Author Topic: Dune  (Read 18891 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Dune
« Reply #275 on: March 02, 2024, 08:26:42 AM »
I'm going to look into UBlock a bit more, but it looks like a pretty good option. I've noticed AB+ has been less and less effective over the last couple of years.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #276 on: March 03, 2024, 06:58:18 PM »
According to this the first one did $434 million worldwide.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbushard/2024/03/01/dune-part-two-grosses-11-million-in-previews-best-since-barbenheimer/?sh=31403371120e

Compared to what Hollywood usually expects nowadays that not that great for a big budget movie but for a more serious Sci Fi movie pretty good IMHO. These movies are more for those who enjoy hard Sci Fi more than the usual Star Wars type fan and frankly I'm both surprised and happy they were green lit probably knowing full well they weren't going to draw in massive numbers. I find that encouraging in today's Hollywood.
If I recall, the first one was available on streaming either the same day or very soon after the movie release.  That had to hurt. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #277 on: March 04, 2024, 09:06:47 AM »
Yes, it was. Primarily because of Corona.

I guess they figured it was a way to release the movie and capture at least some of the money they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #278 on: March 04, 2024, 09:12:28 AM »
Just remembered another movie that DEMANDED to be seen in the theater...

Prometheus.

Mtnbkr and I saw it when it came out.

Visually stunning movie. Just gorgeous filming and editing.

Story? Not so much. Some of the performances were quite good, but overall it was... lacking.

I was wondering if I was missing something until I realized that Mtnbkr was checking his watch. He wasn't that crazy about it, either.

Fortunately Alien: Covenant then came out (I didn't see it in the theaters) and it was such an incredible shitshow that it made Prometheus look like an Oscars sweep movie.

There's Alien then there's Aliens. After them it seems like as if they had no clue how to make an Alien movie.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #279 on: March 04, 2024, 10:05:15 AM »
There's Alien then there's Aliens. After them it seems like as if they had no clue how to make an Alien movie.
Those two movies were simple stories with teasers of deeper backstories that were left to the imagination.  Sometimes its best to leave it alone in our imagination and not try to explain it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #280 on: March 04, 2024, 10:07:04 AM »

Yep, Aliens 3 went off an incredibly high cliff and augured in at the base in spectacular fashion. It was awful.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #281 on: March 04, 2024, 10:32:34 AM »
Yep, Aliens 3 went off an incredibly high cliff and augured in at the base in spectacular fashion. It was awful.

The director and writers held great potential in their hands and threw it in the trash can. IIRC the director's prior experience was making music videos for MTV.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #282 on: March 04, 2024, 10:43:29 AM »
They should have stuck with either the Horror story or the Bug Hunt story.  They could have done 2 or 3 more movies like that.  Instead they seemed to be trying to some sort of "deep" or meaningful stories. 

A movie showing a group of marines clearing an alien infestation out of a space station would be cool.  There was also a comic or something in the 90's that had aliens infesting Earth.  Not sure if that would play well.  A big part of Aliens was the marines didn't know what they were getting into.  A follow on movie would be marines who knew what to expect.   

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #283 on: March 04, 2024, 10:45:15 AM »
If you think Alien 3 is bad try watching Alien 4. Yes it got worse and they had to work hard to get it there [barf]
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #284 on: March 04, 2024, 10:57:56 AM »
I got about an hour into Alien Resurrection and I couldn't take anymore.

I shut it off, returned the disk to the person I borrowed it from, and vowed never to speak of it again.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #285 on: March 04, 2024, 11:11:30 AM »
I got about an hour into Alien Resurrection and I couldn't take anymore.

I shut it off, returned the disk to the person I borrowed it from, and vowed never to speak of it again.

15 minutes, maybe not even that long, in and you just want everyone in the movie to die and get it over with. Not a single person in that movie you care about including Sigourney Weaver's character
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #286 on: March 04, 2024, 11:24:38 AM »
IMDB ratings
Alien - 8.5
Aliens - 8.4
Alien 3 - 6.4
Alien Resurrection (4) - 6.2

Guess some liked 3 & 4 to keep it that high
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #287 on: March 04, 2024, 02:09:50 PM »
K Frame - I just hit the "stop loading" button on my FF browser and the Forbes page loaded.  Here's part of the article.

Topline
The highly anticipated sequel to Frank Herbert’s epic sci-fi novel, “Dune: Part Two” grossed at least $11 million in previews on Thursday, more than doubling its predecessor and putting it on pace with last summer’s double-barrelled blockbusters “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer.”
Key Facts

The sequel to 2021’s extraterrestrial sci-fi hit “Dune”—which will open in thousands of theaters Friday—has so far made $11 million in previews according to Deadline, while Variety estimates it made roughly $12 million, putting it well above the 2021 iteration’s $5.1 million, and just above Universal’s “Oppenheimer” ($10.5 million in previews) and October’s sleeper hit “Five Nights at Freddy’s” ($10.3 million).

The film trails still “Barbie,” which earned $22.3 million in previews last year.

“Dune: Part Two,” starring Zendaya, Timothée Chalamet, Florence Pugh and Austin Butler, also grossed roughly $2 million in Imax screenings this week, Deadline reported.

The sequel, which cost a reported $190 million to make, still has a long way to go to catch up with the so-called Barbenheimer duo—Warner Bros.’ “Barbie” pulled in $162 million at its domestic opening weekend, while “Oppenheimer” grossed $82.4 million in its U.S. opening weekend.

By comparison, the first “Dune” grossed just over $41 million domestically in its opening weekend, and has since gone on to take in nearly $434 million worldwide, according to data from Box Office Mojo.
What To Watch For

“Dune: Part Two” is projected to rack up a whopping $170 million worldwide in its opening weekend, including $80 million in the U.S. and Canada. If that projection holds up, the sci-fi sequel would be the first to cross the $50 million threshold in its opening weekend since October’s teen horror, “Five Nights at Freddy’s.” Still, it would fall short of “Barbie” and remain roughly on par with ‘Oppenheimer’ in terms of U.S. gross.
Chief Critics

So far, audiences have raved about “Dune: Part Two,” giving it a 95% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, while critics have given mostly favorable ratings, including a 94% critics score on the site. Critics on Metacritic rated the second installment at a score of 79 out of 100. A review in the New York Times described the sequel, from director Denis Villeneuve, as “bigger and more far out” than its predecessor, lauding the “cinematic spectacle” as “alive and rocking” and a “blast.” A review in The Guardian also praises the follow-up as an “extraordinary visual spectacle.”
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #288 on: March 04, 2024, 03:24:58 PM »
My brother-in-law, who shares my love of science fiction, went to see it on Saturday on an Imax screen.  He said it was visually stunning, had a great plot, and should be seen on a big or Imax screen with a good sound system.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #289 on: March 05, 2024, 03:13:58 PM »
More Babylon Bee

Bullies At Work Mercilessly Mock Man Who Hasn't Seen 'Dune: Part Two' Yet
https://babylonbee.com/news/bullies-at-work-mercilessly-mock-man-who-hasnt-seen-dune-part-two-yet
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #290 on: March 09, 2024, 07:36:16 AM »
Seen a couple of clips on YT and I like how they did Stilgar in this. Like that favorite uncle that everyone likes to visit because he makes you laugh but at the same time is someone that in an instant has your back in battle. The actor was a good choice for the part.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 08:04:36 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #291 on: March 09, 2024, 09:21:36 AM »
I enjoyed it very much.  Saw it yesterday on IMAX. 

"Visually stunning" seems like a talking point, but it fits.  I lack a more appropriate description.

Mostly faithful to the original novel, at least from what I remember.  A few lesser points left out, and a few world building elements glossed over that I would have preferred to see given more detail.

Honestly, I was rather impressed with Chalamet.  Then again, he faced the same challenge as Kyle MacLachlan in 1984: most saw him as too soft for the role as well.  Chalamet grew in stature as the film progressed.  I'm sure Villeneuve's cinematography helped greatly with that, but Chalamet did his part.

Go see it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #292 on: March 09, 2024, 10:01:27 AM »
I've just seen the first one, but I agree about Chalamet.  I had thought he didn't look like the part, but I was wrong- he did an excellent job.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #293 on: March 09, 2024, 10:16:49 AM »
I was going to see it in imax in Dallas next week but as far as I can tell there's no theaters actually showing it in real imax.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #294 on: March 09, 2024, 10:21:20 AM »
I, too, was very impressed with the job that Timothy Chalamet did in the role.

I never cared much for Kyle MacLachlan OR Sean Young in the roles as Paul and Channi in the 1984 movie, especially after I finally read the book.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #295 on: March 09, 2024, 10:37:45 AM »
I was originally disappointed in Chalmet as the choice, not because of his acting ability, but because of his stature. I think higher up in this thread, someone made the good argument that he's likely fairly true to what the book expected Paul to be - someone just coming into manhood. And I think he plays this role very well.

I still think they could have bulked him up by ten or so pounds. He doesn't need to be Jack Reacher, but I'm thinking that the women leads outweigh him.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #296 on: March 09, 2024, 11:30:23 AM »
In the novel, Paul starts out as fifteen years of age, and is supposed to be even small for his age.  The actor they chose fits well.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #297 on: March 16, 2024, 12:51:18 PM »
Dune is about climate change......or something

‘Dune’ Is a Climate Story We Can Actually Root For
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2024-03-06/-dune-part-two-is-a-climate-story-we-can-actually-root-for?utm_source=website&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=twitter

Leftist Killjoys Co-Opt 'Dune', Stick Heads Up Own Arrakis Instead
https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2024/03/16/bloomberg-dune-climate-change-story-n2393970

Yes the climate of Arrakis and how it's creature including humans adapted to it is a part of the story but that doesn't make it a climate story.
Guy reminds me of that Family Guy character that thinks Star Trek is about Sulu
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 01:17:09 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes