Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 125695 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #1250 on: May 10, 2022, 08:23:59 PM »
Copypasta error on the link.

Sigh
Too many tabs open and I am an idiot
Fixed, thanks
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1251 on: May 11, 2022, 07:24:28 PM »
Not so fast on that phosphine data in Venus's atmosphere

"amplified noise" Whoops

Math Phenomenon Fooled Us Into Believing There Was Life on Venus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LRajwp_3l0
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1252 on: May 13, 2022, 03:57:29 PM »
Falcon 9 is launching the Starlink 4-13 mission with 53 internet satellites onboard. Liftoff is scheduled for 3:07 p.m. Pacific (22:07 UTC) from SLC-4E, Vandenberg SFB, California.

LIVE: SpaceX Falcon 9 Launches Starlink 4-13 Mission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icJ-ia5smf0
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1253 on: May 14, 2022, 05:19:46 PM »
I look away for a  minute and SpaceX launches another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFDkWL2Hmh8
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #1254 on: May 14, 2022, 06:37:12 PM »
I look away for a  minute and SpaceX launches another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFDkWL2Hmh8

Tends to be their habit.  =D

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1255 on: May 15, 2022, 10:04:15 PM »
lunar eclipse tonight

https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/total-lunar-eclipse-may16-2022/

Penumbral eclipse begins at 1:32 UTC on May 16 (9:32 p.m. EDT on May 15).
Partial eclipse begins at 2:27 UTC on May 16 (10:27 p.m. EDT on May 15).
Totality begins (moon engulfed in Earth’s shadow) at 3:29 UTC on May 16 (11:29 p.m. EDT on May 15).
Totality ends at 4:53 UTC on May 16 (12:53 a.m. EDT).
Partial eclipse ends at 5:55 UTC on May 16 (1:55 a.m. EDT).
Penumbral eclipse ends at 6:50 UTC on May 16 (2:50 a.m. EDT).
Maximum eclipse is at 4:12 UTC on May 16 (12:12 a.m. EDT).
Duration of totality: About 90 minutes.
Note: This total eclipse is central. That means the moon passes centrally through the axis of Earth’s dark (umbral) shadow. The moon is in a near part of its orbit – close to Earth – during the eclipse. It’s a supermoon.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1256 on: May 18, 2022, 09:36:41 AM »
Woke up, forgot why I woke up, and went back to sleep

SpaceX Falcon 9 Launches Starlink 4-18 Mission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlM0-N7BYTw
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1257 on: May 18, 2022, 07:09:13 PM »

Looks like a Raptor (2?) may have had a RUD yesterday. Trying to find a link to yesterday's feed

SpaceX down time - 68 hours. Bet NASA would have been at least 6 months or more.

Anyway

They avg at least 3 Raptor firing a/day with up to 8 being fired in one day

Why Does SpaceX Blow Up So Many Raptor Engines?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfc-WYifpIk
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1258 on: May 19, 2022, 10:39:22 AM »
Starliner you're up......Hopefully

Scheduled for May 19, 2022  Boeing is preparing to repeat the first Orbital Flight Test of their Starliner spacecraft, which failed to dock with the International Space Station in 2019 following an issue with the spacecrafts Mission Elapsed Time (MET) clock. The spacecraft will launch atop ULA’s Atlas V N22 rocket, and will dock to the Harmony forward port of the ISS 24 hours later. OFT-2 will demonstrate Starliner’s capability to fly and dock to the ISS.

Watch Boeing and ULA launch Starliner to the ISS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMG4lG939rc
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1259 on: May 19, 2022, 10:45:23 AM »
Given Boeing's track record of late, I'm going to keep my expectations low.

I remember my teenage years growing up in a small town a few miles east of Seattle.  Boeing was a big deal back then, well thought of, admired, a place people aspired to work.  Many of our neighbors were Boeing employees.  Not so much any more.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1260 on: May 19, 2022, 03:47:13 PM »
NSF's live feed

A United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket is launching Boeing's Starliner Orbital Flight Test 2 mission for NASA's Commercial Crew Program. Liftoff is scheduled for 6:54 p.m. Eastern (22:54 UTC) from SLC-41, Cape Canaveral SFS, Florida.
LIVE: Atlas V Launches Starliner's Orbital Flight Test 2 (OFT-2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5KGePUTq_g
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1261 on: May 19, 2022, 06:52:51 PM »
2 minutes  [popcorn]
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1262 on: May 19, 2022, 07:13:10 PM »
We'll have to see if Starliner's internal clock is blinking 12:00 when it is instructed to do its orbital insertion burn.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #1263 on: May 19, 2022, 07:22:40 PM »
We'll have to see if Starliner's internal clock is blinking 12:00 when it is instructed to do its orbital insertion burn.
:laugh:

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1264 on: May 19, 2022, 11:57:04 PM »
Gorram Boeing.

The OMS behind the capsule suffered a failure of primary thrusters during the orbital insertion burn.

Then the secondary thrusters also failed during the same burn.

It made orbit with tertiary thruster system.

I'm astounded that NASA is allowing this claptrap pile of garbage anywhere near the ISS, but they are indicating they are still "go" for the remainder of OFT-2.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #1265 on: May 20, 2022, 01:26:01 AM »
Gorram Boeing.

The OMS behind the capsule suffered a failure of primary thrusters during the orbital insertion burn.

Then the secondary thrusters also failed during the same burn.

It made orbit with tertiary thruster system.

I'm astounded that NASA is allowing this claptrap pile of garbage anywhere near the ISS, but they are indicating they are still "go" for the remainder of OFT-2.

:O

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1266 on: May 20, 2022, 07:56:31 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1267 on: May 20, 2022, 11:37:08 AM »
Two engines failed during flight yet Boeing's Starliner reaches space, all eyes on docking
https://www.indiatoday.in/science/story/two-engines-failed-during-flight-yet-boeing-s-starliner-reaches-space-all-eyes-on-docking-1951804-2022-05-20

Not at all surprised, both at the failures, and at Boeing's desperation to carry on with the flight despite the serious failures.  I cannot help but think this could put the ISS in jeopardy during the docking process.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1268 on: May 20, 2022, 11:38:37 AM »
I give it a 40% chance of actually docking
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1269 on: May 20, 2022, 11:41:25 AM »
We need a new station anyway.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1270 on: May 20, 2022, 11:58:04 AM »
[Animal House]Ramming speed![/animal house]

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1271 on: May 20, 2022, 12:02:49 PM »
I give it a 40% chance of actually docking

What horrifies me is Boeing's deadlight stare into the abyss and steadfast refusal to accept a failure as a failure and learn from it.

They had a partial parachute failure during the launch abort test of this capsule at White Sands.  They called it a success because despite 1 chute failure, they were within tolerances with redundancies of the other chutes.  No remedial actions or investigations into the chute failure and Boeing actively ridiculed and rejected the space media and space fandom insistence that the chute failure be better investigated.

Then in OFT-1 they had a cascade of failures, but lobbied very hard to try and have NASA qualify the mission as a successful flight test because they achieved "most" of the bullet point objectives on the mission itinerary.  Nevermind they didn't actually achieve the actual purpose of the craft of proving viability of the craft to deliver personnel and cargo to the space station.

The last attempt to launch OFT-2 that was scrubbed, was scrubbed because the OMS was having issues with its valve reliability due to Florida humidity.  Who could have foreseen that a spacecraft that launches from Florida would have to be able to overcome high humidity? /sarcasm 

Now in OFT-2, despite Boeing and Aerojet-Rocketdyne supposedly having redesigned the OMS system's valves to be able to handle the humidity, they have 2 propulsion failures prior to final target orbit insertion and they're still lobbying to continue the mission.  Propulsion mishaps on the part of the Russians in the last 2 years have put the station at serious risk of compromise.  It cannot afford or tolerate those type of stresses on its junctions.  Starliner's legacy in space is a series of propulsion screw-ups.  OFT-1 saw its clock programmed incorrectly and the OMS was hammered by unnecessary microadjustments that overheated its thrusters.  Then the re-entry burn was incorrectly programmed(actions given to thrusters with the wrong vectors) but firmware-patched at the last second as the craft was descending... only to wind up nearly crashing into the OMS module during capsule separation for reentry.
--Lysander Spooner

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1272 on: May 20, 2022, 01:46:15 PM »
You know Angry Astronaut wasn't going to pass up making this video  :rofl:

Latest glitch with Boeing Starliner! Why is NASA letting this thing dock with ISS?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNfLWZiUkW4
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1273 on: May 20, 2022, 03:19:58 PM »
Place your bets

After launching into orbit on an Atlas V rocket the unmanned Boeing Starliner capsule is set to dock to the International Space Station at 19:10 Eastern, 23:10 UTC on Friday May 20th - 00:10 UTC on Saturday morning May 21st.

LIVE: Approach & Docking of Boeing's Starliner to the International Space Station #OFT2 #Starliner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLgjtBnmnXk

7 on the ISS right now
Pray NASA doesn't stand for Need Another Seven Astronauts
Again
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 03:34:32 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1274 on: May 20, 2022, 03:52:34 PM »
WLJ now has me worried, so I have the live feed going as I do some contract review.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.