Author Topic: It's getting sporty in Washington...  (Read 79205 times)

fifth_column

• friend
Re: It's getting sporty in Washington...
« Reply #625 on: July 20, 2021, 09:43:55 AM »
Do any of you remember when the building got bombed? I think it was twice. Not by Trump supporters. IIRC Clinton pardoned one.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/07/bomb-explodes-in-us-capitol-nov-7-1983-244578

The article ascribes "retaliation for the recent U.S. military actions in Grenada and Lebanon" as the motive.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #626 on: July 26, 2021, 07:51:52 PM »
You can't make this stuff up but they seem to have no problem in doing so

Thread shows that Black Lives Matter protests weren’t superspreader events, but the Capitol riot was
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/07/26/thread-shows-that-black-lives-matter-protests-werent-superspreader-events-but-the-capitol-riot-was/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #627 on: July 26, 2021, 09:57:41 PM »
I'm sure Representative Scalise still has nightmares about 1/6. Until then, he'd always felt perfectly safe...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #628 on: July 27, 2021, 07:35:10 PM »
Well, the 06JAN "committee" is going about as I'd expect considering who is on it:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/jan-6-commission-hearing-cops-trump-republicans-capitol-attack

I saw one of the committee "republicans" cried during testimony.

In the meantime, contrary to Pelosi's statement, a few things worse than 06JAN:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/07/27/the-violent-domestic-attack-of-january-6-was-not-the-worst-assault-on-the-capitol-since-the-war-of-1812/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #629 on: July 27, 2021, 08:22:09 PM »
Can the Agriculture Commissioner do this?

Florida Democratic official suspends concealed carry permits for 22 people tied to Capitol riot

Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried moved on Tuesday to suspend the concealed carry licenses of 22 people charged in connection to the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol.

“The deeply disturbing events that occurred at our nation’s Capitol on January 6th were sedition, treason, and domestic terrorism – and those individuals involved in the insurrection must be held accountable for attempting to subvert our democratic process,” Fried said in a statement.

Fried’s office did not specify which individuals would have their concealed carry licenses suspended, but so far, dozens of Floridians have been arrested in connection with the riot.

Florida’s Nikki Fried Unilaterally Suspends 22 Florida CCW Licenses Over January 6th Protest
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/floridas-nikki-fried-unilaterally-suspends-22-florida-ccw-licenses-over-january-6th-protest/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #630 on: July 27, 2021, 08:59:45 PM »

Florida’s Nikki Fried Unilaterally Suspends 22 Florida CCW Licenses Over January 6th Protest
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/floridas-nikki-fried-unilaterally-suspends-22-florida-ccw-licenses-over-january-6th-protest/

Charged, not convicted, so the old, "guilty until proven innocent" thing again. Even if guilty, I guess it would depend on Florida law, but can you lose your permit over a trespassing misdemeanor?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #631 on: July 27, 2021, 09:05:59 PM »
Well, the 06JAN "committee" is going about as I'd expect considering who is on it:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/jan-6-commission-hearing-cops-trump-republicans-capitol-attack

I saw one of the committee "republicans" cried during testimony.

I wonder if it's an accident that TWO photos of one of the cops labels him a sergeant in the captions, while buried in the article he is identified (TWICE) as a Private First Class.

Poor Private Dunn. Such unbridled violence!

U.S. Capitol Police (USCP) Private First Class Harry Dunn talked about how the attackers hurled the N-word at him.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

griz

• friend
« Reply #632 on: July 27, 2021, 09:13:48 PM »

I wondered the same thing.  Due process aside, I would have assumed that revocation would be the bailiwick of the issuing authority.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #633 on: July 27, 2021, 09:31:29 PM »
I wondered the same thing.  Due process aside, I would have assumed that revocation would be the bailiwick of the issuing authority.

I don't have a FL non-resident anymore, but IIRC, carry permits are processed through the ag department there.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #634 on: July 27, 2021, 09:45:58 PM »
I don't have a FL non-resident anymore, but IIRC, carry permits are processed through the ag department there.

They are.  Mrs. Fried is the issuing authority for FL CCW permits, so without doing a bunch of digging, I suspect she can suspend them pretty easily given the criminal charges.  If they hold fast, don't plead, and are acquitted, they would likely see their licenses reinstated.

I confess I'm getting pretty sick of folks acting like a riot is the worst thing ever just because they disagree with it.  Not only is it infuriating on soundbites and the internet, the over the top rhetoric breeds the attitude that the next riot might as well actually be an insurrection.  there's nothing to lose.

Gods know what these narcissists would label something like the Whiskey Rebellion or the Bonus Army these days.

griz

• friend
« Reply #635 on: July 27, 2021, 10:36:51 PM »
Ok, thanks for the info.  Kind of silly of me thinking the way the government laid out the system would be logical, I should have known better.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #636 on: July 27, 2021, 10:54:09 PM »
It's because FL treats a CCW like a hunting or fishing license.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #637 on: July 29, 2021, 10:10:56 AM »
A couple of stories:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/politics/capitol-insurrection-guns-stockpile-fired-cop/index.html

Okay, this guy was a knucklehead and should have been laying low (and when will people learn to stay off the social media?). But... "guns bought over the internet", plus all sorts of other stuff that likely isn't true. I'm unsure how much of that is reporting vs authorities manipulating things. Like I see what are very likely dummy grenades in the photo, and am wondering if "bomb making material" is Tannerite or something. Again, guy is a knucklehead, but this illustrates how media manipulation could turn anyone into a terrorist.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/07/26/court-orders-us-capitol-rioter-to-unlock-his-laptop-with-his-face/

They sort of explain why technically it's not self incrimination, but this sure sounds like forced self-incrimination to me.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 12:44:14 PM by Ben »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #638 on: July 29, 2021, 11:01:47 AM »
There is that question on the 4473 asking if you are under indictment.  I guess they are choosing to go after him on that when they won't for others.  Reminds me that I think failure to prosecute others under the same law should be a defense to prosecution. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #639 on: July 29, 2021, 11:04:06 AM »
A couple of stories:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/politics/capitol-insurrection-guns-stockpile-fired-cop/index.html

Okay, this guy was a knucklehead and should have been laying low (and when will people learn to stay off the social media?). But... "guns bought over the internet", plus all sorts of other stuff that likely isn't true. I'm unsure how much of that is reporting vs authorities manipulating things. Like I see what are very likely dummy grenades in the photo, and am wondering if "bomb making material" is Tannerite or something. Again, guy is a knucklehead, but this illustrates how media manipulation could turn anyone into a terrorist.

It's really hard to tell what's going on with this guy.  He may well be a bozo.  However, given CNN's proclivity for piss poor reporting and just making things up rather than writing accurate news stories, I don't put much stock in their "journalism" about this issue.

edited for clarification
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 12:23:08 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #641 on: August 06, 2021, 09:34:24 PM »
Two months in the klink for "unlawful parading", which I guess is some sub-category of "insurrection"? Unlawful parading sounds like something you should get a $50 ticket for. People are going to prison for walking.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/08/06/justice-department-wants-a-2-month-prison-sentence-for-misdemeanor-unlawful-parading/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #643 on: August 10, 2021, 10:54:51 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #645 on: August 19, 2021, 11:07:55 AM »
Hmmm

Police probing report of explosive in truck near Capitol
https://www.wdrb.com/news/national/police-probing-report-of-explosive-in-truck-near-capitol/article_6ef77bd7-4c89-5312-b3d7-bf5b51a5be9c.html

Capitol Police investigating suspicious vehicle near Library of Congress
Police investigating reports of possible explosive inside a truck
https://www.foxnews.com/us/washington-capitol-lockdown-evaucation-suspicious-vehicle
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #646 on: August 19, 2021, 11:11:54 AM »
AOC will be along shortly to tell us the driver wearing a MAGA hat tried to rape her.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #647 on: August 19, 2021, 11:27:39 AM »
The Associated Press reports police are investigating the report of a possible explosive in a pickup truck and that the area was being evacuated. The AP, citing two unnamed law enforcement sources, said a man is in the truck and they are trying to determine whether he is holding a detonator. Police are sending snipers to the scene.
https://wtop.com/dc/2021/08/us-capitol-police-investigating-suspicious-vehicle-near-library-of-congress/
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #648 on: August 19, 2021, 11:28:21 AM »
Washington DC is MAGA country.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #649 on: August 19, 2021, 11:34:46 AM »
Maybe it's Corn Pop

Or an Amazon guy talking on the phone.
- Calvin and Hobbes