Author Topic: It's getting sporty in Washington...  (Read 79132 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: It's getting sporty in Washington...
« Reply #275 on: January 09, 2021, 12:23:45 PM »
Knew I should have kept that old phone and modem

I've got an old portable modem around here someplace.  I used it back in my storm chasing days before wireless access became ubiquitous.
I even have a few ISA and PCI modem cards in a bin downstairs.  I should check on drivers for them.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #276 on: January 09, 2021, 12:26:22 PM »
They won't need to go jackboot on us, rounding us up.

They will just keep denying us access to things one by one.

Gun owners refusing to comply with voluntary buy backs will be denied bank accounts, credit and access to health care. They will freeze your retirement accounts. Non-compliant gun owners will be unemployable.

We will either submit to survive or be denied everything needed to live modern life.

They have plenty of time. No hurry.

Who you going to go out and shoot or go to war with?

I think you're right in that the government wouldn't need to go jackboot on us.  However, going jackboot seems to be the default government response most times.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #277 on: January 09, 2021, 12:41:06 PM »

It won't be a red vs blue war.  It will be a guerilla war.  Hit and run.  Bombs.  Sniping.  Harassing.  Burning down entire buildings to get one politician.  Target every politician in every way possible.  Some will get the message, eventually.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #278 on: January 09, 2021, 02:56:30 PM »
What do dissidents do when they can't have DNS?

(Serious question, I suspect we'll run into that with general deplatforming.)

Namecoin.

It's a blockchain based DNS that government cannot bully.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #279 on: January 09, 2021, 03:00:44 PM »
It won't be a red vs blue war.  It will be a guerilla war.  Hit and run.  Bombs.  Sniping.  Harassing.  Burning down entire buildings to get one politician.  Target every politician in every way possible.  Some will get the message, eventually.

Live life, be happy, go out on the town, go to your kid's PTA meetings. Every now and then something related to the feudal lords catches on fire. Strange, that.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #280 on: January 09, 2021, 03:20:18 PM »
Anyways, this is no longer inciting violence:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2021/01/09/kathy-griffins-photo-to-encourage-trump-to-resign-apparently-doesnt-violate-any-inciting-violence-rules/

I'd like to see someone come out with some life-size Biden and Harris heads - on pikes. Then I'd like to see people display them in their yards, in their pickup beds, etc. That would be cool right? The same people that thought Trump's bloody head was funny will think the same of the heads on a pike, right? It would be equality and unity.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 09, 2021, 04:02:00 PM »
I have a couple of USB Modems in my Computer Emergency Backpack. Used one a few times when we first moved back and were staying in a friend's storage area (It had a bedroom/office we slept in).
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #282 on: January 09, 2021, 04:02:50 PM »
Anyways, this is no longer inciting violence:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2021/01/09/kathy-griffins-photo-to-encourage-trump-to-resign-apparently-doesnt-violate-any-inciting-violence-rules/

I'd like to see someone come out with some life-size Biden and Harris heads - on pikes. Then I'd like to see people display them in their yards, in their pickup beds, etc. That would be cool right? The same people that thought Trump's bloody head was funny will think the same of the heads on a pike, right? It would be equality and unity.

The tweet's been taken down, for what it's worth.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #283 on: January 09, 2021, 04:06:50 PM »
The tweet's been taken down, for what it's worth.

They say it's removed, the the picture is still there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #284 on: January 09, 2021, 04:30:16 PM »
It's always about race

And yet, as days pass after pro-Trump insurrectionists stormed into the U.S. Capitol, the NHL world has been largely silent and passive, retreating once again behind its apolitical shield.

…

At its core, the storming of the Capitol represented a violent white supremacist insurrection, the actions of people worked into a frenzy against a multiracial democracy. When people, including NHL players, took to the streets to protest against police shootings and systemic racism, this is exactly the sick and debased ideology they were standing up against.

On Wednesday though, when the opportunity presented itself to specifically condemn these actions—that were so clearly against what players say they stand for—why were so many in the hockey community so utterly silent?
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/01/09/usa-today-notes-the-telling-silence-of-nhl-players-since-the-storming-of-the-capitol-building-by-white-supremacists/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #285 on: January 09, 2021, 04:35:07 PM »
It's always about race
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/01/09/usa-today-notes-the-telling-silence-of-nhl-players-since-the-storming-of-the-capitol-building-by-white-supremacists/

And there's some of what we're talking about in the other thread - removing language and definitions and replacing them to fit new narratives. Any time white people protest about anything, it means they're white supremacists and thus they should be dismissed or outright loathed.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #287 on: January 09, 2021, 05:26:26 PM »
To heck with the US Curling Team.  I want to know about the US Lawn Bowling Team!  Have they denounced the white supremacists that stormed the capitol?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #288 on: January 09, 2021, 05:48:14 PM »
 :facepalm:

https://twitter.com/bigangrylaw/status/1348007294148227072

Please tell me that no one is this stupid.

Never mind, I already know the answer.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #289 on: January 09, 2021, 06:03:02 PM »

All I get is
This is not available to you

Edit: Never mind, came up on the 3rd try
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #290 on: January 09, 2021, 06:07:19 PM »
Anyway, on the while inciting thing...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1347703375270350851

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #291 on: January 09, 2021, 06:24:50 PM »
Funny how when there's a request for the same data on the left the data is lost for some reason.

Incoming-Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Mark Warner (D-VA) on Friday sent a letter to the CEOs of social media platforms and telecommunications companies about last week's riot at the United States Capitol. Warner instructed the companies to "preserve digital evidence" of the riot.

Warner wants the platforms to "immediately preserve any and all posts, communications, videos and other media, meta-data, cloud backups, and subscriber information, whether currently on your platform or in any backup or archived state." He made the instruction in anticipation of formal legal proceedings.
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbaumann/2021/01/09/incoming-senate-intel-committee-chair-issues-tech-directive-over-capitol-hill-rio-n2582872
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 07:14:18 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #292 on: January 09, 2021, 06:32:06 PM »
What do dissidents do when they can't have DNS?

(Serious question, I suspect we'll run into that with general deplatforming.)

Honestly, we'll probably all end up on a forum accessible on TOR, hosted on servers in a neutral country.  I mucked with it in the past and found it fairy easy to do.

Also, we really should start creating pgp keypairs and distributing our public keys to people we communicate with.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #293 on: January 09, 2021, 07:13:11 PM »

DW & I were discussing that earlier this evening.  We decided it wouldn't make much sense to try to go after leftists/antifa/blm etc. - it'd be too hard to ID them.  Government workers, easy enough to ID, but well protected.

There is the question of who would take over the governance of the country?  And who would lead any efforts to replace the current .gov?  A full-blown coup would require a military style setup for the insurrectionists, with a leader (or committee), generals, captains, lieutenants, sergeants etc.

Guerrilla warfare would be do-able.  One would have to hope that the remaining leaders would get the (correct) message and start behaving as desired.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #294 on: January 09, 2021, 10:44:10 PM »
If it comes down to regular murders and assassination as tools of political debate (to say nothing of reprisal killings and "collateral damage"), there would not be enough of a country left functioning to worry about governing.  That's not a pathway I want to even consider at the moment.

I just finished an interview by Bret Weinstein of Jeremy Lee Quin, an independent reporter who was at the capitol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFJdjO0fD4E

Bret is a self described far-leftist, and Jeremy Lee Quin also identifies at left, but both have been deplatformed and are regularly attacked by "their side" for the unforgivable crime of being willing to talk with their political opponents in good faith.  I certainly didn't agree with everything said in the interview, but felt that they addressed it in as well as could be expected and provided some good context and importantly an outsider viewpoint that is at least trying for objectivity.

One major takeaway was the diversity of the crowd, including the people who broke in.  He mentioned interviewing someone who was favorable to white nationalism (notably the very first he has found so far while covering these kinds of events) but also running into "grandmas for Trump" inside the capitol building.

He also discusses the commonality of the tactics between the rioters at the capitol and the antifa affiliated groups.

Good interview, and worth the time to listen.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #295 on: January 09, 2021, 11:01:43 PM »

Surely you know a lefty that deserves to go on that list..
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #296 on: January 09, 2021, 11:05:45 PM »

JeffMAC
9 hours ago
⚠️
YT is getting ready to cut out the footage from inside of the capital for "music copyright". The audio in the video is a siren, noises from the crowd, and my legally owned beat playing. It's unbelievable 🤦‍♂️ if you would like to see for yourself before it's cut out, it's said to be the time frame of [1:53:13 - 1:54:26] in my video titled "LIVE: Save America March Part 2 | Freedom Rally | Washington DC | Protest for Freedom | USA |"
https://www.youtube.com/post/UgyLkuMP601JhI-PjTd4AaABCQ
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #297 on: January 09, 2021, 11:29:15 PM »
Isn't it odd that there's no branch or organization in our government standing up for the historic American ideals and principles supposedly protected by the constitution? Like freedom of speech, freedom of association, protection of the institution of free and fair elections etc? It's hard to believe it's all compromised through and through.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #298 on: January 10, 2021, 09:53:54 AM »
The Latest: Pelosi Ties Rioters' Actions to 'Whiteness'
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is accusing the Trump supporters who rioted in the Capitol this week of choosing what she calls “their whiteness" over democracy.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2021-01-09/the-latest-senator-wants-crime-scene-evidence-preserved

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on the fallout of the storming of the Capitol by a mob of pro-Trump loyalists (all times local):

4:20 p.m.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is accusing the Trump supporters who rioted in the Capitol this week of choosing “their whiteness over democracy.”

The California Democrat used an online video meeting with her hometown San Francisco constituents to criticize the overwhelmingly white mob that attacked Congress on Wednesday as it met to formally finalize Joe Biden’s presidential victory.

“It has been an epiphany for the world to see that there are people in our country led by this president, for the moment, who have chosen their whiteness over democracy,” Pelosi said.

4:20 p.m.  :lol:  Clown world, honk honk
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #299 on: January 10, 2021, 10:36:52 AM »
 [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero