Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 125688 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #1225 on: April 29, 2022, 04:45:24 PM »
Got a double header today
With both a Rocket Lab and a SX launch

SpaceX is targeting Friday, April 29 for a Falcon 9 launch of 53 Starlink satellites to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida. The instantaneous launch window is at 5:27 p.m. ET, or 21:27 UTC, and a backup opportunity is available on Saturday, April 30 at 5:05 p.m. ET, or 21:05 UTC.

The first stage booster supporting this mission previously launched GPS III Space Vehicle 04, GPS III Space Vehicle 05, Inspiration4, one Starlink mission, and Ax-1. Following stage separation, Falcon 9’s first stage will return to Earth and land on the Just Read the Instructions droneship stationed in the Atlantic Ocean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skNrXnubpwA

LIVE: SpaceX Falcon 9 Launches Starlink 4-16 Mission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKP1q-e0_w
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1226 on: April 29, 2022, 04:47:58 PM »
Never mind, just one. Rocket Lab's got pushed to May 1 because of weather.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1227 on: April 29, 2022, 04:58:14 PM »
Maybe he should but the FAA next.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1228 on: April 29, 2022, 05:13:27 PM »
Maybe he should but the FAA next.

How much are Hunter's paintings going for now?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1229 on: April 29, 2022, 05:36:59 PM »
Clearest landing video yet from both views
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1230 on: April 29, 2022, 11:26:37 PM »
Clearest landing video yet from both views

I think the young lady announcer said that was the 117th successful recovery.  Might have been consecutive.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1231 on: April 29, 2022, 11:35:36 PM »
I think the young lady announcer said that was the 117th successful recovery.  Might have been consecutive.

Booster went into the drink Feb of last year. The famous "don't land on the Sea Gulls!" incident 

List https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Falcon_9_first-stage_boosters
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1232 on: May 01, 2022, 08:21:23 AM »
Rocket Lab
@RocketLab
 Â· 16h
After a busy week of capture testing, and while we wait for weather to improve, we’re taking an additional day for final helicopter and recovery system optimization ahead of our first mid-air capture attempt. We’re now targeting no earlier than 2 May UTC / 3 May NZST for launch
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1233 on: May 01, 2022, 08:56:57 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1234 on: May 01, 2022, 01:21:52 PM »
Funny meme except when one considers how many times  the FAA has delayed their final environmental evaluation.  Personally, I believe the word has come down from Brandon's administration not to issue any flight permits to SpaceX.  I think it's due to him owning non-union companies.
Also, there were some rumors floating around that the final approval was imminent, but then Musk bought Twitter shortly after those rumors kicked off.  Really, there are lots of reasons for the FJB administration to dislike Musk and beat him up politically.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1235 on: May 01, 2022, 02:49:25 PM »
Suppose to start at 3:00 EDT

NSF Live: Starship Environmental Approval Update, Falcon 9 Performs Record Turnaround, and More
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVJIPqq-wgk
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1236 on: May 02, 2022, 11:55:29 AM »
Suppose to go live at 6:05pm EDT

The “There And Back Again” mission will see Electron deploy 34 satellites to a sun synchronous orbit for a variety of customers including Alba Orbital, Astrix Astronautics, Aurora Propulsion Technologies, E-Space, Spaceflight Inc., and Unseenlabs, and bringing the total number of satellites launched by Electron to 146.

“There And Back Again” is also a recovery mission where, for the first time, Rocket Lab will attempt a midair capture of Electron’s first stage as it returns from space using parachutes and a helicopter.

The window opens at 2235hrs on April 29 UTC (1035hrs on April 30 NZST) and the live webcast will start here approximately 25 minutes before lift-off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nODVPGHQcc
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1237 on: May 02, 2022, 06:06:44 PM »
Everyday Astronaut is up for the Rocket lab launch and catch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74sXa2qySPM

Watching on Rocket Lab
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nODVPGHQcc

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1238 on: May 02, 2022, 06:45:50 PM »
 [popcorn]
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1239 on: May 02, 2022, 07:51:29 PM »
They caught it but noticed something unusual, they didn't say what, and then let it go.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1240 on: May 02, 2022, 09:11:16 PM »
Rocket Lab Retweeted
Peter Beck
@Peter_J_Beck
·
1h
Incredible catch by the recovery team, can’t begin to explain how hard that catch was and that the pilots got it. They did release it after hook up as they were not happy with the way it was flying, but no big deal, the rocket splashed down safely and the ship is loading it now.
https://twitter.com/Peter_J_Beck/status/1521279458140823552
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1241 on: May 05, 2022, 11:21:25 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/03/spacex-starbase-expansion-plans-will-harm-endangered-species-fws.html

The Piping Plover is a tiny little bird that lives on the Gulf Coast during its southern migration, then returns north to the Plains for its northern migration.

Some eggheads did a visual count, driving a truck around, and somehow think that works as an authoritative means of counting all the birds in the area.  Their results are that the Boca Chica area has gone from about 340 of this bird present, down to about 140, over the three year period that SpaceX has been active at Starbase. 

They're taking it that the birds are dead, as a result of SpaceX, rather than relocated due to the nuisance of the factory noise and intermittent low altitude launches.  Nevermind there hasn't been a launch in over a year, since SN15 landed propulsively and they've been waiting on FAA approval to launch a full stack.

Nevermind that Boca Chica was a quad and 4x4 and dirtbike mecca, and it was a pretty regular occurrence to find out that some quad rider crushed an endangered turtle's head while jumping dunes or such.  And all that behavior is gone now that SpaceX is a major high security land holder with a large property exclusion zone.  Nevermind that Cape Canaveral functions as a significant nature preserve for Florida, and Boca could as well.

The net result is a mitigated approval from FWS requiring SpaceX to perform some wildlife protection measures to mitigate the impact on this bird, and maybe restrict launches during sensitive times.  We'll see how this plays out with the overall FAA potential FONSI approval.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1242 on: May 05, 2022, 03:33:00 PM »
Nothing has changed to change my opinion.

FTFY

It is my opinion that NASA will never get back to the moon. Their mission budget will be slashed during the Harris/Biden administration and their focus will likely be redirected back toward muslim outreach and social justice issues.
As for SpaceX and friends, I would be surprised if the regulatory burden isn't magnified beyond financial feasibility and they take their toys to another country.
We just can't afford to be sending all that money up in smoke going into space when there are so many social justice programs here that need the money.
 :'(
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1243 on: May 05, 2022, 04:08:25 PM »
In the more general category of aerospace news, Boeing is moving headquarters from Chicago to Arlington, VA.  The talking heads see this as an effort to build better relationships with regulators, legislators and the DOD.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/boeing-set-move-headquarters-arlington-virginia-sources-2022-05-05/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1244 on: May 05, 2022, 04:52:20 PM »
https://twitter.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1521887273406640138

Boeing Starliner capsule suffers leprosy of protective covers while being transported for integration to an Atlas V rocket.

"The front fell off."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1245 on: May 06, 2022, 08:41:32 AM »
Woke up too late
Really spectacular views of the landing even if part of the video feed cut off

LIVE: SpaceX Falcon 9 Launches Starlink 4-17 Mission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGU4_tKx5g4
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1246 on: May 08, 2022, 12:15:51 AM »
Not only Russian tanks and ships exploding

On April 15th a Russian Launch Support System (LSS) launch in 2007 exploded in orbit, apparently something they're known to do, creating another debris cloud

Russian engine exploded in orbit
https://universemagazine.com/en/russian-engine-exploded-in-orbit/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1247 on: May 10, 2022, 11:30:04 AM »
Scott Manley updates

Space X updates
Dream Chaser updates
Russian and Chinese launches
More info on the Rocket Lab catch and release
Also some cool video from a Spin Launch (remember them?) test.
and more

SpaceX Planning To Land In Middle of Bahamas - Deep Space Updates - May 10th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glpz90RhegM
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 08:23:25 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1248 on: May 10, 2022, 11:33:16 AM »
NSF now has a live feed from the McGregor test site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOmmvhDQ2HM

SpaceX's McGregor test site features regular engine firings with test stands for Raptor and Merlin engines. Tests typically occur between 7 am and 9 pm CDT but occasionally happen outside of that window. McGregor Live ensures that you never miss a minute of the action.

Looks like a Raptor (2?) may have had a RUD yesterday. Trying to find a link to yesterday's feed

- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #1249 on: May 10, 2022, 06:50:56 PM »
Scott Manley updates

Space X updates
Dream Chaser updates
Russian and Chinese launches
More info on the Rocket Lab catch and release
Also some cool video from a Spin Launch (remember them?) test.
and more

SpaceX Planning To Land In Middle of Bahamas - Deep Space Updates - May 10th
https://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php#1

Copypasta error on the link.