Author Topic: It's getting sporty in Washington...  (Read 79237 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: It's getting sporty in Washington...
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2021, 02:19:56 PM »
You mean if we look all the way back to the past year?

The mayor condemns federal agents arresting rioters as fascist, lets the mob have a chunk of the city, and looks the other way when murders occur.

;)

so again, what's the right call? Many people said letting the rioters do their thing was wrong. Now, a rioter climbing into a busted window getting shot is wrong. I have seen simple property crimes have people advocating for police "putting them down". And if that's how you feel, so be it. I can't exactly say it's wrong, even. But some level of consistency should be applied.

Like so many things in politics, the answer SEEMS to be "depends if the person being a hooligan agrees with me or not"

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2021, 02:22:19 PM »
Different angle on the shooting. Seems like they'll have a lot of explaining to do regarding justification. Especially with cops being right near her on her side of the door from what I can tell.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/01/07/new-graphic-video-shows-the-shooting-of-ashli-babbitt-from-a-different-angle/

As much as I dislike how the crowds were acting, there's no way to explain what I just saw other than cold-blooded murder. She had no weapon. She was not inside the door. There were no officials or government actors being directly menaced. There were no officials even within object-throwing range, for that matter, much less any in some type of imminent danger. Yes, it appears she was climbing on the door frame and probably trying to break a window, but there was no apparent threat involved beyond what the rest of the crowd was evidencing. I think it's even more evidence that it was unwarranted when the uniformed officer standing behind her went immediately to full-ready with weapon pointed in what seemed to be the direction of the shooter.

If the DOJ doesn't hand the agent/officer involved his ass, and quickly, this will only serve to foment distrust and stoke anger among an already-volatile group. At the very least, the shooter is going to have a world of anger an hate laser-focused on them. It will surprise me greatly if the shooter wasn't soon being referenced in the same tone as Lon Horiuchi and Richard Rogers. Rightfully so, too, IMHO.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 02:42:33 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2021, 02:25:25 PM »
NM.
duplicate.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2021, 02:28:11 PM »
Now, a rioter climbing into a busted window getting shot is wrong.

We probably, if it exists, need more video on that. I can't tell if she was climbing up and hanging there on on her side, or had partially climbed through. It certainly didn't look like she had made it all the way through or to any point that looked like she was being a threat. Another angle might prove me wrong. The guy in the suit behind her appeared to be an Agent and he didn't do anything to her other than immediately help her after the shot (and good on him).

In other riots, when people do what she did, I generally just see the cops push them back or smack them, and that's at open barricades with lots of people pushing through at once, not a single individual. This looked to be a single small opening she had to wriggle through.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2021, 02:34:38 PM »
We probably, if it exists, need more video on that. I can't tell if she was climbing up and hanging there on on her side, or had partially climbed through. It certainly didn't look like she had made it all the way through or to any point that looked like she was being a threat. Another angle might prove me wrong. The guy in the suit behind her appeared to be an Agent and he didn't do anything to her other than immediately help her after the shot (and good on him).

In other riots, when people do what she did, I generally just see the cops push them back or smack them, and that's at open barricades with lots of people pushing through at once, not a single individual. This looked to be a single small opening she had to wriggle through.
That is what I was thinking.  What we have seen in the last year is cops do everything they can to avoid using a gun to the point of taking a beating themselves.  I don't know if he tried something else prior to this since the video is short.  I am curious if the SWAT guys in riot gear that showed up right after could have been there sooner.  

Also, what was behind this door that was so important?  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2021, 02:36:59 PM »
That is what I was thinking.  What we have seen in the last year is cops do everything they can to avoid using a gun to the point of taking a beating themselves.  I don't know if he tried something else prior to this since the video is short.  I am curious if the SWAT guys in riot gear that showed up right after could have been there sooner.  

that was the speakers chamber IIRC. It's entirely possible that some high ranking bumblehead was still in there which would explain the immediate response.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2021, 02:37:49 PM »

Your betters, dummy.  =D

ETA and not so funny, Chris Murphy is in an uproar because the military didn't respond to protect his worthless ass.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2021, 02:47:14 PM »
so again, what's the right call? Many people said letting the rioters do their thing was wrong. Now, a rioter climbing into a busted window getting shot is wrong. I have seen simple property crimes have people advocating for police "putting them down". And if that's how you feel, so be it. I can't exactly say it's wrong, even. But some level of consistency should be applied.

Like so many things in politics, the answer SEEMS to be "depends if the person being a hooligan agrees with me or not"
You're not wrong in noting the wild discrepancy in reaction to the same kind of activity based on whose team someone appears to be on.

That said, I don't think there is any hypocrisy in saying that her actions certainly justified arrest and possibly prosecution but did not appear to have yet risen to the level of lethal force while simultaneously noting that repeated actions that certainly did rise to the level of lethal force (i.e., attempted arson of an occupied building) have been handled much more gently and the responses were still criticized as too harsh.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2021, 03:00:22 PM »
Keep in mind that all of this was happening inside Pelosi's house.  That might explain the harsh response.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2021, 03:08:52 PM »
I'm starting to read speculation that the shot was an unintentional discharge by a nervous officer with his finger on the trigger.  Looking at the videos...hard to say definitively if that was an intentional shot or not, IMHO.

As for now, I'm staying off social media, and any other discussions of this.  

I'm reading lefties saying that the Cap Police are complicit in this invasion, and should have been firing on the crowd as soon as the first barricade was crossed.
I read one admitted communist spouting that every person there should be tried and convicted of treason, hung in gallows on the Mall, and their corpses left to rot.  He advocated for the entire Capital police force to be tried as co-conspirators for "allowing this to happen" and hung alongside the protesters.
I'm reading a lot of "if they were black" comments, comparing the lack of violence by the police here to the violence during the summer BLM riots.  
I'm reading some conservative acquaintances saying "maybe there is a need for police reform given this violent attack on peaceful protesters at the capital."

Nothing I could say to any of these people means a damned thing anyways...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2021, 03:13:20 PM »
That is not Pelosi's it Our House. But everyone has forgotten it.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2021, 03:46:04 PM »
https://www.theblaze.com/news/facebook-ban-capitol-protest-content-trump-account

Facebook announced it would ban and remove photos and videos from the protest at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C. The social media platform claims that photos and videos from Wednesday's events violate Facebook's policy of "promotion of criminal activity."
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2021, 03:49:58 PM »
I'm starting to read speculation that the shot was an unintentional discharge by a nervous officer with his finger on the trigger.  Looking at the videos...hard to say definitively if that was an intentional shot or not, IMHO.

The video that Ben posted above is pretty damning. The shooter takes a step from behind cover, aims, and the shot rings out. Hard to call that "unintentional discharge due to nervousness".

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2021, 04:00:16 PM »
https://www.theblaze.com/news/facebook-ban-capitol-protest-content-trump-account

I am having the same issue with Imgur, either over capacity or their current events link is a 404 page. Is someone trying to supress images and what could be construed as sympathetic to the mostly peaceful protesters yesterday?

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2021, 04:11:38 PM »
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

NOW they dont want to encourage criminal activity?!?!?!?
It is stupid anyway.  Banning it on their site doesn't make it go away.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2021, 04:15:24 PM »
Different angle on the shooting. Seems like they'll have a lot of explaining to do regarding justification. Especially with cops being right near her on her side of the door from what I can tell.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/01/07/new-graphic-video-shows-the-shooting-of-ashli-babbitt-from-a-different-angle/

I have a video of the shooting on my hard drive, it was not provoked, it was not a "in fear of my life", it was not a nervous rookie. It was a deliberate act from several feet away. Once Imgur comes back up I will save and post.

bob

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2021, 04:19:13 PM »
From Babylon Bee:

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2021, 04:26:02 PM »
Unity!

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2021/01/07/unity-and-healing-joe-biden-does-his-part-to-turn-storming-of-u-s-capitol-into-a-racial-controversy/
Has he seen the last few BLM protests?  I seemed to be mostly white people.  At least those were the ones arrested for riot activities. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2021, 05:16:03 PM »
I saw meme on Instagram.  The officer wasn't going to shoot, but the woman asked him about his vehicle's extended warranty.  

And another "We could have stormed Area 51 after all!"    :rofl:

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2021, 05:41:20 PM »
That is not Pelosi's it Our House. But everyone has forgotten it.

Pretty much my point.  The congresscritters think it belongs to them.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.