Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 126820 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 04:37:39 PM »
Three in one day
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2021, 09:08:44 AM »
Two of the Raptors needed to swapped out.
At 8:07 you can see the new launch pad being built

SpaceX Boca Chica - Starship SN9 undergoing Raptor Replacement Tasks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89h2JHmMOIs

0:00 - Date Title
0:47 - SN9 Sunrise
2:43 - Crews Move a Container
3:17 - SN10 in the High Bay
3:51 - Work Continues on the New 3mm Test Tank
4:26 - Work Continues at the Orbital Launch Site
7:21 - Starship SN9 on Suborbital Pad B
8:07 - The Orbital Launch Pad
9:15 - SpaceX Removes Raptor 44
9:50 - Starship Suborbital Launch Pad
10:33 - Raptor SN44 Lowered from Starship Aft Section
12:36 - Two Ring Section Moved
14:07 - Raptor SN44 Brought Back to the Production Site
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2021, 04:52:38 PM »
Watch NASA fire up SLS for the first time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKdkRLpAOvo

LIVE: SLS Green Run Hot Fire Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1bkX9f52NI
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2021, 05:54:06 PM »
Early shutdown from a gimballing anomaly.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2021, 05:57:19 PM »
Early shutdown from a gimballing anomaly.

Yep, and they said it may take weeks to recycle
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2021, 06:01:18 PM »
Yep, and they said it may take weeks to recycle

*eyeroll*  Meanwhile at SpaceX, next day recycle of an abort with three test bursts.

The NASA drone they had kept repeating data, so much data, gotta dig through the data.  I lost IQ points listening to that inane drivel.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2021, 06:17:55 PM »
By the time NASA gets back to the moon SpaceX will be on Mars.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2021, 06:25:16 PM »
Looking on wikipedia, yeah I know it's wikipedia, and comparing the Raptor to the RS-25 on the SLS

Almost the same max thrust (R 500,000lb vs  RS-25 512,300lbs)
Raptor is smaller
Raptor is less than half the weight
Raptor has a far higher thrust to weight ratio (200.1 vs 73.1) Like WOW at the difference
Raptor uses liquid methane vs liquid H (both use liquid O as the oxidizer)
Raptor can be relite in flight multiple times

Only real advantage I see RS-25 has over Raptor is that it's a proven design (having been used on the Shuttle) while Raptor is still technically in development. Which begs the question. Why the heck is it taking so long to get SLS flying???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_Raptor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-25
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2021, 06:38:03 PM »
Looking on wikipedia, yeah I know it's wikipedia, and comparing the Raptor to the RS-25 on the SLS

Raptor is smaller
Raptor has a far higher thrust to weight ratio (200.1 vs 73.1) Like WOW at the difference

Only real advantage I see RS-25 has over Raptor is that it's a proven design (having been used on the Shuttle) while Raptor is still technically in development. Which begs the question. Why the heck is it taking so long to get SLS flying???

NASA's mission since the 70's has been to keep Americans out of space and to funnel money to select industry corporations.  I wish I was joking.  Musk is doing an independent end run around NASA and BoeLockMart.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2021, 09:00:43 AM »
By the time NASA gets back to the moon SpaceX will be on Mars running at Warp 5.

FTFY

It is my opinion that NASA will never get back to the moon. Their mission budget will be slashed during the Harris/Biden administration and their focus will likely be redirected back toward muslim outreach and social justice issues.
As for SpaceX and friends, I would be surprised if the regulatory burden isn't magnified beyond financial feasibility and they take their toys to another country.
We just can't afford to be sending all that money up in smoke going into space when there are so many social justice programs here that need the money.
 :'(
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2021, 09:07:22 AM »
FTFY

It is my opinion that NASA will never get back to the moon. Their mission budget will be slashed during the Harris/Biden administration and their focus will likely be redirected back toward muslim outreach and social justice issues.
As for SpaceX and friends, I would be surprised if the regulatory burden isn't magnified beyond financial feasibility and they take their toys to another country.
We just can't afford to be sending all that money up in smoke going into space when there are so many social justice programs here that need the money.
 :'(

Pretty much this, though I think the impact on SpaceX will be slower in coming.  I believe it will take a few years for Musk to realize that the USA federal government doesn't want him around anymore.
NASA should just start mothballing permanently scrapping their manned programs now.  They should just concentrate on their unmanned projects and Muslim outreach.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2021, 10:39:24 AM »

Raptor is smaller

If you replaced the 4 RS-25's on the SLS with 7 Raptors in a circle (similar to the New Glenn BE-4 engine config), you could truncate the first stage of SLS by a considerable amount since hydrogen requires so much damn volume compared to methane.  This winds up reducing the dry mass of the entire stack and you can possibly even get rid of the solids on the side.

Hydrogen is a *expletive deleted*it propellant to use for sea level booster operations.  Great ISP but terrible thrust, and volume to contain the necessary hydrogen results in excessive dry mass.  Methane is better but not great, RP-1 generates more thrust than either.  Sadly, hypergolics and solid rocket motors generate the best sea level thrust.

SLS with a fat array of Merlin 1-D engines running RP-1 would be even better than a Raptor conversion.

I really don't grok the love for the RS-25 out there.  The damn things need complete rebuilding from hydrogen embrittlement after every Shuttle flight.  Might as well throw them away.  And the low thrust of them mandates the need for AsplodeyBois on the side, which killed 7 people on Challenger.  SLS still hasn't learned from those lessons, other than putting the capsule on top.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2021, 01:16:27 PM »
Watch SpaceX Static Fire Starship SN9! [TIME SUBJECT TO CHANGE]
•Scheduled for Jan 19, 2021 (4:00 I think)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqkE8Q5e2d8
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2021, 04:26:28 PM »
Waiting on a static fire test and some guy towing a boat just drove pass SN9 while it was being fueled. Police having a talk with the driver.

LIVE: Starship SN9 Static Fire Attempt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHIcC4TI8A8
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2021, 04:31:08 PM »
Everyone was expecting an abort but it's not like they can defuel that thing in a few seconds
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2021, 05:09:30 PM »
Maybe they did abort, appear to be recycling.
Some are saying they may have missed the guy when they cleared the beach area.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2021, 05:21:39 PM »
Well if he had a trump flag on the boat they probably should close down the whole state just to be sure.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2021, 05:00:13 PM »
Statics fires got canned yesterday for whatever reason that only SpaceX knows so they're going to try today.

If you happen to click on the link right now you can't see anything and I mean nothing thanks to a Pea Soup fog. Solid zero visibility

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bIfzJqAtjE
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2021, 05:05:09 PM »
Oh wait, I can see......something.

And it's gone.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2021, 05:54:00 PM »
Short static fire. Sounded weird but that could be due to the fog
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2021, 08:01:36 PM »
Short static fire. Sounded weird but that could be due to the fog

Flaming fart in a fogbank.  =D

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2021, 09:38:10 AM »
Boeing software issues
Shades of 737Max
Maybe

SLS Green Run Update! Why the latest news could be VERY bad for NASA and Artemis. EXTREME RANT!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjVt8l3h4bY
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2021, 10:21:53 AM »
More static fire testing

Live feed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgwQSslNzRg
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2021, 11:06:58 AM »
More static fire testing

Live feed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgwQSslNzRg

It appears to have been successful this time.  Good job, SpaceX!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2021, 09:22:03 AM »
T-00:40:00 at time of posting

Lots and lots of Starlinks

LIVE: SpaceX launches a record 143 satellites on Transporter-1 mission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXcnyGHL8Vg
- Calvin and Hobbes