Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 129910 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #1650 on: August 29, 2022, 02:16:48 PM »
This is what the SpaceX/T-Mobile get-together was all about.
T-M will use Starlink sats to provide service in areas not served by cell phone towers.
Musk also has a Plan B for Starlink 2 Sats if Starship is delayed. They will downsize Starlink 2 Sats a bit to enable them to be launched on F9.

SpaceX and T-Mobile partner for direct-to-cellphone satellite service
https://spacenews.com/spacex-and-t-mobile-partner-for-direct-to-cellphone-satellite-service/

Thank you for posting this!

My ride through Colorado was plagued by T-mobile dead zones.  Even in small towns.  Even in tourist trap small towns, like Ouray.

I came home determined to get a Spot, Garmin or other satellite text communicator device.  But in light of this news, I may abstain.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1651 on: August 29, 2022, 02:53:21 PM »
Thank you for posting this!

My ride through Colorado was plagued by T-mobile dead zones.  Even in small towns.  Even in tourist trap small towns, like Ouray.

I came home determined to get a Spot, Garmin or other satellite text communicator device.  But in light of this news, I may abstain.

It may still be a while till it's up and running. The T-moble deal will only work with Star Link 2.0, which hasn't launched yet, not the current 1.0 or 1.1.
2.0 is bigger and needs something along the size of Starship to launch on. As noted Elon does have a fallback plan in 2.0 lite which will fit on modified F9s if SS is delayed too much.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1652 on: August 29, 2022, 03:18:43 PM »
Tank Farm activity and an Over Pressure Notice
Could mean static fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJRzQsLZGg
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1653 on: August 29, 2022, 04:01:46 PM »
More YT click bait video titles

LIVE NEWS: NASA's Artemis 1 is on FIRE , HUGE EXPLOSION !
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1654 on: August 30, 2022, 06:44:12 PM »
NASA going for a launch of SLS on Sat Sept 3rd
Launch window opens at 14:17 EDT
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1655 on: August 30, 2022, 06:58:38 PM »
Saw something in chat the issue was a faulty temp senor but I don't have confirmation on that.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1656 on: August 31, 2022, 07:45:52 AM »
Meanwhile just another day, errr night, at the office at SpaceX
150th recovery of a Falcon booster

SpaceX Falcon 9 Launches Starlink 3-4 Mission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRnKgbYsqug
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1657 on: August 31, 2022, 08:50:34 AM »
Overpressure notice and tank farm activity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztPU5jjIY_g

Updated to another link
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 10:58:18 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1658 on: September 01, 2022, 12:06:52 PM »
According to TAA NASA reserved more Crew Dragon flights and TAA thinks that means NASA is about to pull the plug the on Starliner

Starliner on Life Support!! PLUS, the latest on the SpaceX Starship static fire from Boca!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ1ZlD1tclQ

Of  note
The entire contract between NASA and SX including all flights bought to 2030: $4.93b
What Boeing has spent so far on Starliner which has yet to make a single manned flight: $4.8b

Also

SX: $65 mil per seat
Starliner: Accordiiing to TAA will have to charge $95 mil per seat just to start breaking even.

Be aware TAA can be rather pessimistic in his videos
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 12:39:35 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1659 on: September 02, 2022, 12:53:51 PM »
NASASpaceflight
​NASA confirms they are making another attempt Saturday, September 3rd. Two hour window opens at 2:17 pm Eastern (18:17 UTC).
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1660 on: September 03, 2022, 07:00:57 AM »
Orange Rocket still a go for launch
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1661 on: September 03, 2022, 09:44:25 AM »
Annnnd another H2 leak.
Orange rocket bad
They're evaluating
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1662 on: September 03, 2022, 09:54:57 AM »
Annnnd another H2 leak.
Orange rocket bad
They're evaluating

Yep, heard that.  Betting it won't go today, either.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1663 on: September 03, 2022, 09:59:34 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1664 on: September 03, 2022, 10:24:01 AM »
Watching the closeup images in the live feed.  That rocket is more boilerplate than sleek and streamlined.  In the fifties and sixties, a lot of attention was paid to streamlining rockets wherever possible to reduce drag.  It looks like the designers of the SLS just didn't care.  Or maybe they determined it doesn't matter as much.  Could be that it's a cost saving measure.  Who knows.
Looking at SpaceX designs, they are somewhat similar in the lack of streamlining, though you don't see many actual big honkin' bolt heads hanging out in the breeze like you do with SLS.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1665 on: September 03, 2022, 10:33:40 AM »
The latest hydrogen leak mitigation effort failed.  As this was kind of a "hail Mary" fix, I expect they will announce a scrub shortly.  I'm still thinking this thing will be making the journey back to the VAB where its various problems can be more seriously addressed.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1666 on: September 03, 2022, 10:39:04 AM »
Watching the closeup images in the live feed.  That rocket is more boilerplate than sleek and streamlined.  In the fifties and sixties, a lot of attention was paid to streamlining rockets wherever possible to reduce drag.  It looks like the designers of the SLS just didn't care.  Or maybe they determined it doesn't matter as much.  Could be that it's a cost saving measure.  Who knows.
Looking at SpaceX designs, they are somewhat similar in the lack of streamlining, though you don't see many actual big honkin' bolt heads hanging out in the breeze like you do with SLS.

Could be a better understanding of what streamlining is important and what streamlining isn't and where. Experience and modern computer modeling could be helping in that. Back in the day it was probably a case of streamline everything just to be safe. They have since learn some of it just wasn't worth the extra cost and weight.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 11:21:27 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1667 on: September 03, 2022, 10:58:04 AM »
In state of No Go but they're looking at ways to resolve or work around the problem. Not a scrub yet.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1668 on: September 03, 2022, 11:18:57 AM »
Scrub
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1669 on: September 03, 2022, 11:21:15 AM »
Could be a better understanding of what streamlining is important and what streamlining isn't and where. Experience and modern computer modeling could be helping in that. Back in the day it was probably more of a case of streamline everything just to be safe.

Kind of what I was thinking.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1670 on: September 03, 2022, 02:35:49 PM »
So I guess the only reason we're doing this program is to get people of the correct color and gender on the moon? Hundreds of billions of dollars for space diversity. Holy hell...

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/09/03/fuel-leak-scrubs-artemis-1-launch-again-but-ny-times-reports-eventually-us-will-land-the-first-woman-and-first-person-of-color-on-the-moon/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1671 on: September 03, 2022, 02:48:16 PM »
So I guess the only reason we're doing this program is to get people of the correct color and gender on the moon? Hundreds of billions of dollars for space diversity. Holy hell...

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/09/03/fuel-leak-scrubs-artemis-1-launch-again-but-ny-times-reports-eventually-us-will-land-the-first-woman-and-first-person-of-color-on-the-moon/

What if the Chinese land a Chinese woman first?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1672 on: September 04, 2022, 05:35:19 PM »
SLS headed back to the barn. Earliest possible launch now Oct 17-31
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1673 on: September 04, 2022, 06:05:12 PM »
What if the Chinese land a Chinese woman first?

Then Elon will welcome her with a cold drink and a ride in a tunnel.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1674 on: September 05, 2022, 08:35:09 AM »
Another day..uh night at the office for SpaceX
Bullseye on the landing barge

Starlink Mission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NONM-xsKMSs
- Calvin and Hobbes