Author Topic: Keltec P50? Discuss  (Read 3440 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Keltec P50? Discuss
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2021, 08:54:59 AM »
Tim of MAC looks at the P50

Tim has the same ver grip worry I do. People are going to be temped to put one on and run afoul of a watchful range officer or worse.
Comes with Promag mags, UGH!
Certain parts and certain aspects of it's construction appear somewhat delicate and prone to break like the hinge to me at least.
Easy to get your support hand/fingers in front of the barrel.
Ran 100%
Certainly looks fun

NEW: Keltec P50 handgun in 5.7x28!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK7RWIcglB0
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 09:10:39 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2021, 09:15:20 AM »
Looks like it doesn't kick a whole lot either. 

I would be curious if they would try to make a rifle version of it like the CMR-30.  It would very few changes to do it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2021, 09:22:26 AM »
Looks like it doesn't kick a whole lot either. 

I would be curious if they would try to make a rifle version of it like the CMR-30.  It would very few changes to do it.

All they would have to do is lengthen the barrel a little  and put a stock on it. I like it. But 5.7 needs to come down from $75 a box to a more sane price before I would even consider it.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2021, 11:03:41 AM »
Looks fun but... why does everything keltec make have to be hideous plastic clamshells held together by screws?   :O

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2021, 12:06:42 PM »
Looks fun but... why does everything keltec make have to be hideous plastic clamshells held together by screws?   :O

My assumption is that it keeps molding and tooling costs down and helps them meet their relatively aggressive MSRP's.
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2021, 12:20:02 PM »
It looks like a well designed gun, and seems to work nicely.  I question the "clamshell open to reload" design choice, but you aren't going to be toing tactical or speed reloads with this gun.

I mentioned it before, but after watching the video I am even more unsure of the use case for a 3 lb, damn near 18" pistol.  Even as a range toy 5.7 isn't particularly cheap or plentiful.  It's not a plinker, it's not a useful defensive pistol, I guess you could hunt small game with it, but 100 other guns would do that better.  I'm sure Hollywood will buy a few for their next low budget sci-fi series, but beyond that, why?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2021, 12:47:48 PM »
I'm guessing some of you go to shopping malls. Watch. You're going to see guys with messenger bags. You'll see guys with Really Big diaper bags...
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2021, 01:21:51 PM »
It looks like a well designed gun, and seems to work nicely.  I question the "clamshell open to reload" design choice, but you aren't going to be toing tactical or speed reloads with this gun.

I mentioned it before, but after watching the video I am even more unsure of the use case for a 3 lb, damn near 18" pistol.  Even as a range toy 5.7 isn't particularly cheap or plentiful.  It's not a plinker, it's not a useful defensive pistol, I guess you could hunt small game with it, but 100 other guns would do that better.  I'm sure Hollywood will buy a few for their next low budget sci-fi series, but beyond that, why?
The main reason for the size is to let it use the 50 round 5.7 magazine.

That said, IMO, most people are going to go the pistol brace route.  That is more or less why I thought a CMR-50 rifle version would make sense.  On the CMR-30, the stock collapses almost all the way to the grip and the barrel would only be 6" longer. 

Otherwise, there are a large number of "why" guns out there.  Never stopped people from making them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2021, 03:22:49 PM »
Certainly, and I'm not saying they shouldn't build it, I'm just confused about who they built it for.

I'm tracking on the magazine as the source of many of the design decisions.  That's pretty obvious, but also a strange choice.  A P90 mag is nicely designed, and works well, but it's not like a Glock mag that is approaching universality, or a G3 mag that has millions out there in surplus for less than $10.  It's a bulky, hard to carry, $40 magazine.

And you can't even pistol brace this gun, because there's a charging handle where the brace would need to go.  I guess on the plus side you could just 3D print a stock/grip clamshell and replace the whole bottom of the gun pretty easily.

I know I sound pretty down on this, and I don't mean to be.  I like new things in the gun space, and I normally find Kel-Tecs ideas interesting, even if the execution often lacks.  I'm just confused about the designer's vision for this gun.  Are a lot of people finishing mag dumps on FiveseveN's and saying "man I wish I had another 20 rounds before the world's most awkward reload!"?

It's like someone left a Whitney Wolverine in whatever goo created the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2021, 03:43:32 PM »
Try shooting a carbine with a glock gigglestick hanging out the bottom from a prone position. Get video?
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2021, 04:10:51 PM »
I shoot my carbine with a Colt 32rd mag hanging out the bottom from the prone just fine.  Glock 30 rounders don't even hang that low.  But that's not the point. 

My point in mentioning Glock mags were it makes sense to have some design concessions to a weapon to make it fit a Glock mag, because they are ubiquitous.  making concessions to fit an kinda expensive, kinda obscure FN mag makes less sense.

Let's put it another way:
We are a gun centric group that has some disposable income and likes weird stuff.  Between all of us here on this forum we probably have a super eclectic firearms collection, many of which aren't super practical.  Raise your hand if you are going to spend [checks gunbroker] two grand on one of these in the next twelve months.

Didn't think so.

ETA:  Since I looked on Gunbroker, I feel I should point out that for a couple hundred less than this thing is selling for you can get an *actual* PS90.  Sure, this is suffering from new gun unobtanium price hikes, but still. PS90 AND the tax stamp, or P50?

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2021, 05:12:45 PM »
Basically, for all intents and purposes, that is a "repel boarders" gun. Lots of rounds, which can be dumped, even with a single-shot trigger pull, rather rapidly. The 5.7, even the neutered version, will penetrate decently, with good energy transfer.

But...

For that kind of firearm, I'd rather have something with a can. Subsonic. A compact 50 round package looks a LOT more like a Calico...
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2021, 05:26:43 PM »
ETA:  Since I looked on Gunbroker, I feel I should point out that for a couple hundred less than this thing is selling for you can get an *actual* PS90.  Sure, this is suffering from new gun unobtanium price hikes, but still. PS90 AND the tax stamp, or P50?

I had to look and yep, people are ASKING $2k and up on gun broker. You would have to be a fool to pay that since MSRP is $995.
Wait for things to settle and places like Buds will have them for ~$800
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2021, 05:44:54 PM »
Yes, if there's one thing KelTec is known for it's producing enough firearms that their catalog is easy to kfnd in stock at distributors for MSRP.....

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2021, 05:54:56 PM »
Patience Grasshopper. I've never had trouble finding KT products with a little bit of patience often below MSRP. Too many people judge current prices by what people who are counting on panic buyers are often asking on GB .
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2022, 07:56:03 PM »
My local gun shop had a P50 today after work.  $1099.  I didn't buy it.  Just didn't want to lay down $1100 then go spend more on ammo.  I think my problem is if I was going to spend that much, I would rather buy a Ruger made Marlin.   Or an M&P 10mm which seem to be vaporware. 

It is very light weight for the size.  I can really see shooting it one handed.  50 rounds might add some weight, but I doubt it would add that much. 

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2022, 09:49:23 PM »
I'm guessing that they have a few good moldmakers and injection molding people on staff.

And... Damn, but I'm seeing a LOT of folks wearing chest bags lately. Probably shorty AR "pistols" in them.
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2022, 08:19:50 PM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2022, 08:04:13 PM »
The Kel-Tec P-50 Carbine and Stock are HERE! [SHOT Show 2022]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcWFzflPwLI
- Calvin and Hobbes