Author Topic: Time to bake a ham...  (Read 1874 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Time to bake a ham...
« on: January 03, 2021, 07:25:42 AM »
Since my friend can't eat mammal meats, New Year's dinner didn't include pork again this year. Now that I'm back home, I'm going to bake a small ham I had in the freezer and go with that.

Going to have a bunch left over no matter what, so I'm figuring the meat will be pared off and the bone will be the base for soup later this winter.

Some of the meat will be used for sandwiches, but that will still leave a fair amount.

Anyone have any tried and true casserole recipes for left over ham?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Andiron

• friend
Re: Time to bake a ham...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 09:47:02 AM »
Would you consider ham and scalloped potatoes a casserole?  That's an excellent way to use up ham scraps and milk that's getting close to it's use by date.

I'm a connoisseur of the classic ham and cheese melt sandwich when it comes to Christmas ham  We do a fancy meat and cheese tray, so I'm experimenting with the leftovers. Baby Swiss, havarti, and goat gouda seem to be the best combo of melty and flavor with the ham.  Gonna try bergenost today.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 11:01:33 AM »
"Would you consider ham and scalloped potatoes a casserole? "

I would because it is decidedly a casserole.

I've done ham and scalloped potatoes many times in the past. Looking to see if anyone has anything... different.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 01:25:12 PM »
I don't get to do a lot of ham meals because of my wife's preference not to eat it but a really good way that makes up both happy is to make Mushroom Tagliatelle and at the end take some julienned ham and add at the end.

There is always a ham and pineapple pizza! :)

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 01:57:54 PM »
Ham meatballs?  Also, dice it up small and mix it with your scrambled eggs.  Add to corn chowder.  Use it to flavor navy beans or blackeyed peas.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 03:08:20 PM »
"Mushroom Tagliatelle"

And that is a serious contender!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 04:35:01 PM »

I would because it is decidedly a casserole.

I've never really thought that hard about it,  until you wrote that.  Casserole was always something made with concentrated soup mixed with leftovers and rice growing up.  To me ham and scalloped potatoes was similar to lasagna or shepherds pie.  Technically also casserole?   Any way you classify it,  I'm a fan. 
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 08:13:28 PM »
Things I make from leftover ham

Ham and Scalloped Potatoes
Ham and Corn Pudding
Ham and Potato soup
Ham and fried potatoes
Ham gravy and biscuits
Ham and noodles
Ham and Eggs

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 07:11:40 AM »
"Casserole was always something made with concentrated soup mixed with leftovers and rice growing up."

Wikipedia calls that the 'American casserole' variation, which became popular post WW II and which also eventually made people kind of anti-casserole because of the high sodium, high fat, and the general turn against "convenience foods."

The traditional definition of a casserole is generally a combined dish made with several main ingredients and a liquid (often serving as a binder) and cooked in a casserole dish.

Lasagna, baked ziti, shepherd's or cottage pie, pot pie, cassoulet, mac and cheese, all are casseroles.

All that said, I didn't bake the ham yesterday... I cooked it in the crock pot on high for about 5 hours. I had my doubts about it, but I found a bunch of stuff on line saying it was a good way of doing it. And it was. Turned out fantastic. The meat was firm, tender, juicy, and not at all dried out. And it seems as if its trip through the crock pot concentrated the ham flavor more so than baking it.

And now I have a bunch of ham left over and a very nice, meaty bone with some broth that I'll turn into soup.

I think this weekend the first thing I try is going to be the mushroom tagliatelle with ham.

After that, I'll have to figure it out.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 09:35:53 AM »
The potato soup with ham sounds like a great idea.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 09:49:17 AM »
But potato soup isn't a casserole....

The mushroom tagliatelle is closer to a casserole, as it can really be finished in the oven like tetrazzini.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 11:05:15 AM »
But potato soup isn't a casserole....

The mushroom tagliatelle is closer to a casserole, as it can really be finished in the oven like tetrazzini.

We're talking about you? It's all about me  :rofl:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 10:02:00 AM »
OK, ended up making ham, green beans, and potatoes (mashed) last night for dinner. Found a bag of green beans in the freezer and the light bulb went on. One of my favorite meals as a kid. That used up a bunch of the ham.

So, I think the rest of it is going to go into a big pot of ham and bean soup this weekend, which was another of my favorites as a kid.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 10:29:55 AM »
Save a little for Split Pea Soup

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 11:41:49 AM »
Nope. Ham and bean soup this go around.

I have another, larger, ham in the freezer that I'll do early February. That's when I'll make split pea soup.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 09:43:29 AM »
Forgot to mention that I made the ham and bean soup. Turned out REALLY well. Boiled the bone in some boxed chicken stock and it resulted in a very nice gelled stock.

Cut up the remaining 18 or so ounces of the ham, added in some Navy beans that I had soaked and boiled, onions, garlic, and other spices. I was reaching for the dry mustard and I came out of the spice cabinet with curry powder. Looked at it, thought what the hell, and added just under a tablespoon. Gave it a very nice, but different, flavor.

All in all, quite the success as far as I'm concerned.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 12:00:01 AM »
Mike - how about this idea.  Instead of a casserole, how about a single pan on the stove?  Take those Knorr Sides (noodles) and, depending on the number of people you need to feed, use 1-3 packages.  For ham, try the "Four Cheese" variety.  Dice the ham and add to the pot after the water, milk, and butter are starting to simmer. P.S. Package calls for 1 1/2c water, 1/2c milk, & 1 Tbsp butter/margarine but I use 1 c ea. water & milk & ~2 Tbsp margarine for the added volume of the meat.  If you use more than one package, adjust accordingly.
There are many other varieties such as Cheddar Broccoli, Alfredo, Cheesy Bacon Mac, etc.  I have used them for a number of years on leftover meats and, being single, they are fast and easy to do.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 06:45:51 AM »
Ham's long gone.

Using prepackaged stuff from Knorr or similar is OK, but there are times when I'd rather do it myself and make it the way I want to make it.