Author Topic: Carbon steel pans... yes? no? maybe?  (Read 4146 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon steel pans... yes? no? maybe?
« on: January 06, 2021, 12:34:26 PM »
Debating whether or not to get a carbon steel pan.

I have a couple of stainless steel pans, and a couple of teflon pans, but the teflon is wearing out and I'm not all that crazy about the stainless pans. Even a lump of butter sticks in them.

So... yes? no? maybe?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Carbon steel pans... yes? no? maybe?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 12:44:49 PM »
I like my carbon steel pans. Like cast iron they take a little bit of maintenance but once properly seasoned they are hard to beat. You can use steel tools in them, take them from stove top to broiler, good for searing.

Some of them can get pretty spendy which could be a down side. Lighter than cast iron, a good thing IMO.

If I were going to buy new cookware I would look at replacing with carbon steel for a few more skillets.

Grace Young (Chinese Chef) has a method for seasoning that I used, I don't know if it was any better than any other way but it worked.

bob

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 12:59:20 PM »
I have one I bought for camping and it only went camping once.

It has been in regular use in the kitchen since I bought it a few years ago.

As a side benefit it works great for making deep dish pizza.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 01:10:10 PM »
I love my cast iron, but I have a glass top stove and, even with being careful, I scratched it using my big cast iron pan. So, I'm looking for something similar, and the carbon steel seems to be a good substitute.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 01:11:47 PM »
My carbon steel pan has become my most used pan. For most applications, I will even grab it over the cast iron. It is by far the most expensive pan I have ever bought, but to me, worth every penny.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00462QP0W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 01:37:41 PM »
Hell with it, for $30 I bought it.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 02:51:49 PM »

That works, one thing with that one the handle will probably get hot. Be sure to use a hot pad, gloves or even something like this .

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 02:59:17 PM »
I've got a silicone pan handle for my splatter screen that should work nicely on it.

If it doesn't, I have multiple other options.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 06:02:12 PM »
I have a big 12-14" with high sides I love to use when I need to cook that much.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 09:43:54 PM »

Let us know how it turns out.  I've had my eye on that same pan.
"It's good, though..."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 02:36:56 PM »
I really like my carbon steel pan.  Seasoning is a bit different from cast iron.

What I found to work great is to use the peelings from a couple potatoes, 1/3 cup oil and 2/3 cup salt.  Cook on medium heat until the potato peels are pretty dark, 10 minutes or so.  Discard contents, clean pan, and dry.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 02:41:36 PM »
I will say that the only negative to my carbon steel pan was the time it took to remove that *expletive deleted*ing beeswax coating.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 03:16:16 PM »
Fill it partially with water and then boil it on the stove top for 2 or 3 minutes. Dump the water, fill it with hot tap water and detergent and scrub.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 03:21:05 PM »
I own only one CS cooking vessel. I bought a large rolled carbon steel wok at a Chinese market when I was a college student over 49 years ago. It’s been great and I’ve used it on the gas range, an outside propane burner (fish fryer type), and over many wood campfires.
For everything else, I prefer my vintage cast iron. But if I didn’t have that, I would certainly consider decent CS pans or skillets.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2021, 02:09:21 AM »
I own only one CS cooking vessel. I bought a large rolled carbon steel wok at a Chinese market when I was a college student over 49 years ago. It’s been great and I’ve used it on the gas range, an outside propane burner (fish fryer type), and over many wood campfires.

I've got a carbon steel wok I received as a Christmas gift from my ex-wife about 30 years ago.  I love the darn thing, unlike my ex-wife.  I have been on an Asian kick recently, so the wok has seen a fair amount of use on our gas stove.  Beats the heck out of using a regular frying pan for stir frying anything.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2021, 12:07:23 PM »
OK, I've used it a couple of times since I got it Saturday.

So far, so good.

Yesterday I made ham and bean soup, so I used it to sweat the onions. Nothing very taxing about that.

After I cleaned it last night I gave it a light coating of oil and heated it until it smoked.

This morning I made eggs for breakfast. Sprayed some Pam in it. Some very light sticking, but overall not bad at all.

I'm going to be using it this evening to cook some ground turkey.

So far I like it. The weight is good and it perfectly fits the burners on my stove.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2021, 04:04:50 PM »
Re-seasoned mine today.

I inadvertently damaged the seasoning by deglazing.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2021, 04:25:03 PM »
"I inadvertently damaged the seasoning by deglazing."

PERVERT!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2021, 06:52:11 AM »
I'm really liking this pan so far.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2021, 04:52:49 PM »
I used one for a few years, until I accidentally figured out how to make my cast iron pan work. The only advantage I see to steel is they are MUCH lighter, and tend to start with a much smoother surface, where new Lodge pans need to be hit with a flap wheel and boiled in bacon grease for a week before they start to be pleasant to work with.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2021, 04:58:23 PM »
I used one for a few years, until I accidentally figured out how to make my cast iron pan work. The only advantage I see to steel is they are MUCH lighter, and tend to start with a much smoother surface, where new Lodge pans need to be hit with a flap wheel and boiled in bacon grease for a week before they start to be pleasant to work with.

I found out that with cast iron, cooking at a lower temp and more fat (i.e. butter) makes them less sticky.  I can slide an egg around in my newer 13.5" Lodge now when cooking.

I have been thinking about a carbon steel pan for my grill for making veggies up when grilling meat. Just because it's lighter and I constantly be flipping my veggies.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2021, 05:15:02 PM »
I've always had trouble getting and keeping a cast iron pan seasoned.  Well a few months ago I was cleaning out my pantry and the can of shortening was starting to smell rancid.  (it takes a *long* time for shortening to turn, this can of shortening might have been many years old)  I warmed up my iron skillets a little and wiped them down with it before I threw the can away.  I put the skillets in the oven and forgot about them.  I pulled them out a week or two later to use the oven, and they were seasoned very nicely.  I'm enjoying using them. 

I wipe them with a paper towel with a little turkey fat on it when I am finished with them to maintain the seasoning.  (vegetable oil gets sticky when it dries; it's too unsaturated.  Beef or pork fat doesn't dry.  Poultry fat seems to be about right, it dries and hardens very slowly.  I suspect the iron is a catalyst)
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2021, 04:34:52 PM »
I found out that with cast iron, cooking at a lower temp and more fat (i.e. butter) makes them less sticky.  I can slide an egg around in my newer 13.5" Lodge now when cooking.

I have been thinking about a carbon steel pan for my grill for making veggies up when grilling meat. Just because it's lighter and I constantly be flipping my veggies.

Yep, lots of butter, olive oil, or bacon grease, and nothing sticks.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2021, 01:28:17 PM »
The more I use this thing the more I like it.

I pan seared a couple of thick boneless pork loin chops last night for dinner.

A heavy does of no stick spray and no sticking problems at all. Then I dumped in a can of hominy after I pulled the chops to rest. Again, no sticking issues.