Author Topic: It's getting sporty in Washington...  (Read 79217 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: It's getting sporty in Washington...
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2021, 08:51:14 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2021, 09:19:42 PM »
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2021, 09:32:35 PM »
On the broader subject of political violence:

https://twitter.com/Doc_0/status/1347154640039718912

Political violence is always wrong and should never be tolerated from anyone. Once "protesters" threaten lives and property, their grievances and ideology should become absolutely irrelevant to the situation.

That is, obviously, not the country we live in.

When violence becomes acceptable from one party and its clients, one ideology, it becomes an instrument of authoritarianism. That's why authoritarian regimes frequently have violent vigilante groups roaming the streets in addition to their vast security and military forces.

Either political violence is rejected in total - from everyone, for any reason, no matter who they are or what they believe - or it isn't. Once the tolerance level is no longer zero, we become locked in a vicious and endless struggle to control exactly what the level should be.

Much more at the link.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2021, 09:44:00 PM »
derp

I blame using phones for anything but making calls.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2021, 09:50:31 PM »
*sigh*
                         - Barack Obama

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #180 on: January 07, 2021, 10:40:11 PM »
At what point does political violence become a fight for freedom and liberty?  Just asking for the Declaration of Independence.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #181 on: January 07, 2021, 10:44:11 PM »
At what point does political violence become a fight for freedom and liberty?  Just asking for the Declaration of Independence.

When people actually do more than steal hard drives and pose for pictures
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
                         - Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #183 on: January 08, 2021, 12:30:50 AM »
When all is said and done, I'd like to see a damage accounting for this treasonous insurrection and violent riot and compare it with the damage left in the wake of the peaceful protests staged by BLM in Chicago, Minneapolis, Portland, etc.

Somehow I don't think a few broken windows and such will equal the peaceful looting spree on Chicago's Magnificent Mile, peaceful torching of Wendy's, AutoZone, and other stores, peaceful looting of Target, peaceful  CHOP/CHAZ establishment, peaceful torching of a police station, peaceful torching of police and other vehicles, etc.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #184 on: January 08, 2021, 07:01:15 AM »
When all is said and done, I'd like to see a damage accounting for this treasonous insurrection and violent riot and compare it with the damage left in the wake of the peaceful protests staged by BLM in Chicago, Minneapolis, Portland, etc.

Somehow I don't think a few broken windows and such will equal the peaceful looting spree on Chicago's Magnificent Mile, peaceful torching of Wendy's, AutoZone, and other stores, peaceful looting of Target, peaceful  CHOP/CHAZ establishment, peaceful torching of a police station, peaceful torching of police and other vehicles, etc.
Americans have mastered the art of not seeing things and living in cognitive dissonance.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #185 on: January 08, 2021, 07:19:41 AM »
Starting to see corporations issuing statements denouncing the events in the capital and besmirching the thousands in attendance.

This is in stark contrast to the lockstep support BLM/Antifa receive to this day from EVERY SINGLE CORPORATE AND GOVERNMENT mouthpiece.

What tiny percentage of the attendees were engaged in the vandalism?

Anybody else see the video of the capital police backing away and letting the vandals in?

What percentage of the attendees did nothing wrong and acted perfectly civil?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #186 on: January 08, 2021, 07:53:05 AM »
It doesn't matter. We are at war and in war truth is the first casualty. Regrettably so.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #187 on: January 08, 2021, 07:55:46 AM »
Starting to see corporations issuing statements denouncing the events in the capital and besmirching the thousands in attendance.

This is in stark contrast to the lockstep support BLM/Antifa receive to this day from EVERY SINGLE CORPORATE AND GOVERNMENT mouthpiece.

What tiny percentage of the attendees were engaged in the vandalism?

Anybody else see the video of the capital police backing away and letting the vandals in?

What percentage of the attendees did nothing wrong and acted perfectly civil?

While there was a little of this with some identified antifa rioters, this is ridiculous. These businesses are not just firing employees who were rioters, they are firing anyone who showed up to protest. I just read some 56 year old lady was fired, and all she did was show up in DC and sing the National Anthem.

I want to be fair about calling out this rioting the same as the antifa rioting, but I'm seeing 100X the outrage over this compared to any of the hundreds of antifa riots, and also nothing but "these people were treated with kid gloves because "RACISM!". If this were a BLM protest and a black woman were killed by police in the same way this white woman was killed, we would be seeing burning buildings in the usual big cities across the country.

Yes, this was a bad thing, but it didn't approach many of the antifa riots we have seen throughout the year. The over the top outrage is making it hard for me to to look at the incident and response in an unbiased manner. I just want all these loudmouthed SJW people in politics and the MSM to go to hell, I want twitter and facebook to die, and I want to lay low and be left alone. I'm becoming disgusted with my country.

ETA: I also notice "unbiased" news sources like NPR are calling this not a riot, but "insurrection against the United States". Far cry from "mostly peaceful".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #188 on: January 08, 2021, 08:09:50 AM »
Also, here's a photo of the overall rally. What percentage of these people were "violent insurrectionists"? If you want to talk about "mostly peaceful", here's an example:

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: January 08, 2021, 08:17:08 AM »
Yes, this was a bad thing, but it didn't approach many of the antifa riots we have seen throughout the year. The over the top outrage is making it hard for me to to look at the incident and response in an unbiased manner. I just want all these loudmouthed SJW people in politics and the MSM to go to hell, I want twitter and facebook to die, and I want to lay low and be left alone. I'm becoming disgusted with my country.
Well said.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2021, 09:10:41 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/us/politics/trump-self-pardon.html?searchResultPosition=1

It will be interesting to see if the President pardons himself before leaving office. Or an alternative method would be to resign on January 19th and have President Pence pardon him on the way out.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #191 on: January 08, 2021, 09:17:49 AM »
It looks like the only shooting to have occurred during this demonstration was done by law enforcement. 
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: January 08, 2021, 09:33:04 AM »

This articulates the feeling that I and many, many people have right now.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #193 on: January 08, 2021, 09:36:49 AM »
Depends
If the person swinging the fire extinguisher is conservative then  it's a weapon of mass destruction.
If the person swinging the fire extinguisher is ANIFA, BLM, or similar then it's an innocent basket of goodies for grandma.

Also depends on if the person who hit a cop with the extinguisher was protecting someone else.  Might have been another cop throwing "less lethal" rounds at point blank or something like that.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #194 on: January 08, 2021, 09:38:34 AM »
Also depends on if the person who hit a cop with the extinguisher was protecting someone else.  Might have been another cop throwing "less lethal" rounds at point blank or something like that.

That won’t matter

When conservative activists occupied a state house the left was literally calling for their murder

The cop will be used as a martyr to end conservatism in the United States

The aftermath of this is the end of American liberty
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #195 on: January 08, 2021, 09:44:04 AM »

ETA: I also notice "unbiased" news sources like NPR are calling this not a riot, but "insurrection against the United States". Far cry from "mostly peaceful".

In a discussion about what the rulers are going to do next the smartest thing I've heard was the comment:

"Don’t worry about their agenda. Worry about your agenda."

The government/media complex is all "Strawberry Fields Forever". Nothing is as it seems.

We must insulate ourselves from the system as much as is possible.

https://genius.com/The-beatles-strawberry-fields-forever-lyrics

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2021, 09:50:52 AM »
In a discussion about what the rulers are going to do next the smartest thing I've heard was the comment:

"Don’t worry about their agenda. Worry about your agenda."

The government/media complex is all "Strawberry Fields Forever". Nothing is as it seems.

We must insulate ourselves from the system as much as is possible.

Possibly unpopular opinion:
Laying low and insulating yourself from a system that's becoming increasing tumultuous works for the early stages of the collapse.  However, inevitably it will reorganize, and the reorganizers will need a scapegoat to blame the problems on and shift public anger away from themselves.  For instance, look to the early stages of the USSR.  Dropping out works for now, but consider in time, you may need to expatriate to avoid becoming a casualty of political violence.  =(  Plan accordingly.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #197 on: January 08, 2021, 10:31:23 AM »
That won’t matter

When conservative activists occupied a state house the left was literally calling for their murder

The cop will be used as a martyr to end crimanilze conservatism in the United States

The aftermath of this is the end of American liberty

Fixed it for you . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #198 on: January 08, 2021, 11:37:51 AM »
Possibly unpopular opinion:
Laying low and insulating yourself from a system that's becoming increasing tumultuous works for the early stages of the collapse.  However, inevitably it will reorganize, and the reorganizers will need a scapegoat to blame the problems on and shift public anger away from themselves.  For instance, look to the early stages of the USSR.  Dropping out works for now, but consider in time, you may need to expatriate to avoid becoming a casualty of political violence.  =(  Plan accordingly.

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. Calling myself an outlaw sounds cool, but the only reason I can lay low is because I am a little, tiny, miniscule fish in a big pond. All the income that allows me to do that comes from electronic accounts. The gov could wipe me out with a few keystrokes on somebody's computer if they decided they need to teach me a lesson on who my master is.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #199 on: January 08, 2021, 11:55:20 AM »
https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2021-01-07/capitol-police-chief-to-resign-next-week-reports

Sen. Lindsey Graham, South Carolina Republican, said on Thursday that the police forces protecting the Capitol should have been much more forceful in their response.

"Warning shots should have been fired and lethal force should have been used," the South Carolina Republican and close ally of Trump's said, adding that backpacks the protesters were carrying could have contained bombs. "If this is not a wake-up call, I don't know what is."

That's a ration of horseshit, Graham.  There's no precedent for explosives deployment in this political movement.  I know there were reportedly IED's put in place at the Republican and Democrat party headquarters in DC during this, but I'm rather skeptical of the truth of that.  No one was armed at this protest at the Capitol.  I don't see bombs getting deployed if there was no gunfire exchange with Capitol police, given that firearms are so much simpler to obtain and deploy than explosives.  Even those of you with kitchen improvisation knowledge, building the energetic component as well as a reliable remote/timed detonator is more complicated than obtaining a firearm and a little ammo.  Graham is throwing a massive conjectured/hypothetical out there just to suit his desired outcome.

Pelosi is also calling for Sund to resign, and major prosecutions.  Full on fed cases involving terrorism and the like.

My takeaway is that if you shoot an unarmed mob who are protesting at the Capitol, and throw terrorism charges and them, and they have a serious enough grievance to amass tens of thousands of people... and those people did little/minimal damage to the government building in question... then the next time that mob will not be unarmed.  And you don't have enough police officers for that.

But I come from this having supported the BLM movement's attacks on government buildings and police precincts.  They lost my support when they started attacking businesses and intimidating lay people.  If they had pulled a modern day Huey Newton instead, I'd have been so supportive.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!