Author Topic: Ruminating on anti-gun states and scout rifles  (Read 611 times)

JTHunter

• friends
Re: Ruminating on anti-gun states and scout rifles
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2024, 02:57:44 PM »
I'll be a "third" on the lever gun.  This way, you can have rifle and handgun that use the same ammo, be it .357 or .44.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2024, 03:30:12 PM »
At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards buying a Savage Axis II and building what I want.  I think I can get the rifle I'm imagining for $650-$700 that way and won't have to give up any of the "wants" I'd have to compromise on with a commercial built "Scout Rifle" at over $1k.  Savage Magazine compatibility is the only bummer there, but I'm still looking into that.

I'll be a "third" on the lever gun.  This way, you can have rifle and handgun that use the same ammo, be it .357 or .44.

I don't practice with any of my wheel guns enough for that to be even a little useful in this application, and I can't have a pistol in the truck anyways.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2024, 04:12:42 PM »
Still thinking on this project.

I swung by the LGS at lunch today and put my grubby paws on a couple rifles.  (All they had were right handed bolts) 

I liked the Savage 110 Magpul Hunter (Pretty much what I posted on page 1, but 18" barrel and no iron sites) but it was pretty heavy.  8lbs unloaded, without an optic.  It's also trending a little into "Tactical" precision territory.  They wanted like $850 for one.

I looked at a Ruger American Predator, which was light, but felt noticeably cheaper, both in the action and in the stock. it was only $579, but I'd have to cut and thread the barrel to get the length where I want it.  Any more mods at all really eat into the price savings over a Savage 110. Also the Ruger's mag catch is a chincy plastic POS in an insert screwed into the stock, while by virtue of it's Magpul Stock the Savage's mag catch and well is much nicer.

The Axis II action felt like crap compared to the Ruger American or the 110.  I think that I'd end up hating having gone that cheap on the rifle before too long.

So I probably need to increase my budget if I want any kind of half ass nice bolt action.

Side Note:  The store had a rack of Christenson Arm bolt guns there that were super nice.  Not what I want to pay for what is essentially a whim gun, but super nice firearms.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2024, 11:28:21 AM »
Why not just refuse to vacation behind the lines, and go spend your money in a free state?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2024, 11:44:33 AM »
I don’t know what the prices or availability is these days but a Tikka would get you a detach mag and the best out of the box action and trigger available. T3 lightweight with a lefty bolt might be a consideration.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2024, 12:34:44 PM »
I don’t know what the prices or availability is these days but a Tikka would get you a detach mag and the best out of the box action and trigger available. T3 lightweight with a lefty bolt might be a consideration.

Be sitting down when you price mags. Ask me how I know   :'(
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 03:16:11 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2024, 02:21:22 PM »
Why not just refuse to vacation behind the lines, and go spend your money in a free state?

Aren't you still in Washington?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2024, 03:24:07 PM »

1. sometimes I'm just going through, and the way milage works out need to camp there. Going around adds time and milage I can't fit in every trip.

2. Wife gets a vote where we go, and she's less libertarian than I.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2024, 01:29:56 AM »
Aren't you still in Washington?

Unfortunately. For the first 30 years it was great.

I am not convinced that enough i's can be dotted and t's crossed to be OK in some of the states dogmush mentioned, even if the exact letter of the law is followed. Too many horror stories of people getting caught in the system. The rule of law is rapidly disappearing, usually by the draconian enforcement against the political "others" and outright ignoring the most grievous offenses by the politically protected.
No longer a question of "what", but of "who".