Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 131451 times)

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #1800 on: October 11, 2022, 06:36:08 PM »
DART declared a success

Nasa's Dart spacecraft 'changed path of asteroid'
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-63221577

Hopefully not into a collision course with Earth.  Unless it was Moscow or DC?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1801 on: October 11, 2022, 06:38:58 PM »
Hopefully not into a collision course with Earth.  Unless it was Moscow or DC?

Moscow. The Russians will then take out DC after blaming us. A win win
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1802 on: October 11, 2022, 08:20:23 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1803 on: October 13, 2022, 11:57:09 AM »
Full stack and tank farm activity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJRzQsLZGg
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1804 on: October 14, 2022, 09:36:10 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #1805 on: October 14, 2022, 01:22:42 PM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1806 on: October 14, 2022, 04:35:52 PM »
SpaceX Crew 4 Splashdown LIVE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPjmtw8j-b4
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1807 on: October 14, 2022, 06:28:01 PM »
Scheduled to go live at 22:45

SpaceX is launching a Falcon 9 carrying the Hotbird-13F satellite. The launch will occur from CCSFS SLC-40 headed to a geostationary transfer orbit. The first stage is B1069-3, which will attempt a landing on drone ship Just Read The Instructions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr69NDrdSfU
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1808 on: October 15, 2022, 07:58:54 AM »
Scheduled to go live at 22:45

SpaceX is launching a Falcon 9 carrying the Hotbird-13F satellite. The launch will occur from CCSFS SLC-40 headed to a geostationary transfer orbit. The first stage is B1069-3, which will attempt a landing on drone ship Just Read The Instructions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr69NDrdSfU

Launch kept getting pushed back and I fell asleep.
But looks like they got it up and down.
Cool engine plume video
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1809 on: October 19, 2022, 08:51:56 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1810 on: October 20, 2022, 08:03:46 AM »
Scheduled for Oct 20, 2022
Falcon 9 is launching the Starlink 4-36 mission with 54 internet satellites onboard. Liftoff is scheduled for 10:50 a.m. ET (14:50 UTC) from SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida.

SpaceX Falcon 9 Launches Starlink 4-36 Mission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8aLGCwrtU8
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1811 on: October 20, 2022, 10:37:09 AM »
And S24 being lifted again
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1812 on: October 21, 2022, 02:55:38 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1813 on: October 21, 2022, 06:34:56 PM »
While I don't care for Russia's politics, I don't like to see anyone's space program stall.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1814 on: October 22, 2022, 02:11:27 PM »
Since Russian rockets are now off limits for launching OneWeb Sats OneWeb has turned to SpaceX and India.

Launch of LVM3-M2/OneWeb India-1 Mission from Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) SHAR, Sriharikota
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dao7OrlESmU

OneWeb satellite constellation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OneWeb_satellite_constellation
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1815 on: October 22, 2022, 02:59:55 PM »
Guy doing the announcements on the intercom sounds like a computer voice from the original Star Trek
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1816 on: October 24, 2022, 06:25:43 PM »
Both ships getting frosty
Cryo test

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1817 on: October 26, 2022, 03:57:58 PM »
Meanwhile down at The Cape

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1818 on: October 26, 2022, 05:18:19 PM »
Earlier cryo tests on B7/S24 got halted because a Tesla and a Dodge truck reportedly totaled each other out on the road. Wreck cleared and testing has resumed.  Reported no one hurt. Wreck is suppose to be visible on one of the base views but I haven't found it yet.

- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1819 on: October 26, 2022, 05:56:41 PM »
Velocity stacks?   ;)

Looks like there's a couple that aren't lined up properly.  Most are covering the entire outlet (?) below them but there are a couple that don't?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1820 on: October 26, 2022, 06:34:22 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1821 on: October 27, 2022, 09:38:35 PM »
SpaceX is targeting Thursday, October 27 for a Falcon 9 launch of 53 Starlink satellites to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 4E (SLC-4E) at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California. The instantaneous launch window is at 6:14 p.m. PT (01:14 UTC on Friday, October 28), and a backup opportunity is available on Friday, October 28 at 5:52 p.m. PT (00:52 UTC on Saturday, October 29).

The first stage booster supporting this mission previously launched Sentinel-6 Michael Freilich, DART, and five Starlink missions. Following stage separation, the first stage will land on the Of Course I Still Love You droneship, which will be stationed in the Pacific Ocean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYtH2khNIgU
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1822 on: October 28, 2022, 12:35:05 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1823 on: October 29, 2022, 08:13:07 AM »
Falcon Heavy launch scheduled for Nov 1st

[popcorn]

Nov. 1Falcon Heavy • USSF 44
Launch time: 1340 GMT (9:40 a.m. EDT)
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
A SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket will launch the USSF 44 mission for the U.S. Space Force. The mission is expected to deploy two spacecraft payloads directly into geosynchronous orbit, one of which is the military’s TETRA 1 microsatellite. The Falcon Heavy’s two side boosters will land at Landing Zone 1 and 2 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, and the core stage will be expended. Delayed from late 2020, 2nd quarter of 2021, July 2021, and October 2021 by payload issues. Delayed from early 2022 and June 2022. Delayed from Oct. 28. [Oct. 27]
https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1824 on: October 31, 2022, 12:18:51 PM »
Starship/SuperHeavy maiden flight scheduled for early December.

https://twitter.com/wapodavenport/status/1587094533136957444?cxt=HHwWiIC-ibaEv4YsAAAA

Granted, this is a NET date.  Could very easily slip a month or two.  But a lot of space fans have been waiting a long time for this.  It'll be very interesting if they change the parameters of the original maiden flight plan.  Originally the intent was to ditch the booster in the Gulf of Mexico doing a simulated catch against a non-existent tower that only exists in the booster's software.  Then the Starship would make a 3/4 pass around the globe and re-enter above the Pacific, also doing a simulated landing over water and being "caught" by another non-existent tower and splashing down in a naval ocean firing range near Hawaii. 

Obviously they only have 1 tower and cannot catch both objects, at least inside of a single orbit.  In theory they could catch the booster about 8 minutes after launch and have Starship in orbit for several hours while they clear the booster off the tower and onto an SPMT, or at least set back onto the launch mount and clear of the chopstick arms, then bring the Starship in for landing.  The problem with that is the fact that the ship would have to transit the western United States during reentry.  The potential for debris on populated areas if there is a breakup is non-negligible. 

They could go for a westbound launch, but that would then be launching over populated areas.  But it would allow for reentry of Starship over the Gulf.  I doubt that the full stack has sufficient fuel to perform a LEO insertion with a westbound launch though.  Maybe with no payload it could.  Still, it puts the booster's flight profile over Mexico or the western US, along with a boost-back to Boca.

I think they're eager to test booster recovery, and reluctant to throw 39 Raptor engines into the ocean.  Bringing the booster back from an eastbound launch is relatively risk-free to the public, and should be fairly straightforward for their already established software for Falcon recovery.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!