Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 127079 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #450 on: April 07, 2021, 12:45:27 PM »
Aced the launch, aced the landing. Fantastic video from the 1st stage as it was landing on the ship
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #451 on: April 08, 2021, 09:28:15 AM »
Aced the launch, aced the landing. Fantastic video from the 1st stage as it was landing on the ship

I saw that, it was awesome.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #452 on: April 08, 2021, 01:17:27 PM »
SN15 rolling down the highway
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #453 on: April 08, 2021, 02:39:20 PM »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #454 on: April 08, 2021, 05:14:03 PM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #455 on: April 08, 2021, 07:47:32 PM »
Completely fogged in again. Someone better keep Elon away from the launch button.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #456 on: April 09, 2021, 03:02:26 PM »
TankWatchers
@WatchersTank
Police cars revolving lightSUPER HEAVY LAUNCH & CATCH TOWER!

A new FAA filling confirms that SpaceX is planning to build a Launch/Catch tower for Super Heavy Booster, the tower will be located at SpaceX's Boca Chica Launch site.
https://twitter.com/WatchersTank/status/1380250360011440128/photo/1

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #457 on: April 13, 2021, 01:45:52 PM »
This cool as ______

Hundreds of drones were launched in the night sky in the city of Veliky Novgorod in Russia to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's journey to space
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1381698639588823040
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #458 on: April 13, 2021, 03:17:09 PM »
Wow. Drone swarm software is really impressive.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #459 on: April 13, 2021, 04:19:09 PM »
Wow. Drone swarm software is really impressive.
Yeah, it really is.  I bet we'll start seeing those in place of and alongside fireworks shows more and more.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #460 on: April 13, 2021, 09:38:26 PM »
Yeah but that is a bad place to "shoot" from because of angles and atmospheric attenuation. 

Is "shoot" the wrong word for lasers? It works for arrows and bullets...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #461 on: April 14, 2021, 05:03:22 AM »

Is "shoot" the wrong word for lasers? It works for arrows and bullets...

You are throwing a lot of photons, so why not?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #462 on: April 15, 2021, 10:48:26 AM »
Elon Musk
@elonmusk
·
8h
Aiming to launch next week
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #463 on: April 16, 2021, 04:54:15 PM »
SpaceX
@SpaceX
·
5m
NASA has selected Starship to land the first astronauts on the lunar surface since the Apollo program! We are humbled to help
@NASAArtemis
 usher in a new era of human space exploration → http://go.nasa.gov/3tur510
https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1383160370248896512?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Eembeddedtimeline%7Ctwterm%5Eprofile%3ASpaceX%7Ctwgr%5EeyJ0ZndfZXhwZXJpbWVudHNfY29va2llX2V4cGlyYXRpb24iOnsiYnVja2V0IjoxMjA5NjAwLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X2hvcml6b25fdHdlZXRfZW1iZWRfOTU1NSI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJodGUiLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfX0%3D%7Ctwcon%5Etimelinechrome&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.starshipstalker.com%2F

Michael Baylor
@nextspaceflight
·
56m
Official: SpaceX's Starship is the only vehicle selected to move forward as the Human Landing System for NASA's Artemis program, beating out Blue Origin and Dynetics.

Starship will attempt to land the first humans on the Moon since 1972.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #464 on: April 16, 2021, 04:55:05 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #465 on: April 19, 2021, 11:10:30 AM »
It flies!

NASA’s Ingenuity Mars Helicopter Succeeds in Historic First Flight
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasas-ingenuity-mars-helicopter-succeeds-in-historic-first-flight

- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #466 on: April 19, 2021, 11:43:08 AM »
It flies!

NASA’s Ingenuity Mars Helicopter Succeeds in Historic First Flight
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasas-ingenuity-mars-helicopter-succeeds-in-historic-first-flight
That is really cool.
The small rotorcraft made history, hovering above Jezero Crater, demonstrating that powered, controlled flight on another planet is possible.
Was there some thought the laws of physics were different on another planet?  Poor word choice.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #467 on: April 19, 2021, 12:01:00 PM »
That is really cool.Was there some thought the laws of physics were different on another planet?  Poor word choice.

Yeah. Of course it's "possible".

More like the "Challenge of controlled flight with an autonomous vehicle with umpteen minutes of light-lag, in an incredibly thin atmosphere."

Flying on Mars will probably always be second fiddle to rovers, aside from small side missions to look at inaccessible places like cliff sides or something. Due to the thin atmosphere and high RPM's needed it'll drain even the best battery tech fast, and create short flight with a long recharge time.

I suspect that NAA is really thinking about this with an eye towards Saturn's moon Titan, where the gravity is lower, but the atmosphere is thicker than Earth's. And the atmosphere is actually useable as fuel. You just need to carry oxygen, which could be gotten pretty easily from the water ice "rocks" laying around. Or possibly the low gravity and high lift from the environment makes nuclear powered flight possible. RTG's should work really well on Titan, because the "cold side" would be really cold and have the benefit of radiative, and conduction/convection cooling to create a nice thermoelectric gradient due to the atmosphere. Or maybe run a Sterling generator. (Need Birdman!)

IIRC, if your space-suit was light enough, and with some extra fabric and struts, I think it's even possible for a human to fly on Titan by flapping their arms due to the low gravity and thick atmosphere.
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #468 on: April 19, 2021, 01:20:00 PM »
SpaceX won the bid for the NASA Human Landing System for the Artemis missions.  Right now they're the sole source provider for a landing craft to ferry humans from the "Lunar Gateway" space station to the moon's surface.

Blue Origin and Lockheed Martin are very frustrated by this, there are hints of legal challenges and back room lobbying to come.

But the selection of a Starship variant craft as the HLS winner is cataclysmic to OldSpace.  The shock waves will take several years to subside.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #469 on: April 19, 2021, 03:46:52 PM »
Nice to dream about but it's pie in the sky, not like any of it will ever happen.
The funding will be stripped for "more important" things like welfare and slavery *reparations.

*damn you autocorrect.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:00:31 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #470 on: April 19, 2021, 03:53:51 PM »
slavery preparations.
It may be a typo but it is not wrong.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #471 on: April 19, 2021, 06:00:19 PM »

Yeah.  :'(

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #472 on: April 19, 2021, 09:47:41 PM »
Nice to dream about but it's pie in the sky, not like any of it will ever happen.
The funding will be stripped for "more important" things like welfare and slavery *reparations.

*damn you autocorrect.

And that's how autocorrect takes an uplifting thread and plunges it into the depths of despair.

Piece of Wright brothers' 1st plane now on Mars

https://www.livescience.com/wright-brothers-airplane-nasa-mars.html

I heard about that on the radio this afternoon.  Thought it was pretty cool, and am glad someone thought to put it there.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #473 on: April 20, 2021, 10:18:32 AM »

*damn you autocorrect.

That's why we have so much hope for SpaceX. With projects like Starlink, they're creating their own demand for services, even if NASA gets re-tasked with teaching gender studies to whales or something.
I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #474 on: April 20, 2021, 12:47:41 PM »
Do you actually think the government will allow the US private sector to continue in space in competition with CCP? They will be regulated and taxed out of the game.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams