Author Topic: Home made pizza  (Read 1373 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Home made pizza
« on: December 28, 2020, 01:23:51 PM »
I rarely buy prepared food or dine out anymore.

Pizza is something I love and I've been playing with recipes and methods for awhile.

Through all the forums, sites etc I stumbled upon a sauce recipe that I now use every time. Anyone I treat to it or share the recipe with really likes it also.

It's pretty simple, it's a "clone" of a local Chicago Pizza place sauce.

1 can (28oz) Tomato Puree
1/8 tsp ground Cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp fine sea salt or table salt
1 Tbsp grated Pecorino or Romano cheese.
1 to 2 tsp granulated sugar (I just use 1tsp)

Combine all ingredients and half of the sugar,
Adjust seasonings to taste (more sugar? more salt?).
Use immediately or refrigerate for later use.

I haven't found a pizza dough recipe I care for that much. My preferred crust is a thin cracker like crust.

My deep dish recipe is pretty dialed in with this sauce and a cold proofed dough recipe I've been playing with over a couple of years. I've used my deep dish dough recipe on my thin crust, rolling it real thin and it is acceptable. Not the cracker crust I'm looking for though.

I've been buying pre-made crusts by Pastorelli for my thin crust pizzas and they are good enough it's hard to get motivated to make a real dough. I've used Boboli crusts also but the Pastorelli crusts are thinner.

Johnsonville Sausage will work in a pinch. I found a local small grocer that makes their own sausage and it is a legitimate sausage like you would find in a ma and pa pizza place.

On thin crust pizza I cut the veggies real thin and put them on top vs under the cheese. Keeps things from getting too soggy.

Another thing I've just done in search of good home made pizza is I've purchased a 1/4 inch plate of steel that fits on my oven rack and seasoned it like a pan. I preheat the oven a solid 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour before cooking.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jim147

• friends
Re: Home made pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 10:21:59 AM »
It's a spur of the moment thing when I decide to make us all a pizza. I keep a couple of Best Choice thin crust mixes around and cook them on a pizza stone in a hot oven.

My wife makes the sauce and cans it up when the the tomatoes really start popping.

Toppings are whatever we have around.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 11:52:56 AM »
I have from time to time over the years thought about a pizza stone or even tiles for the oven.  But a hunk of steel sounds intriguing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 05:15:08 PM »
Your trendier grocery stores may carry a pre made dough. Publix here in the SE does and it’s good.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 11:02:31 PM »
Your trendier grocery stores may carry a pre made dough. Publix here in the SE does and it’s good.

I wasn't impressed with the Trader Joes pizza dough. It might be my lame oven was the problem though. With the steel plate in the oven the results might be better. I'll have to pick some up on my next visit.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.