Author Topic: COIN TOSSING GOVERNANCE  (Read 1957 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
COIN TOSSING GOVERNANCE
« on: January 06, 2021, 08:29:33 AM »
COIN TOSSING GOVERNANCE

More and more, U.S. governance seems to be a matter of coin-flipping.  In the Senate, flip 100 coins over an issue one year and it's defeated 49% to 51% and the next year the coin toss is 51% to 49% for passage.

For the House, it's 435 coin-tosses.

I have a sneaking hunch we should have a three-party system.

"But nothing would get done!"

So much the better, to my mind.  But I don't think I've thought it through thoroughly.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 08:42:20 AM by 230RN »

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: COIN TOSSING GOVERNANCE
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 10:41:08 AM »
COIN TOSSING GOVERNANCE

More and more, U.S. governance seems to be a matter of coin-flipping.  In the Senate, flip 100 coins over an issue one year and it's defeated 49% to 51% and the next year the coin toss is 51% to 49% for passage.

For the House, it's 435 coin-tosses.

I have a sneaking hunch we should have a three-party system.

"But nothing would get done!"

So much the better, to my mind.  But I don't think I've thought it through thoroughly.

Too many elections are too close for me to believe they are legitimate elections.

I'm done suspending disbelief.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 12:29:27 PM »
More or no parties could be good. But then you look at Britain, Germany or Israel that have lots of parties and you realize that it is different show, same crap.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 01:16:47 PM »
More or no parties could be good. But then you look at Britain, Germany or Israel that have lots of parties and you realize that it is different show, same crap.

Or Iraq.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 08:42:45 PM »
I like coins.  My favorites are my Czech 50-crown piece, a Canadian Toonie, and most of all my 1976 Eisenhower dollar.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 09:42:07 PM »
Too many elections are too close for me to believe they are legitimate elections.

I'm done suspending disbelief.

The two party system takes EVERY issue and turns it into a blue-red partisan choice.  I'm surprised there hasn't been an effort to make red-blue take sides on pineapple pizza.

It's engineered to turn into a balancing act.  And when one party loses its balance capabilities, it adapts its platform in order to try to reattain balance.

You will never see Republicans remain principled.  If a principle is not popular it will go out the window.  This is why Libertarians have so little clout or representation, and why Libertarian candidates are so awful; they try to change the party platform to engage in the economics of vote-gathering rather than representing the party.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 09:47:02 PM »
I'm thinking in four years there will be a stronger third party candidate than Ross. That's going to be a mess.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 11:51:09 PM »
I'm thinking in four years there will be a stronger third party candidate than Ross. That's going to be a mess.

Looks like Tulsi to me. Not my first choice but after her Hawaiian good luck sign to the dems on the way out it might be an acceptable choice.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 09:42:48 AM »
Gabbard is anti-2A and pro-open borders. That'll be a no from me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 10:07:45 AM »
Looks like Tulsi to me. Not my first choice but after her Hawaiian good luck sign to the dems on the way out it might be an acceptable choice.
Maybe better than other choices, but some of her stances won't work for me.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 10:11:03 AM »

I'd accept her if my choice lost to her. I could live with her policies 10X more easily than I will be living with Biden/Harris over the next four years. Resist 46.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 12:02:42 PM »
Gabbard is anti-2A and pro-open borders. That'll be a no from me.

Dittos for me.   In many ways I respect her for not being Biden/Harris/AOC/Obama, et al.,  she can be sane on some issues,  but anti 2A tears it for me.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 12:38:19 PM »
You are looking at her the wrong way. She is the perfect third party choice so the dems will never let it happen.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG