Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 125681 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #200 on: February 05, 2021, 05:05:12 PM »
Worth remembering that this video is only three years old:

https://youtu.be/bvim4rsNHkQ

Sticky throttle valve has a wonderfully comedic delay as it tips over and boom.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #201 on: February 05, 2021, 10:06:42 PM »
SpaceX Boca Chica: Raptor SN50 Delivered to the Launch Site - SN11 Rolled into the High Bay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-o01rsgQAw
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #202 on: February 05, 2021, 10:36:01 PM »
Yep
I need to remember to look up how many rockets NASA has had go boom just on the way up.

SN10 is getting it's Raptors installed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z72Au8Px7mM

Talley up how many astronauts they've killed as well. Particularly note the ones they sacrificed on the alter political correctness.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #203 on: February 06, 2021, 01:44:43 AM »
Talley up how many astronauts they've killed as well. Particularly note the ones they sacrificed on the alter political correctness.

Exactly three with experimental stuff spacecraft and/or rockets.  The capsule for Apollo 1 was still in R&D.

Thirteen (?) with a flawed production design.

Untold number in accidents ground side.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #204 on: February 06, 2021, 08:54:40 PM »
LOL

Starship SN11 is making a run for it into the high bay. FireRocketFire
@NASASpaceflight
https://twitter.com/BocaChicaGal/status/1357735715505897474
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #205 on: February 07, 2021, 01:32:43 AM »
LOL
https://twitter.com/BocaChicaGal/status/1357735715505897474

Highbay ain't gonna save SN Eleven.  Nine already tried tried that, even tried grabbing the wall.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 02:09:20 PM by kgbsquirrel »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #206 on: February 08, 2021, 10:23:37 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #207 on: February 08, 2021, 10:41:30 AM »
SPadre
@SpacePadreIsle
·
40m
Road closure today likely for cryo on Starship SN10, with additional closures Wed-Fri for static fire. Weather deteriorates by Thursday with a cold front. Launch date unknown, determined after successful static fire.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2021, 03:35:10 PM »
LIVE: Starship SN10 Cryogenic Proof Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01j90yvN_tA
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2021, 03:59:17 PM »
Hmmmm
Friday maybe?

Altitude: From the surface up to Unlimited
Effective Date(s):
From February 12, 2021 at 1400 UTC
To February 13, 2021 at 0030 UTC
https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_1_2084.html

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #210 on: February 10, 2021, 10:51:40 AM »
SpaceX gets picked to launch the first two elements of the Lunar Gateway

NASA has selected Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) of Hawthorne, California, to provide launch services for the agency’s Power and Propulsion Element (PPE) and Habitation and Logistics Outpost (HALO), the foundational elements of the Gateway. As the first long-term orbiting outpost around the Moon, the Gateway is critical to supporting sustainable astronauts missions under the agency’s Artemis program.

After integration on Earth, the PPE and HALO are targeted to launch together no earlier than May 2024 on a Falcon Heavy rocket from Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The total cost to NASA is approximately $331.8 million, including the launch service and other mission-related costs.
NASA Awards Contract to Launch Initial Elements for Lunar Outpost
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-awards-contract-to-launch-initial-elements-for-lunar-outpost
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #211 on: February 10, 2021, 10:57:32 AM »
I figured Biden would have canceled that by now.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #212 on: February 10, 2021, 11:31:04 AM »

He hasn't finished shredding the Constitution by way of executive order yet. He'll get around to returning NASA to it's proper role of perpetuating climate and social justice next.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #213 on: February 10, 2021, 11:33:28 AM »

Be patient.  His team has already signaled that they intend to shut down the Artemis program.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2021, 09:17:15 PM »
Mary
@BocaChicaGal
·
1h
An ‘Alert’ notice has been delivered and a road closure has been scheduled for tomorrow Thursday February 11 from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. Starship SN10 testing resumes with potentially a static fire test of its three Raptor engines. 🔥🔥🔥
@NASASpaceflight
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #215 on: February 10, 2021, 09:18:08 PM »
Everyday Astronaut
@Erdayastronaut
·
Feb 9
Fun fact about #Starship. By doing the flip around 500m vs higher up like 2,000m, the difference in delta V is ~ 500 m/s! That's a 20 tonne fuel saving, which means basically 20 tonnes MORE you can put into orbit. That's more than a F9 has ever launched, just by flipping later!
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2021, 10:03:35 PM »

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #217 on: February 10, 2021, 10:13:36 PM »
Fun fact about #Starship. By doing the flip around 500m vs higher up like 2,000m, the difference in delta V is ~ 500 m/s! That's a 20 tonne fuel saving, which means basically 20 tonnes MORE you can put into orbit. That's more than a F9 has ever launched, just by flipping later!

Except it's crashed every time thus far.

A single Raptor puts out 2200kN of thrust at full throttle.  That's enough thrust to provide a greater than 2:1 thrust to weight ratio of a dry Starship at 100 tons.  Granted, a dry Starship has no fuel to put through said Raptor, and the engine reportedly burns about 600kg of propellant/oxidizer per second.  The current maneuver at 500 meters needs 20 to 24 tons of fuel/ox to accomplish its goal when landing on 2 engines and performing the entire maneuver in a 20 second window.

Every ten seconds added to the burn is an additional 12 tons of fuel for 2 engines, or 6 tons for a single engine.

Starship's terminal velocity in belly flop orientation is about 100 meters/sec.  Starting the burn on a single engine at 2000 meters and initiating the orientation change more slowly on a single engine will cost 15-20 seconds of additional burn time.  As the engine gimbals to face downwards, it slows descent of the craft so that it is in air that much longer and needs that much more fuel to avoid falling out of the sky.

That single Raptor, working with 40 tons of fuel and a 100 ton Starship, has a TWR of 1.57.  It's going to cancel out 5.7 meters/sec of downward velocity, and that number is going to climb every second since the ship gets lighter from burnt fuel.  It'll take 17 seconds to cancel out vertical velocity this way, or about 10.2 tons of fuel.  That 17 seconds offers lots of opportunity to assess engine health, and possibly spool the remaining engine(s) for an alternate landing solution.

Two Raptors have a TWR of 3.54 (100 ton craft and 24 tons fuel).  Every second that two Raptors fire, they cancel out 25.4 meters/sec of downward velocity, and that number climbs every second as the ship gets lighter.  Obviously takes a lot less time to hit 0 m/s from 100 m/s this way (4 seconds, or about 5 tons of fuel).  But there's no margin for error.

Right now their whole landing maneuver is a sub-20 second burn, with flip.  Musk's big talking point on this was redundancy when it comes to human rating this thing.  When you need two engines for the TWR of the finished craft loaded with cargo, and you don't have time in your flight profile to spool the 3rd engine at some point in the landing approach, then you don't have redundancy.

I think paying the 10-20 tons of additional fuel penalty for the additional landing contingencies that a higher flip provides is worth it.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #218 on: February 10, 2021, 10:32:27 PM »
Chris Edwards
@its_a_me_chris
·
16h
Replying to
@Erdayastronaut
Another fun fact is that you can get even more into orbit by just crashing it
Tip

:rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #219 on: February 11, 2021, 04:08:31 AM »
Except it's crashed every time thus far.

And so what?  It is an experimental testbed that hasn't event reached full prototype.  Exploding is expected!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #220 on: February 11, 2021, 09:29:56 AM »
For your rocket exploding viewing pleasure

Rocket Launch Failures and Explosions Compilation (2016-1942)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z99pGVDZhaY

AMAZING Space Rocket Explosions & Failures [HD]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI-f_M9aEck
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 02:17:47 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #221 on: February 11, 2021, 02:20:00 PM »
Looks like mother nature is getting a bit silly in southern Texas over the weekend.
Wind is playing havoc with the cameras. They may try a static fire today but if the winds don't let up I highly doubt they'll be doing any flying tomorrow

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 02:35:09 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2021, 03:54:20 PM »
That is the same temp they are expected here at work Tuesday morning.  We just had a meeting talking about it.  Plus, natural gas prices spiked on the daily rate which has management looking at efficiencies and alternatives.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2021, 04:55:16 PM »
Wish it was going to be that warm here.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2021, 05:33:45 PM »
Cams show the weather sucks there now with rain and high winds. Doubt anything is going to happen until after the week end.
- Calvin and Hobbes