Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 126793 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #1375 on: June 17, 2022, 06:52:09 AM »
 LIVE: SpaceX Falcon 9 Launches Starlink 4-19 Mission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7ggISLWEcU

Falcon 9 is launching the Starlink 4-19 mission with 53 internet satellites onboard. Liftoff is scheduled for 12:08 PM EDT from LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1377 on: June 17, 2022, 09:00:10 AM »
Meanwhile at 39A

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1378 on: June 17, 2022, 09:53:32 AM »
NASA is concerned that Starship may break launchpad 39A

https://interestingengineering.com/nasa-worried-about-its-iconic-launch-pad-39a?fbclid=IwAR3PfKN7IgGUIug4LbKH2BDbk8NXlMcpZqNQgpZn2su_j2w0MZkKDhviTcM

Posted about that on the previous page.  I'm thinking the administration intends to prevent SpaceX from launching their Starship.  They are repeatedly throwing roadblocks and delays in front of SpaceX, causing him to expend his capital for little or no real return at this point.  The L39A area launch prohibition is just the latest. 
The FAA has stated he will be clear to launch Starship from Boca Chica as long as he meets all of the 75 different conditions they laid out for compliance to receive a license.  I believe that was by design as it provides the feds with a lot of opportunities to deny Musk his launch license. 
It's abundantly clear they don't like Musk's politics, and that he has successfully prevented unionization of his various companies to date.  I suspect they may go after him to shut down his Twitter purchase at some point.
What I don't understand is why Musk, a supposedly smart individual, hasn't figured this out for himself and made it clear he is moving his operations off shore where the feds can't legally impede him.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1379 on: June 17, 2022, 09:59:11 AM »

What I don't understand is why Musk, a supposedly smart individual, hasn't figured this out for himself and made it clear he is moving his operations off shore where the feds can't legally impede him.

That was asked on a NSF video and IIRC the answer was that as an American company SX would still be under FAA supervision and regulations. To transfer the company, assets and all, itself to foreign soil would require a metric crap ton of legal hurdles to get through, things like tech transfer laws and such. So unless he wants to start completely from scratch, completely new engine designs and such, he's stuck here
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1380 on: June 17, 2022, 10:05:56 AM »
Plus his experienced work force is here. Many if not most may not be willing to move to another country
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1381 on: June 17, 2022, 10:37:43 AM »
I'd expect taking an orbital class rocket out of the country to require ITAR approval as well, something he definitely wouldn't get if the us gov is against him.

He might just be planning to do what he can with starship, and makes tons of money with Falcon 9 and Dragon for two more years to see what happens.  Isn't NASA still giving SpaceX some cash for Starship and Super Heavy under the new moon landing program?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1382 on: June 17, 2022, 10:46:23 AM »
I'd expect taking an orbital class rocket out of the country to require ITAR approval as well, something he definitely wouldn't get if the us gov is against him.

On a somewhat Babylon Bee style note on that The Harris admin would then declare him building launch vehicles in whatever country a WMD threat and drop a bunch a JDAMs on the factory
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 11:05:55 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1383 on: June 17, 2022, 11:40:12 AM »
13th flight for this booster
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1384 on: June 17, 2022, 11:57:26 AM »
In the live F9 launch video above NSF was asked about the 39A business and according to them SX is also looking at building a SS pad at LC49
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1385 on: June 17, 2022, 12:04:30 PM »
Or did he say LC40?
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1386 on: June 17, 2022, 12:10:00 PM »
Meanwhile at 39A

That's LC39B.  39A has been converted to Falcon-only operations for a long time.  39B is the only pad that can support SLS launches right now.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1387 on: June 17, 2022, 12:11:06 PM »
I knew that  :facepalm:
"Brian" fart on my part
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1388 on: June 17, 2022, 12:12:52 PM »
Oh wait, that wasn't a fart
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1389 on: June 17, 2022, 12:19:14 PM »
13th landing for that booster
Perfectly clear video the whole way
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1390 on: June 17, 2022, 02:17:27 PM »
13th landing for that booster
Perfectly clear video the whole way

Very cool!  That was perhaps the best booster landing video ever.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1392 on: June 18, 2022, 08:46:35 AM »
But wait, there's more

Falcon 9 is launching the SARah-1 mission, Germany's military radar Earth observation satellite. Liftoff is scheduled for 10:19 AM EDT (14:19 UTC) from SLC-4E, Vandenberg SFB, California. First stage 1071-3 landing at LZ-4.  SARah-1 is expected to use a 750 km circular x 98.4 deg orbit.

LIVE: SpaceX Falcon 9 Launches SARah-1 Satellite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8826cJOcbQ
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1393 on: June 18, 2022, 09:54:41 AM »
Can't see a thing because of fog
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1394 on: June 18, 2022, 10:04:19 AM »
Does fog mean boom?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1395 on: June 18, 2022, 10:06:53 AM »
Getting SN11 vibes  :O
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1396 on: June 18, 2022, 10:44:35 AM »
No boom today.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1397 on: June 18, 2022, 11:54:19 AM »
Nice touchdown of the booster.  I wonder how many flights it's made so far?
Noticed how the video of the second stage didn't come up after separation.  I would imagine that's because it's a military payload for Germany.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1398 on: June 18, 2022, 11:57:06 AM »
Nice touchdown of the booster.  I wonder how many flights it's made so far?
Noticed how the video of the second stage didn't come up after separation.  I would imagine that's because it's a military payload for Germany.

3rd
And yes
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 03:47:52 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #1399 on: June 18, 2022, 03:36:40 PM »