Author Topic: Another Amazon Delivery Thread  (Read 2477 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Another Amazon Delivery Thread
« on: December 18, 2020, 08:55:22 AM »
So this was an interesting one. I saw a killer Lightning Deal on a mechanical keyboard, so ordered it. Out for delivery on 15DEC. I got the usual Amazon "X stops away" map notification. I was in a pasture and saw the Amazon van drive to the house around 1300. Didn't pay attention, but it was there for the usual amount of time, then drove away.

I walked back to the house and "WTF?" no package anywhere to be found. Check the Amazon app, and the "X stops away" thing says, "The driver has a few more stops to make before you get your package." I'd never seen that particular message, but tracked the truck on and off all the way until around 2100, when I saw it show up stopped at the Amazon distribution building.

For the next two days I got the "your package is on the way but late" message. This morning I finally got the "your package is lost" message. Not that I haven't had one of these "late/lost" things before, but never where the van actually made it to my house for the delivery but then didn't deliver. I'm curious how that happens. I'm kinda thinking maybe the driver accidentally grabbed my box earlier in his route, delivered it to the wrong address along with the packages they ordered, and that person now has a new keyboard that they didn't report to Amazon as misdelivered. Though I would think since the driver has to scan each package, and that is linked to the GPS, that they would know where the package was misdelivered.

One cool thing is that I haven't used the Amazon chat feature in a long while, and it is now primarily an AI (that Amazon refers to as an Amazon rep  :laugh:  ). I actually found it much, much more efficient than speaking to a live person. The AI figured out what I was talking about right away, and three clicks and less than a minute after I opened the chat, I had a replacement keyboard on the way.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Another Amazon Delivery Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 09:07:30 AM »
How about this
Ordered a Christmas present for my daughter on Wednesday and it's a rather wide fragile item so what do they do? Order tracking shows they packed it with the 16lb bag of cat food I have on subscription which means they're both bouncing around in the the same box.  :facepalm:   I can't wait it see if it survives in one piece, suppose to be here Sat.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 09:33:58 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 09:32:17 AM »
Hi, Amazon AI, my package has been lost. I need a replacement.

I'm sorry, Ben, I can't do that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 09:34:59 AM »
Amazon has been really good at replacing DOA, damaged, or lost items
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 10:02:03 AM »
I really dislike amazon, and avoid doing business with them when possible.  I'm not going to pay a $100 yearly fee for customer service I can get elsewhere for free.  Unfortunately, those who do not pay said bribe are worthless human scum to amazon.  

Case in point, my first order of the year with amazon was on Dec 4th:
Dec 4: Ordered
Dec 7: Shipping label created
Dec 12: USPS accepted Item
Dec 13: Arrived at Akron OH Distribution Center
Dec 17: In transit, arriving late

Two weeks and counting... I know the delay is now with USPS, but amazon did wait a week to even ship the item.  In my experience, this is very typical of them.

My amazon order before this one hadn't shipped for three days, so I ordered the same thing on ebay.  I had the one from ebay in my hand before amazon shipped my first order.  ;/

Amazon can DIAF.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 10:06:33 AM »

Two weeks and counting... I know the delay is now with USPS, but amazon did wait a week to even ship the item.  In my experience, this is very typical of them.

Amazon can DIAF.

News showed pictures inside the main USPS distribution center here and there were piles of packages everywhere. Looked like one of those mad hoarder homes you hear about x1,000,000. USPS is a mess and has been all year even before the Christmas season started and just has gotten worse.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 10:12:37 AM »
News showed pictures inside the main USPS distribution center here and there were piles of packages everywhere. Looked like one of those mad hoarder homes you hear about x1,000,000

USPS has messages out right now on their website about being overwhelmed. My sister had called to tell me she was sending me something via Fedex because when she went to the post office, the line was literally out the door and well into the parking lot. The Fedex place she used had one person in front of her.

I'm lucky in that my little USPS office is almost always empty. It's the only game in town since the small Fedex office store shut down last year. Though USPS prices have gone through the roof. I shipped my dad 10lbs of honey and it cost me $34. There was a two dollar difference between first class and priority. Though priority is 5-6 days before stuff gets to him.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 10:15:50 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 12:40:55 PM »
Just got a message that one of my recent orders has been delayed.

No further information.

But, in the past 6 months, that's the only thing I've ordered that has been delayed. And I've ordered a bunch of stuff on Amazon.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 04:26:53 PM »
Non-Prime Amazon buyer here, I SELDOM have issues with them and, if an item is screwed up/bad, they make it right right away.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 04:35:58 PM »
How about this
Ordered a Christmas present for my daughter on Wednesday and it's a rather wide fragile item so what do they do? Order tracking shows they packed it with the 16lb bag of cat food I have on subscription which means they're both bouncing around in the the same box.  :facepalm:   I can't wait it see if it survives in one piece, suppose to be here Sat.

It arrived today. Thin metal 2 ft long with thin delicate parts in zero packing other than a thin clear plastic bag thrown on top of a 16lb bag of cat food. Amazingly it's okay. How I have no clue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VKCMPQN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 09:51:43 AM »
Yeah, their packaging decisions are often... weird.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2020, 10:27:49 AM »
I do NOT have Prime, but I try to order enough to get their "free delivery."

Ordered 4 items last Sunday - three arrived the next day, the last has been delivered (via UPS) to a local location and is scheduled to arrive this coming Monday. From reading the customer reviews there's an appreciable chance the balance of the order may be damaged due to poor packaging, in which case it will promptly be returned to the local Kohl's store which processes Amazon returns.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2020, 10:36:49 AM »
I ordered a 10 pack of LED 8’ strip lights for my shop project and took advantage of the “try prime free for 30 days” for an additional discount with free and faster shipping. I need to remember to cancel prime.
No problem with the shipping but that was a Black Friday deal a week early so I received before thanksgiving.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2021, 08:07:25 AM »
Amazon lost 3 shipments last week, all three arrived at Hebron Ky and never left.
Something that makes it all a bit odder is one is a reorder of one of the two items they lost in Hebron in April.
Something is going on in Hebron.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2021, 08:17:12 AM »
They likely have a theft problem at that Hebron site.  Is it a postal, FedEx or UPS sorting center?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2021, 08:20:57 AM »
They likely have a theft problem at that Hebron site.  Is it a postal, FedEx or UPS sorting center?

I believe yes to all the above.

I hope they're enjoying my PX4 holster, Inforce light, and cat mess cleaner.
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2021, 08:37:13 AM »
Not sure if I mentioned it or not, but a couple of weeks ago I ordered new LED light bulbs for the lamps in my bedroom. Wanted the old timey Edison style bulbs in 2300 to 2700 K range.

Opened the box for the initial delivery and... not even close to light bulbs. Not even remotely close.

So, I arranged for a redelivery and a return of what I did get. Got the light bulbs and finally remembered to drop the return at UPS yesterday.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2021, 03:50:28 PM »
My Amazon stuff does show up pretty quick (I do have Prime, which I got for streaming more than shipping but whatever) and I've never had any real issues.
I'm always looking through the daily deals and occasionally I get something, so I order more than I should.
My issue is usually with FedEx (and they have the Chewy contract) but they did manage to put my box on my porch this time. The other week they put my neighbors box on my porch.

You want to talk about stupid packaging, Chewy is your man. When we get a delivery to the shop it's like twenty boxes and they'll just have one thing in a box twice the size it needs to be with rolls of the big pop packs. And I still don't understand why they box 50lb bags of dog food.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2021, 09:30:14 PM »
Boxes are easier to automate.

I have stuff sent to an Amazon dropbox about 3/4 of a mile from my house, or to my work address. If it goes to my front door, it is gone before I get home.
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2021, 07:54:57 AM »
And another one disappears
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2021, 09:18:46 AM »
Boxes are easier to automate.

I have stuff sent to an Amazon dropbox about 3/4 of a mile from my house, or to my work address. If it goes to my front door, it is gone before I get home.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS5gc0aF_p5/?utm_medium=copy_link
Package thief gets caught. 

I am very happy I don't have issues with package thieves.  I have had stuff plainly visible from the street hang around for quite some time.  I don't know if there aren't those people in my neighborhood or the local cops take it more seriously. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 09:19:56 AM »
I just got a ball cap in the mail that I ordered.  Came in a box that is about 8"x8x8.  Nothing else in it.  I can only assume they use whatever boxes they have and/or standard sizes are encouraged.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2021, 09:38:55 AM »
So far, so good - I've had boxes sit on my front porch all day and no package thieves have hit me yet. (Knock on wood - hope I didn't jinx myself!)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2021, 10:36:07 AM »
So far, so good - I've had boxes sit on my front porch all day and no package thieves have hit me yet. (Knock on wood - hope I didn't jinx myself!)

In my case the problem isn't porch pirates but rather it's occurring somewhere in the shipping chain. I can't prove it but I think it's occurring when they do a hand off to USPS so this could be USPS's problem.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 11:24:48 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes