Author Topic: Maybe we should just start a The World Has Gone Mad thread  (Read 114760 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: Maybe we should just start a The World Has Gone Mad thread
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2022, 04:11:32 PM »

From the link above:
Armed robbers who use guns or other deadly weapons to stick up stores and other businesses will be prosecuted only for petty larceny, a misdemeanor, provided no victims were seriously injured and there’s no “genuine risk of physical harm” to anyone. Armed robbery, a class B felony, would typically be punishable by a maximum of 25 years in prison, while petty larceny subjects offenders to up to 364 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2022, 04:20:11 PM »
From the link above:
Armed robbers who use guns or other deadly weapons to stick up stores and other businesses will be prosecuted only for petty larceny, a misdemeanor, provided no victims were seriously injured and there’s no “genuine risk of physical harm” to anyone. Armed robbery, a class B felony, would typically be punishable by a maximum of 25 years in prison, while petty larceny subjects offenders to up to 364 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.

There's also a more insidious implication there.  You can use deadly force to stop an armed robbery.  Do the same thing for petty larceny and you'll go to prison for a very long time. (the robber will go free) 
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2022, 04:26:23 PM »
From the link above:

I wonder when was the last time they actually gave someone 25 years for armed robbery when no one was hurt.  I am thinking that is just used as a threat to get agreement on a plea deal.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2022, 02:22:46 PM »
Dust off and nuke from orbit.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2022, 12:12:38 AM »
Dust off and nuke from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

JTHunter

• friends
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 11:55:08 PM by JTHunter »
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2022, 12:29:04 AM »
God !  I feel sorry for that kid !!  [barf]

I feel sorry for humanity and anyone who opens that link and is subjected to those pictures!!!!

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2022, 01:28:19 AM »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10374547/Transgender-man-28-fell-pregnant-Grindr-one-night-stand-transitioning.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

Perfect.

After finding out he was pregnant, Ash, a mental health worker, stopped hormone treatment and gave birth to daughter Ronan in October 2020.

That's an odd way to spell "mental case."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2022, 06:18:55 PM »
Perfect.

That's an odd way to spell "mental case."

Huh.  A literal case of an inmate running the asylum.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2022, 09:54:10 AM »
File this whole thread under "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds".

If you reject "conspiracy theories" you're left with all the insanity is organically natural to humanity. Either can explain the obvious lying to your face.

Regardless, there is enough obvious stupidness on display where everyone can see it and wake up where everyone can see it and wake up.   
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 10:12:01 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2022, 03:15:10 PM »
Apparently the M&M characters weren't progressive enough

M&M characters redesigned for a "more dynamic, progressive world," Mars announces
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/m-ms-characters-redesigned-modern-inclusive-progressive/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2022, 03:23:22 PM »
The most notable changes include the green M&M's redesign, which will exchange the white heeled go-go boots she was given in 1997 for "cool, laid-back sneakers to reflect her effortless confidence." Mars had received criticism for the green M&M's sexy characterization. The green M&M will also be "better represented to reflect confidence and empowerment, as a strong female, and known for much more than her boots."

IT'S A *expletive deleted*ing PIECE OF CANDY, YOU MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2022, 03:29:39 PM »
Apparently the M&M characters weren't progressive enough

M&M characters redesigned for a "more dynamic, progressive world," Mars announces
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/m-ms-characters-redesigned-modern-inclusive-progressive/

I read that yesterday and just sat here shaking my head. I mean someone, somewhere, got paid a metric *expletive deleted*it ton of money to come up with this load of BS. I mean cartoons, really. But that seems to be the way of many make believe things these days, they are treated as real people who actually have influence.

bob

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2022, 03:30:13 PM »
Mars will also include imagery of M&Ms of all shapes and sizes, moving away from only one body size, and it will remove the prefixes from the characters' names in order to focus on "their personalities, rather than their gender.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2022, 04:23:51 PM »
...in order to focus on "their personalities, rather than their gender.

Well, that's not very woke.

The writer seems to be missing some crucial (for candy-related cartoon ads) context about the green M&M. The green M&M is sexy because of the myth that green M&Ms are an aphrodisiac. If that myth is no longer current, then lose the sexy look because of that, not because of any put-on social concern.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2022, 05:53:35 PM »
Well, that's not very woke.

The writer seems to be missing some crucial (for candy-related cartoon ads) context about the green M&M. The green M&M is sexy because of the myth that green M&Ms are an aphrodisiac. If that myth is no longer current, then lose the sexy look because of that, not because of any put-on social concern.

Just happened to come across this while researching the folk song Greensleeves

Lyrical interpretation
   Wikisource has lyrics for the song:
Greensleeves
A possible interpretation of the lyrics is that Lady Green Sleeves was a promiscuous young woman, perhaps even a prostitute.[7] At the time, the word "green" had sexual connotations, most notably in the phrase "a green gown", a reference to the grass stains on a woman's dress from engaging in sexual intercourse outdoors.[8]

An alternative explanation is that Lady Green Sleeves was, through her costume, incorrectly assumed to be sexually promiscuous. Her "discourteous" rejection of the singer's advances supports the contention that she is not.[8]

In Nevill Coghill's translation of The Canterbury Tales,[9] he explains that "green [for Chaucer’s age] was the colour of lightness in love. This is echoed in 'Greensleeves is my delight' and elsewhere."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensleeves
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2022, 06:01:49 PM »
Just happened to come across this while researching the folk song Greensleeves
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensleeves

Interesting. I really like the song, especially Fantasia on Greensleeves. "What Child is This" is the Christmas song set to Greensleeves, which is somewhat interesting given the Greensleeves background.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2022, 06:12:41 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2022, 06:59:03 PM »
For some reason I absolutely hate that melody.  Even full-bore orchestrated versions of it.  I'll hit the mute button as soon as I hear it.  Dunno why.  I just do.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2022, 11:21:01 PM »
Enter MSNBC
Facepalms = RAGE!

'Let her be': Green M&M's new shoes evoke Republican rage
https://www.msnbc.com/ayman-mohyeldin/watch/the-week-in-republican-rage-131482181842

- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2022, 11:38:46 AM »
Out of Virginia
Which now that I'm thinking about the, yeah, that's a terrible pun  :facepalm:
In my defense it was totally unintentional. Seriously it was.

Fairfax County Public Schools teachers and staff looking to get ‘period products’ added to boys bathrooms and YES, everything is stupid
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/02/01/fairfax-county-public-schools-teachers-and-staff-looking-to-get-period-products-added-to-boys-bathrooms-and-yes-everything-is-stupid/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2022, 11:39:43 AM »
Out of Virginia
Which now that I'm thinking about the, yeah, that's a terrible pun  :facepalm:
In my defense it was totally unintentional. Seriously it was.

Fairfax County Public Schools teachers and staff looking to get ‘period products’ added to boys bathrooms and YES, everything is stupid
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/02/01/fairfax-county-public-schools-teachers-and-staff-looking-to-get-period-products-added-to-boys-bathrooms-and-yes-everything-is-stupid/

That whole school system seems to be stuck on "double down".