Author Topic: It's getting sporty in Washington...  (Read 79162 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Re: It's getting sporty in Washington...
« Reply #550 on: March 15, 2021, 04:35:32 PM »
I try hard to see both sides of an issue.  Things wouldn't be "an issue" if there weren't multiple perspectives.

I have a hard time seeing any balance with how the capitol hill riots are being treated vs the routine riots that have gripped major US cities for the past year.

It's quite clear that legal force being applied much more heavily to protesters/rioters of one particular political ideology vs another.

Message received, 5x5.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #551 on: March 16, 2021, 03:27:37 PM »
On a related note someone asked me what was going on in Taiwan, something about some riots.
What does this have to do with Jan 6th you ask
Typed in "Taiwan riots 2021" in DuckDuckGo and stories about some protests over pork imports into Taiwan came up
Typed in "Taiwan riots 2021" in Google and after three pages of results that only had to do with the Jan 6 "insurrection" I found one on something going on in Taiwan from 2014.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #552 on: March 31, 2021, 04:19:13 PM »
The two men charged in the Officer Sicknick death appear to be getting railroaded by the FBI.

If they don't have any other evidence other than what this article claims, then the two guys are innocent and should walk.

https://www.revolver.news/2021/03/new-york-times-sicknick-video-creates-big-problems-for-capitol-riot-prosecutors/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #553 on: March 31, 2021, 04:55:05 PM »
The two men charged in the Officer Sicknick death appear to be getting railroaded by the FBI.

If they don't have any other evidence other than what this article claims, then the two guys are innocent and should walk.

https://www.revolver.news/2021/03/new-york-times-sicknick-video-creates-big-problems-for-capitol-riot-prosecutors/
Police use "chemical spray" all the time.  If they try to make the case that it is deadly, what does that say about them?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #554 on: March 31, 2021, 05:03:46 PM »
I wish the left would make up it's mind, one moment all police are the racist enforcers of white supremacy and the next they're heroes of the empire.   
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #555 on: March 31, 2021, 05:16:31 PM »

Wow. The was a good read. Especially the details they got into on the imagery. This is looking like two guys who should have been issued a ticket for disturbing the peace are getting basically life in prison. Again, while all of antifa walks free.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

griz

• friend
« Reply #556 on: April 01, 2021, 08:39:30 AM »
Police use "chemical spray" all the time.  If they try to make the case that it is deadly, what does that say about them?

I was thinking the same thing.  It even looks like a can of spray in Officer Sicknick's hand in the view from his body cam.  That doesn't at all mean it was OK to spray him, but I've heard many officers say that when you use OC that it goes everywhere and it's common to get some yourself.  So it brings into question why he would have a tool that might be fatal to himself if that's what killed him.

Why is the second guy, the one who didn't spray the officer, being charged with murder?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #557 on: April 01, 2021, 09:25:07 AM »
I was thinking the same thing.  It even looks like a can of spray in Officer Sicknick's hand in the view from his body cam.  That doesn't at all mean it was OK to spray him, but I've heard many officers say that when you use OC that it goes everywhere and it's common to get some yourself.  So it brings into question why he would have a tool that might be fatal to himself if that's what killed him.

Why is the second guy, the one who didn't spray the officer, being charged with murder?

Because reasons.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #558 on: April 19, 2021, 05:01:14 PM »
While my sympathies still go to his family, Brian Sicknick appears to have died of natural causes:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/04/19/officer-brian-sicknick-found-to-have-died-of-natural-causes-after-the-storming-of-the-capitol-building-no-indications-of-injuries/

The MSM already did their damage though, and I bet a lot of people will still be going to prison because their phone's location feature put them in the wrong place at the wrong time.

EDIT: Before it's mentioned, yes, I'm sure the stress of the situation contributed, even greatly, to the strokes. However, individuals didn't kill him.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #559 on: April 19, 2021, 05:10:56 PM »
Doesn't matter, the narrative has been written
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #560 on: April 19, 2021, 07:17:28 PM »
I wish the left would make up it's mind, one moment all police are the racist enforcers of white supremacy and the next they're heroes of the empire.

Same. Remember how evil it was to criticize the good people investigating President Trump's ties to Russia?

Also, just for fun, remember the bloodbath that ensued when all the white supremacists got together about a week ago?

https://www.businessinsider.com/multiple-cities-preparing-for-white-pride-rallies-over-the-weekend-2021-4?op=1
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 12:53:46 AM by Perd Hapley »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #561 on: April 20, 2021, 08:13:35 AM »
The argument has already been made that when police use a taser, it's non lethal force - but use a taser ON a cop, and that's assault with a deadly weapon. So I expect the same argument from the same people when it comes to pepper spray.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #562 on: April 20, 2021, 10:00:23 AM »
The argument has already been made that when police use a taser, it's non lethal force - but use a taser ON a cop, and that's assault with a deadly weapon. So I expect the same argument from the same people when it comes to pepper spray.

The argument I usually see is that is an attempt to get their gun which is a deadly weapon
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #563 on: April 20, 2021, 10:11:01 AM »
Tasers do kill people on rare occasions.

Overall they reduce deaths by making it less likely a cop will need to resort to a gun.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #564 on: May 01, 2021, 08:13:24 AM »
They sure seem to be going all out to track down that Pelosi laptop "with nothing on it".

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/search-for-pelosis-laptop-leads-feds-to-alaska-and-wrong-home-woman-claims

There was a comment in the comments section about the guy who sat behind Pelosi's desk still being held. Obviously only hearsay, but I'd like to verify that. He was a dummy for doing it, but it didn't deserve being held without bail all this time. Especially, again, when compared to how antifa has been treated in the legal system.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #565 on: May 01, 2021, 10:36:10 AM »
They are still holding a bunch of people with no bail. After all it was the worst attack on democracy since the civil war.  :facepalm:
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #566 on: May 01, 2021, 10:51:04 AM »
They sure seem to be going all out to track down that Pelosi laptop "with nothing on it".

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/search-for-pelosis-laptop-leads-feds-to-alaska-and-wrong-home-woman-claims

I'd gift wrap that thing and mail it to Uncle Vlad, and then make some popcorn.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #567 on: May 01, 2021, 10:59:32 AM »
Dollars to donuts it wasn't a goofy MAGA guy who grabbed it or has it currently.

The whole "insurrection" is sketchy, the narrative surrounding it makes no sense.

I believe nothing about it at all, one way or the other, because the only information available is from government and media sources.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #568 on: May 01, 2021, 07:10:18 PM »
I'd gift wrap that thing and mail it to Uncle Vlad, and then make some popcorn.

Putin?  There wouldn't be any point in doing that.  Russia already knows what they want to know.  Besides, Putin and Clinton are probably friends.

edit:  I wrote Clinton, but meant to write Pelosi.  Same thing really.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 09:53:55 PM by Fly320s »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #569 on: May 01, 2021, 08:21:22 PM »
Putin?  There wouldn't be any point in doing that.  Russia already knows what they want to know.  Besides, Putin and Clinton are probably friends.

Who really knows?  Anything that makes Pelosi twist is fine by me.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #570 on: May 01, 2021, 08:51:24 PM »
Who really knows?  Anything that makes Pelosi twist is fine by me.
Why would that hurt Pelosi?  Give Russia leverage over her maybe, but they wouldn’t be likely to publicize anything unless kicking her to the curb served their needs.  Say to advance an even more extreme candidate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #571 on: June 06, 2021, 11:39:11 AM »
So gov is claiming $1.5 million in damage to the capitol building. This seems a bit inflated. I could see a few hundred thousand, but $1.5 million? They are using that figure to charge all the arrested people for reimbursement.

Which, "Hey, they have insurance!" ( I know they don't - gov is self-insured). The point is that I don't see Portland and other rioters being forced to pay businesses to rebuild. "That's what insurance is for".

More and more, fed.gov is going way too far with 06JAN. They might have gotten away with more subtle retribution, but continuing to hold people without bail, shooting for misdemeanor trespassers to get 60+ year prison sentences, overinflating damages to force restitution, all while lefty protestors are walking around with "get out of jail free" cards. Not to mention Ashli Babbitt.

Maybe it's good they are being so blatant about this stuff.

The breach of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 led to nearly $1.5 million in damage to the building, prosecutors said in one filing, as they said in a separate case they expect to ultimately charge over 550 people in the incident.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Mona Sedky disclosed the damage estimate in a plea agreement this week in the case of Paul Hodgkins, who has agreed to plead guilty to one count of obstructing an official proceeding.

“Your client acknowledges that the riot that occurred on January 6,2021, caused as of May 17, 2021, approximately $1,495,326.55 damage to the United States Capitol,” Sedky wrote.

Hodgkins agreed to pay $2,000 in restitution to the Department of Treasury.

The Architect of the Capitol, Sedky, and the Department of Justice (DOJ) did not return requests for comment on the damage estimate.

A spokeswoman for the architect told the Washington Post that the architect’s office gave assessments of the damage to the DOJ, which used the information to calculate how much each defendant should pay.

Another prosecutor, meanwhile, disclosed that government officials expect that over 550 people will ultimately be charged for participating in the breach.

“The investigation and prosecution of these crimes will likely be one of the largest in American history, both in terms of the number of defendants prosecuted and the nature and volume of the evidence. Over 450 individuals have been charged. The investigation continues and the government expects that at least one hundred additional individuals will be charged,” Amanda Jawad, an assistant U.S. attorney, wrote in a court filing.

More at:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/capitol-breach-caused-nearly-1-5-million-in-damage-prosecutors_3845707.html

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #572 on: June 06, 2021, 02:03:33 PM »
How much of the damage cost is due to the clean up from all the democrats shitting all over themselves in fear?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #573 on: June 06, 2021, 02:21:05 PM »
I agree the number is inflated, without a doubt. These  types of deals always claim as much damage as possible. But 1.5 million is a tiny number. I wouldn't even have a hard time believing there was 1.5million in actual damages. But if the claimed number is only 1.5 million, it means they found practically no damage.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #574 on: June 06, 2021, 03:15:16 PM »
I agree the number is inflated, without a doubt. These  types of deals always claim as much damage as possible. But 1.5 million is a tiny number. I wouldn't even have a hard time believing there was 1.5million in actual damages. But if the claimed number is only 1.5 million, it means they found practically no damage.

If there were real damage, I would have assumed the usual MSM suspects would have had wall to wall video of it. Other than a few broken windows and doors and stuff, I saw nothing that was major damage. I wasn't checking all the news everywhere, but as I said, they were making this into the worst thing in the history of the Earth, so if they had visuals, I'm certain they would have used them heavily.

It also seems to me that most of the people there were looking for someone to yell at, and weren't there to destroy the building they wanted their preferred politicians to occupy.  Nor, given their political backgrounds, would the "rioters" (that weren't inserted lefties) want their tax dollars to go to building reconstruction. That property destruction stuff is generally the purview of the left.