoli thing. Olive oil, seasoning, roasted at 425, then lightly topped with finely grated cheese - not Parmesan, but the other one with the fancy name that I can't remember or spell.

I'm looking forward to tasty leftovers throughout the next week.  =)

Plus bonus - I was bummed that we were supposed to reach 60 deg today, because I like making stuff like this on chilly fireplace days. However we have cloud cover, so it stayed in the 40s all through the cooking and it's only now getting past 50.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2021, 07:03:52 AM »
Excellent!

The Boogas have Loo'ed!

I made perhaps the best batch of chicken vegetable soup I've ever made.

Simmered a couple of pounds of chicken thighs until the meat was soft, then stripped them meat off the bones and threw the bones back in the pot with onion, carrots, and some spices and simmered the bones for about 4 hours on Friday.

Yesterday I sweated two large leeks, two medium green peppers, and a small head of cabbage then threw  it in the broth and let it simmer for about an hour. Then I added a bag of frozen peas and corn and a bag of broccoli cuts along with the reserved thigh meat.

Simmered that for about 30 minutes and BAM! Incredible.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2023, 01:33:48 PM »
Whelp, it's gonna start snowing in a few hours and snow on and off through Saturday, then rain on Sunday, so I decided that it's beef boogaloo time again this weekend.

I picked up all the fixin's, including the usually hard to find pearl onions, but gall dang - I couldn't find thyme or bay leaves in two different stores. Tons of mint and stuff, but neither of those. I wasn't gonna make an hour run to the Albertson's flagship in the big city just for them, so settled on a "herb mix" that had thyme in it, and I'll just pull out the thyme and forego the bay leaves. I would have figured either of them would be a "staple" herb, but I guess not.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2023, 01:38:37 PM »
Nice!

I've been thinking about it, but right now, even on sale, chuck roast is $8 a frigging pound.

I'm keeping an eye out and hoping I see one either on manager's special clearance or just a decent sale.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2023, 09:20:57 PM »
And it's warming up again here this coming week. Definitely not boogaloo weather.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2023, 12:31:32 AM »
finely grated cheese - not Parmesan, but the other one with the fancy name that I can't remember or spell.

Gruyère?  Romano?  Feta?  Gouda?  Mozzarella?
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2023, 12:53:22 AM »
Gruyère?  Romano?  Feta?  Gouda?  Mozzarella?

That's a good question.  Something that *can* be grated fine, so a hard cheese.  Maybe Romano or Pecorino.  Or maybe he's making a distinction between Parmesan and Parmigiano Reggiano. (Dried out Swiss cheese makes a decent sub for Parmesan)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2023, 07:01:00 AM »
Asiago, especially well aged Asiago, makes a fantastic topping for roasted vegetables.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2023, 08:23:07 AM »
Parmigiano Reggiano.

That's the one.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2023, 08:28:49 AM »
Also, realizing I'll be cooking it on 03DEC, which is well within "Christmas music" season, I'm trying to decide what cooking music to listen to for this long ass process.

Something "classical Christmas" like Tchaikovsky, would be appropriate.

https://youtu.be/C4wBG8BWbYg

On the other hand, as a German cooking a French dish, I might want to play some music that will show my dominance in the kitchen and force an unconditional surrender of the ingredients.

https://youtu.be/ZzIVyezTXcM

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2023, 09:40:02 AM »
That's the one.

Oooh lar lar, look at the big spender payin' top dollar for eytalian cheese!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2023, 09:53:58 AM »
That's the one.

The difference between Parma and Parmigiano Reggiano

I doubt in a multi-ingredient dish, one could taste the difference, or at least enough to tell.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2023, 10:03:50 AM »
A hunk of Parmigiano Reggiano from Costco is cheaper than parmesan from the regular store.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2023, 10:14:34 AM »
A hunk of Parmigiano Reggiano from Costco is cheaper than parmesan from the regular store.

I live less than 3hrs from Wisconsin, the opposite is true here.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2023, 11:20:05 AM »
I just buy bags of finely-grated Mexican cheese that resembles parmesan; I think it's called cotija.
"It's good, though..."