Author Topic: Maybe we should just start a The World Has Gone Mad thread  (Read 119069 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: Maybe we should just start a The World Has Gone Mad thread
« Reply #475 on: June 18, 2022, 04:35:16 PM »
Only the uniformed services and emergency services ameliorate this conflict of interest by voluntarily risking their lives for the benefit of others.

That is a good point!

Ok, mil and cops get the vote too.   =D

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #476 on: June 18, 2022, 04:59:33 PM »

As Juneteenth approaches, we celebrated with an unveiling in Lafayette Sq.🖤❤️💚💛
    This sculpture is very fitting for this time & place as we celebrate the freedoms that we have gained

We know that it doesn’t come without struggles, fights, and protests for 200+ years pic.twitter.com/QcwFElDETN

— Mayor LaToya Cantrell (@mayorcantrell) June 17, 2022

A hair pick? https://twitter.com/mayorcantrell/status/1537839205396750339
:facepalm:

Mayor of New Orleans unveils sculpture of a giant hair pick just in time for Juneteenth
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/06/18/mayor-of-new-orleans-unveils-sculpture-of-a-giant-hair-pick-just-in-time-for-juneteenth/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #477 on: June 18, 2022, 05:06:12 PM »
That is a good point!

So I can't figure out if some of you guys are going for police state or "enlightened totalitarianism".

As much as I myself fantasize about who should be able to vote (me and my kind) and who shouldn't (all those other numbskulls), once you step beyond "US citizen",  you are approaching dangerous territory, and depending on the political pendulum, you may some day find yourself in the "no vote for you" category.

Maybe direct your efforts to the whole electoral college mess, which currently weights the moron vote to the states with more morons. One state, one vote would alleviate that, and fall in line with at least one definition of a confederated republic.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #478 on: June 18, 2022, 05:09:34 PM »
A hair pick? https://twitter.com/mayorcantrell/status/1537839205396750339
:facepalm:

Mayor of New Orleans unveils sculpture of a giant hair pick just in time for Juneteenth
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/06/18/mayor-of-new-orleans-unveils-sculpture-of-a-giant-hair-pick-just-in-time-for-juneteenth/

I notice that everywhere I look, this is "Juneteenth weekend" rather than "Fathers Day weekend". Are we celebrating "Juneteenth Eve" as well? Should I break out an aluminum pole?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #479 on: June 18, 2022, 05:18:45 PM »
In CONUS? Do they get to vote because they might be deployed into a theater, or because they did get deployed into a theater?

That's cute, you're going to try to split hairs until you can find a winning argument. 

Nope.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #480 on: June 18, 2022, 05:19:54 PM »
That's cute, you're going to try to split hairs until you can find a winning argument. 

Nope.

Reply #477. I'm not splitting hairs. You're deciding which US citizens get to vote.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #481 on: June 18, 2022, 05:34:29 PM »
So I can't figure out if some of you guys are going for police state or "enlightened totalitarianism".

As much as I myself fantasize about who should be able to vote (me and my kind) and who shouldn't (all those other numbskulls), once you step beyond "US citizen",  you are approaching dangerous territory, and depending on the political pendulum, you may some day find yourself in the "no vote for you" category.

Maybe direct your efforts to the whole electoral college mess, which currently weights the moron vote to the states with more morons. One state, one vote would alleviate that, and fall in line with at least one definition of a confederated republic.

Bullet point summation, no hairs.

You don't vote if:
- you are collecting welfare (uncompensated money you did nothing to earn)
- you are a government employee in an empirically nonhazardous occupation.

Those two are the largest of the conflicts of interest.  As a concession I would make it no voting for any government employees at all for any year they collected a government paycheck, just to prevent future weaseling and scamming.

All other constitutional amendments concerning vote still apply.

As per the articles and amendments the States still choose how to qualify franchise.  This arrangement could be enacted by a state legislature now if they so choose.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #482 on: June 18, 2022, 05:38:06 PM »
Reply #477. I'm not splitting hairs. You're deciding which US citizens get to vote.

You say that like universal franchise isn't a total failure with a century of evidence.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #484 on: June 18, 2022, 06:00:52 PM »
I notice that everywhere I look, this is "Juneteenth weekend" rather than "Fathers Day weekend". Are we celebrating "Juneteenth Eve" as well? Should I break out an aluminum pole?

Actually I'm getting quite a few emails advertising "Father's Day Sales" 

Granted, most of them are from gun-related businesses, but still ...
                         - Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #485 on: June 18, 2022, 08:33:36 PM »
How is a GS-7 making 40k a year voting more of a conflict of interest than a CEO that stands to pay (or not) millions in taxes voting? Or the real estate developer that needs a zoning change? Or the employees of a pipeline company that needs federal permits to put in a pipeline?  What about the employees of government contractors? Do the workers at Honeywell defense get to vote?  How much laundering do tax dollars need to get before they don't disenfranchise you?

It's not like direct wages or welfare is the only way, or even the most common way, that who's  elected can benefit someone.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #486 on: June 18, 2022, 11:11:49 PM »

Limited franchise was the norm in the early USA.  It isn't a police state or totalitarianism.  Early America was not a totalitarian police state.

There was absolutely no mention of any sort of right to vote in the original constitution.  This does not make it a totalitarian document.  There is still no right to vote for all citizens, as you mentioned you believe should be the only qualification.  States are still allowed to limit franchise except using certain categories (sex and a few others).  Many states ban felons from voting, and rightfully so.  Citizens under 18 cannot vote. 

There is nothing inappropriate about limiting the vote to people without a financial conflict of interest.  Getting a government job, or getting on welfare is voluntary; no would would be required to give up their vote.

Our government should not be controlled by people on welfare or government employee's unions.  This a road to financial ruin.  Which is pretty much exactly the road we are on now.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #487 on: June 18, 2022, 11:24:35 PM »
Limited franchise was the norm in the early USA.  It isn't a police state or totalitarianism.  Early America was not a totalitarian police state.

There was absolutely no mention of any sort of right to vote in the original constitution.  This does not make it a totalitarian document.  There is still no right to vote for all citizens, as you mentioned you believe should be the only qualification.  States are still allowed to limit franchise except using certain categories (sex and a few others).  Many states ban felons from voting, and rightfully so.  Citizens under 18 cannot vote. 

There is nothing inappropriate about limiting the vote to people without a financial conflict of interest.  Getting a government job, or getting on welfare is voluntary; no would would be required to give up their vote.

Our government should not be controlled by people on welfare or government employee's unions.  This a road to financial ruin.  Which is pretty much exactly the road we are on now.

The 14th amendment may be invoked in many such cases.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #488 on: June 18, 2022, 11:54:17 PM »
I really hope this is satire.

https://iqfy.com/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #489 on: June 19, 2022, 12:02:04 AM »
I really hope this is satire.

https://iqfy.com/

I clicked on the coffee article and, oh boy, based on the comment they're serious

https://iqfy.com/coffee-industry-racism-white-supremacy/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #490 on: June 19, 2022, 09:31:10 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #491 on: June 19, 2022, 01:45:23 PM »
That is a good point!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD0BcQTIr4c
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #492 on: June 21, 2022, 12:38:56 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/world/british-man-blood-question-pregnant

British man tries to donate blood.  Staff ask him if he's pregnant.  Man refuses to answer.  Man is turned away.
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #493 on: June 21, 2022, 10:11:37 AM »
Kroger and some other store I've never heard of (East Coast?) got a complaint from ONE anti-gun Karen and they folded like a cheap suit in a hurricane. It doesn't seem to be going well for them.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/06/21/cowards-harris-teeter-kroger-both-dragged-for-being-quick-to-bend-the-knee-after-lefty-scolds-whine-about-patriotic-coozies/

I want that "arms change" coozie, except as a t-shirt. Well, maybe a coozie too.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #494 on: June 21, 2022, 12:05:50 PM »
Are you really surprised?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #495 on: June 21, 2022, 12:35:11 PM »
Are you really surprised?

Sadly, no. It's just mind-boggling though, that they will always jump the gun like this from one lone rando complaining, as long as the rando is a lefty. If the rando is a righty, the response is, "Sorry you feel that way. Perhaps you should shop somewhere else." That response should be standard for both left and right randos, IMO.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #496 on: June 21, 2022, 12:46:19 PM »
Harris Teeter is a traditionally Southern chain. I believe that it was formed in the Carolinas in the 1920s.

I suspect that this is going to do them some harm in their historical areas of operation. At least I hope so.

In fact, it looks as if it is having some patriotic lashback.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/harris-teeter-kroger-backlash-pro-america-items-complaints
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #497 on: June 21, 2022, 12:51:34 PM »
From Mike's link:

"Thanks for reaching out," the company said. "As soon as these items were brought to our attention we put a recall request into place and these items are being removed from all store locations."

Brought to your attention? You're the ones who ordered them.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #498 on: June 21, 2022, 01:02:54 PM »
Do they have any offensive rainbow coozys?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #499 on: June 21, 2022, 02:18:11 PM »
Do they have any offensive rainbow coozys?

If they do, good luck getting them withdrawn.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.