Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 127018 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #900 on: November 12, 2021, 01:22:23 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #901 on: November 13, 2021, 08:11:43 AM »
This morning while I was still Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Falcon 9 Launch of 53 Starlink Satellites
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6fRtpxwO6U

Looks like another good launch and landing of the booster
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #903 on: November 13, 2021, 08:24:53 AM »
9th flight for the booster.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #904 on: November 13, 2021, 10:32:20 AM »
9th flight for the booster.

Does anyone know the design life of the boosters? Or is the plan to continue refurbishment for a new launch until it breaks?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #905 on: November 13, 2021, 05:54:24 PM »
Does anyone know the design life of the boosters? Or is the plan to continue refurbishment for a new launch until it breaks?

Quote from Wikipedia:
SpaceX intentionally limited Block 3 and Block 4 boosters to flying only two missions each,[1][2] but the company indicated in 2018 that they expected the Block 5 versions to achieve 10 flights, each with only minor refurbishment.[3]

And:

While Block 4 boosters were only flown twice and required several months of refurbishment, Block 5 versions are designed to sustain 10 flights with just some inspections.[3]

I do have a vague recollection that SpaceX is looking at flying the current Block 5 boosters beyond ten missions, but I don't recall the number they were shooting for before retirement of an individual booster.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #906 on: November 14, 2021, 05:09:49 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #907 on: November 14, 2021, 05:46:53 PM »
^^^
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #910 on: November 15, 2021, 03:19:33 PM »
Oh good blank grief

A Russian satellite broke up in low Earth orbit in a deliberate test of a Russian antisatellite device that created thousands of pieces of debris.

The satellite, Cosmos-1408, appears to have broken up late Nov. 14 or early Nov. 15 Eastern time, based on commercial and government tracking data. The satellite, weighing about 2,000 kilograms, was launched in 1982 and, now defunct, was last tracked in an orbit about 485 kilometers high.

Early Nov. 15, the seven people on the ISS were instructed to shelter in their Crew Dragon and Soyuz vehicles because of a “debris cloud.” That debris cloud has since made several other close approaches to the station, although no damage was reported. The station’s crew resumed some operations later in the day although parts of the station remain sealed off as a precaution against any impacts.

Russia destroys satellite in ASAT test
https://spacenews.com/russia-destroys-satellite-in-asat-test/

Satellite debris forces space station crew to take shelter; U.S. blames "reckless" Russian missile test
\https://www.cbsnews.com/news/satellite-debris-space-station-crew-take-shelter/
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #911 on: November 15, 2021, 03:23:35 PM »
Musk needs to start a side business doing low Earth orbit clean up. Sell the collected debris back to the country of origin and use the profit to fund the operation. I'd bet there would also be a good collector market for a while as well.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #912 on: November 15, 2021, 03:34:07 PM »
Musk needs to start a side business doing low Earth orbit clean up. Sell the collected debris back to the country of origin and use the profit to fund the operation. I'd bet there would also be a good collector market for a while as well.

Some companies are doing some testing on that very thing.

New Effort To Clean Up Space Junk Reaches Orbit
https://www.npr.org/2021/03/21/979815691/new-effort-to-clean-up-space-junk-prepares-to-launch
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #913 on: November 15, 2021, 09:29:53 PM »
LIVE: Vega VV20 launches 3 CERES satellites
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWsRUVSjnnU

Launch time: 4:27 am EST (09:27 GMT)
Launch site: ZLV, Kourou, French Guiana
Destination: Low Earth Orbit
An Arianespace Vega rocket, designated VV20, will launch three CERES signals intelligence satellites for the French military. The three small satellites were built by Airbus Defense and Space and Thales Alenia Space. Delayed from Nov 15.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #914 on: November 16, 2021, 12:33:47 PM »
^^^^
Solid rocket. It was like "And I'm outta here!"
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #915 on: November 16, 2021, 12:35:13 PM »
Thanks Russia

In addition to the 1,500 trackable fragments generated by the test, the event also created hundreds of thousands of smaller pieces that are invisible to Earth-based observers, the U.S. Space Command (USSC), which is responsible for military operations in outer space, said in a statement.

"USSPACECOM's initial assessment is that the debris will remain in orbit for years and potentially for decades, posing a significant risk to the crew on the International Space Station and other human spaceflight activities, as well as multiple countries' satellites," USSPACECOM said in the statement.

In fact, about half of the fragments might fall to Earth "within the next couple of years" but the remainder might remain hurtling through space for "more than a decade," Hugh Lewis, head of the Astronautics Research Group at the University of Southampton, the U.K., and Europe's leading space debris expert told Space.com.

Space debris from Russian anti-satellite test will be a safety threat for years
By Tereza Pultarova about 1 hour ago
The cloud of debris will increase the number of avoidance maneuvers performed by satellite operators all over the world by more than 100% in the next few years.
https://www.space.com/russia-anti-satellite-test-space-debris-threat-for-years
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #916 on: November 16, 2021, 12:42:51 PM »
There are those who have been saying an event like the above could start a chain reaction that could put LEO off limits for decades
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #917 on: November 16, 2021, 01:05:26 PM »
I don't know that I can get pissed at Russia over that, since it's something I could easily see our military doing, at which point they would defend it as important and safe. The ruskies just did it first.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #918 on: November 17, 2021, 08:18:56 PM »
LIVE: Electron launches "Love At First Insight"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Xys3qKVjg

Launch time: 8:20 pm EST (01:20 GMT)
Launch site: Launch Complex 1A, Mahia Peninsula, New Zealand
Destination: Low Earth Orbit
A Rocket Lab Electron rocket will launch two small satellites for BlackSky’s commercial fleet of Earth observation spacecraft. Rocket Lab has nicknamed this mission “Love At First Insight.” Delayed from late August, September, and October due to COVID-related restrictions. Rocket Lab will be attempting a booster recovery. It will splash down in the ocean under a parachute. There will be a helicopter hovering nearby for the first time, monitoring the descent and splashdown. ​The "aerial catch" will happen on a future mission.
Scrubbed Nov 11 due to an "out-of-family ground sensor reading". Delayed from Nov 16, early Nov 17 due to weather.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #919 on: November 18, 2021, 01:46:50 PM »
@Teslarati
 Â· 6h
US President Biden pats GM CEO’s back: “You electrified the entire auto industry. You led.”
https://teslarati.com/tesla-ignored-biden-gm-ceo-ev-leader-video/
 by @ResidentSponge
Elon Musk
@elonmusk
Replying to
@mayemusk
Sigh

The article he's reacting to

US President Biden pats GM CEO’s back: “You electrified the entire auto industry. You led.”
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-ignored-biden-gm-ceo-ev-leader-video/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #920 on: November 18, 2021, 02:34:16 PM »
Next Week NASA plans to launch its Double Asteroid Redirect Test Mission on a Falcon 9 rocket out of Vandenberg Space Force Base. The DART mission is a technology demonstrator which will test the operation of various new technologies in spaceflight, and ultimately crash the spacecraft into a small asteroid to demonstrate the ability to change the orbit of an object using a kinetic impactor.

NASA's DART Mission Will Move Mountains In Space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0nZvOm3bNs
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #921 on: November 18, 2021, 02:44:35 PM »
The DART spacecraft launch window begins November 24, 2021.  DART will launch aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from Vandenberg Air Force Base, California. After separation from the launch vehicle and over a year of cruise it will intercept Didymos’ moonlet in late September 2022, when the Didymos system is within 11 million kilometers of Earth, enabling observations by ground-based telescopes and planetary radar to measure the change in momentum imparted to the moonlet.

Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) Mission
https://www.nasa.gov/planetarydefense/dart
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #922 on: November 18, 2021, 02:53:12 PM »
Thanks Russia

Hugh Lewis, head of the Astronautics Research Group at the University of Southampton, the U.K., and Europe's leading space debris expert told Space.com.

Space debris from Russian anti-satellite test will be a safety threat for years
By Tereza Pultarova about 1 hour ago
The cloud of debris will increase the number of avoidance maneuvers performed by satellite operators all over the world by more than 100% in the next few years.
https://www.space.com/russia-anti-satellite-test-space-debris-threat-for-years

I googled this man's name and position and was enormously disappointed that his middle initial was not "E" (it's "G").
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #923 on: November 18, 2021, 08:02:09 PM »
Coverage going live at 11:00pm EST. Not sure of the planned launch time though.
Hope this one doesn't go sideways off the pad like the last one

Astra Test Flight (Launch Vehicle 0007)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIIlpatVwBE

« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 11:34:40 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #924 on: November 18, 2021, 09:53:02 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes