Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 126945 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #825 on: August 29, 2021, 04:10:34 PM »
This photo illustrates my biggest concern about launching super heavy at Boca Chica. If that thing goes boom there's going to be lot of broken glass and the very high probability of people being injured. Heaven forbid that thing veers off in that direction.

meh.  SpaceX's launch site is [checks google maps] 4.99 miles from South Padre Island.  Several of the launch complex's at Canaveral are closer to Port Canaveral than that, and the town of Port Canaveral is pretty packed.  I think NASA has mostly moved to launch sites farther north these days but there are certainly launch pads built closer to people than 5 miles.

Vandenburg's launchpads are closer to Dependa housing then SpaceX is to SOuth Padre.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #826 on: August 30, 2021, 09:20:53 AM »
Super is 2x more powerful than anything ever launch at the Cape and you also have to add the Starship sitting on top into the mix
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #827 on: August 30, 2021, 09:21:45 AM »
LIVE: SpaceX Cargo Dragon CRS-23 arrives at the ISS (30 Aug 2021)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjIdYm67vd4
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #828 on: August 30, 2021, 10:47:44 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #830 on: September 01, 2021, 01:40:29 PM »
Super is 2x more powerful than anything ever launch at the Cape and you also have to add the Starship sitting on top into the mix

Except oxidizer and fuel are kept in separate tanks.  The realistic explosive yield of a full Starship/Booster stack is far lower than even one of the Shuttle/SLS boosters.

A failure of Starship will look more like SpaceX's AMOS-6 conflagration/explosion than Challenger's explosion.  A waterfall of fire, more than a high energy event.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #831 on: September 02, 2021, 08:02:48 PM »
Watch Firefly launch their FIRST EVER orbital rocket, Alpha!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HfHAazNM3Q

We will go live at T-60 minutes, so you can use the YouTube notification to know they are 60 minutes from launch] Also stay tuned to our twitter feeds for additional updates - http://twitter.com/erdayastronaut

Firefly Aerospace is the next private rocket company that aims to achieve orbit with its brand new Alpha launch vehicle. Alpha will lift off from Vandenberg Space Force Base, USA, and targets a 300 km low Earth orbit (LEO) in which it will deploy multiple payloads. On board of the FLTA001 DREAM mission will be Firefly’s DREAM payloads, which consist of technical and non-technical payloads, ranging from CubeSats and DNA samples, to pictures of loved ones.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #832 on: September 02, 2021, 10:02:18 PM »
Boom
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #833 on: September 02, 2021, 10:26:37 PM »
What a shame.  At least they got it through Max-Q before it went boom.  Not bad for the first attempt to fly the vehicle.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #834 on: September 03, 2021, 01:14:29 AM »
Amazing first try!  So many don't event get off the pad before boom.  Looks like this one had a failure causing a major maneuver deviation and the flight termination system (self destruct) was activated.

Range Safety function check: works!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #835 on: September 03, 2021, 05:57:58 AM »
First launch attempt and they had payload onboard?

I hope the customers got a huge discount and insurance policy.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #836 on: September 03, 2021, 07:50:01 AM »
Much better video. Couldn't tell much from the live feed last night.
Rocket started tumbling end over end.

Firefly Alpha Rocket Explodes In Flight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NisZvIs4SKk
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #837 on: September 03, 2021, 07:52:11 AM »
First launch attempt and they had payload onboard?

I hope the customers got a huge discount and insurance policy.

Go down to payloads

Firefly Aerospace’s maiden flight of Alpha launch vehicle ends in failure
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2021/09/firefly-maiden-flight-alpha/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #838 on: September 03, 2021, 08:19:03 AM »
Ah, they weren't payloads, they were freeloads.   =D

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #839 on: September 03, 2021, 11:41:45 AM »
Anomaly = boom.

I like that.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #840 on: September 03, 2021, 03:18:50 PM »
Herrrrrre's Scott Manley
Appears to be engine failure

Reaver Causes Destruction of FireFly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erXrnvyuhJs
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #841 on: September 03, 2021, 06:56:32 PM »
They'll do that.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #842 on: September 08, 2021, 11:00:38 AM »
LIVE: Super Heavy Booster 4 Lifted to Orbital Launch Mount
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS9MTbrelHM
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #843 on: September 15, 2021, 05:31:07 PM »
LIVE: SpaceX Inspiration4 Launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuNLtRR1heU

Falcon 9 is launching Inspiration4, the first all-private crewed mission to orbit. The five-hour launch window opens at 8:02 p.m. Eastern (00:02 UTC) from LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida. The mission is a fundraiser for St. Judes Children's Research Hospital. In the spirit of the mission, NASASpaceflight is running a YouTube fundraiser during our launch livestream.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #844 on: September 15, 2021, 07:58:34 PM »
T- 5 minutes
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #845 on: September 15, 2021, 09:28:39 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #846 on: September 15, 2021, 09:30:11 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #847 on: September 18, 2021, 06:34:38 PM »
LIVE: Dragon Splashdown of Inspiration 4 SpaceX Mission with 4 Private Astronauts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3fs5SNRWU
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #848 on: September 18, 2021, 07:11:00 PM »
Inspiration 4 crew is down safe.  Recovery crews approaching.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #849 on: September 18, 2021, 09:58:22 PM »
Three days sure goes by fast.