Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 127052 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #1750 on: September 25, 2022, 03:16:24 PM »
Debating on weather, pun!, or not to roll SLS back.
Suppose to decide by 20:00
Crawler is staged underneath
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1751 on: September 26, 2022, 10:18:27 AM »
NASA has deferred a decision on roll back to today.
Crawler on standby underneath
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1752 on: September 26, 2022, 10:19:24 AM »
Meanwhile DART is on target.

The Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) spacecraft, launched last November, is on a trajectory to collide with Dimorphos, a small asteroid orbiting the larger near Earth asteroid Didymos, at 7:14 p.m. Eastern Sept. 26. The collision will change slightly the orbit of Dimorphos, allowing scientists to measure how effective such a collision, or “kinetic impact,” could be to change the trajectory of any future asteroids that pose a hazard to the Earth.

DART on track for asteroid collision
https://spacenews.com/dart-on-track-for-asteroid-collision/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1753 on: September 26, 2022, 11:00:53 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1754 on: September 26, 2022, 04:15:04 PM »
Suppose to go live at 18:00

DART Asteroid Impact LIVE with Mission Team
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrxPT8UFJRM
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 06:03:07 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1755 on: September 26, 2022, 06:03:18 PM »
DART!  [popcorn]
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1756 on: September 26, 2022, 07:14:24 PM »
30 seconds
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1757 on: September 26, 2022, 07:16:35 PM »
Impact
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1758 on: September 26, 2022, 07:20:39 PM »
Bullseye in fact
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1759 on: September 27, 2022, 08:53:22 AM »
Some tracks show Ian hitting The Cape dead on others show it to going to the north and west

SLS going into the barn right now.
SpaceX appears to be getting ready.
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1760 on: September 27, 2022, 11:27:58 AM »
That DART mission was amazing.  I'm looking forward to the calculations demonstrating on whether or not we can rely upon simple Newtonian physics to nudge potential threats in the future, or if layers of shock absorber on the threat will make that impossible or unreliable.

The images of the target were incredible.  I was expecting a coagulation of dust motes, not a collapsed skyscraper of rubble.  The jaggedness and size of the rocks on the target was astounding.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #1761 on: September 27, 2022, 11:40:33 AM »
That DART mission was amazing.  I'm looking forward to the calculations demonstrating on whether or not we can rely upon simple Newtonian physics to nudge potential threats in the future, or if layers of shock absorber on the threat will make that impossible or unreliable.

The images of the target were incredible.  I was expecting a coagulation of dust motes, not a collapsed skyscraper of rubble.  The jaggedness and size of the rocks on the target was astounding.

I saw the video, but couldn't tell the scale/size of the rocks.  Has anyone overlayed a scale on the photos?

At what angle was the asteroid hit?  Probably not head-on, but was it a front quarter or rear quarter or just a t-bone?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1762 on: September 27, 2022, 12:11:43 PM »
I saw the video, but couldn't tell the scale/size of the rocks.  Has anyone overlayed a scale on the photos?

At what angle was the asteroid hit?  Probably not head-on, but was it a front quarter or rear quarter or just a t-bone?

I haven't seen an overlay.  I was watching live on the NSF youtube feed, and they had a few NASA mission leads on during it.  I got the impression that the final two images we were looking at a resolution of under a foot per pixel.  The entire object is around 160 meters across, and as the impactor is closing on it during the last 30 seconds you can see solid protrusions that are a good 5-10 meters in size.  Spitballing, I'd guess the final full image sent prior to the partial red image, the rock in the center was 3-5 meters across?  Andy Cheng suggested it was somewhere between 5-10cm per pixel on the final full image, but we don't know the resolution of the images themselves.  I have read one PDF that suggests it is 2560 x 2160 pixels.  Cheng went on to say the final rocks were beach ball sized, or you could hold in your hands.

We won't know the momentum impact for a few days probably.  Cheng suggested it was an incredibly square impact to the center of the target.  No word on if the visual center of the target corresponds to the center of mass of it.  Density differences could cause funkiness.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1763 on: September 27, 2022, 12:22:14 PM »
And we're finding that many asteroids including this one aren't the classic big solid rock that usually comes to mind when someone says asteroid but rather many are a loose collection of rocks and gravel, basically rubble with no solid surface to land on. Be interesting to see what effect the impact had.

Here's what happened when we tried landing a sample mission on Bennu

Asteroid Bennu’s Surprising Surface Revealed by NASA Spacecraft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42EwbQ3afPA
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 12:36:06 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1764 on: September 27, 2022, 01:26:01 PM »
Scott Manley
Video and images from telescopes showing the plume from the impact. Of particular note are the just released images from DART's partner cube sat starting at 7:00

Asteroid Smashing Looks Like Nothing You Ever Imagined
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg4DiOmKlVM
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1765 on: September 27, 2022, 02:09:00 PM »

Scott says the photo at 1:14 is about 100 meters across.

https://youtu.be/hg4DiOmKlVM?t=74
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1766 on: September 28, 2022, 10:31:57 AM »
 :rofl:

NASA Saves Face By Claiming Female Astronaut Running Spaceship Into Asteroid Was Intentional
https://babylonbee.com/news/nasa-saves-face-by-claiming-female-astronaut-running-spaceship-into-asteroid-was-intentional
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1767 on: September 28, 2022, 10:48:47 AM »
Looks like they made the right choice in hauling SLS back in.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1768 on: September 28, 2022, 12:04:19 PM »
Looks like they made the right choice in hauling SLS back in.

Agreed.  For a while it looked like they were going to let Artemis 1 sit on the pad.  A couple of NASA bureaucrats were arguing for that to be done.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1769 on: September 28, 2022, 12:52:54 PM »
Agreed.  For a while it looked like they were going to let Artemis 1 sit on the pad.  A couple of NASA bureaucrats were arguing for that to be done.
If it were to be destroyed by a hurricane maybe it would reduce the embarrassment of it constantly failing to launch.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1770 on: September 28, 2022, 01:16:03 PM »
If it were to be destroyed by a hurricane maybe it would reduce the embarrassment of it constantly failing to launch.

They tried in the VAB, apparently.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/fire-alarm-rings-in-nasa-vehicle-assembly-building-after-the-artemis-i-rocket-gets-there-199817.html

There was an electrical fire in VAB high bay 3:  The SLS bay.

While the orange tank is obviously detanked, Orion is still integrated as well as the SRB's.  Orion has a launch escape tower that is a fueled solid rocket system, and the service module attached to Orion I believe is fueled with hypergolics for propulsion use after separation from the ICPS hydrolox stage.  Those hypergolics are not detanked at the pad; the VAB is where they are fueled and/or de-fueled.  Hypergolics are supposed to be "safe" for long term storage, which is why they're popular for space propulsion of components that are challenging to fuel on the pad or not likely to use their cryogenic load before it warms up.

The SRB's (and Artemis 1 in general) are following in the finest NASA tradition of Challenger; being given excuse after excuse to be used in spite of test failures, expiration dates, and GSE failures.  I really expected them to launch in the hurricane with a former Thiokol exec on the phone saying "nah, it'll be fine!" at pre-launch about 10 minutes before explosion of the stack at 60,000 feet altitude.  In classic NASA contractor logic, a hurricane would certainly make it hard for leaking GSE hydrogen to pool dangerously anywhere.  That's a plus, right?
--Lysander Spooner

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1771 on: September 28, 2022, 01:25:01 PM »

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/fire-alarm-rings-in-nasa-vehicle-assembly-building-after-the-artemis-i-rocket-gets-there-199817.html

From the above article

At the time of writing, hurricane Ian is hurtling toward Florida, and it could be a category 4 storm by the time it reaches it. That means winds of up to 156 mph (251 kph) and the potential of making a mess of the place

Think I remember hearing the VAB was rated for 120mph winds

Hurricane Frances blew off a bunch of panels and I think another took off some as well. Don't know what the winds were at the time.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1772 on: September 29, 2022, 08:47:21 AM »
Thursday morning rocket engines

First BO with their BE-4 firing for over 4 minutes

BlueOrigin #BE4 rocket engine for ULA #VulcanRocket - full firing sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-dr2Df8AaA

Next SX's Raptor 2 showing off it's Rapid Relight

SpaceX Tests Raptor Engine Rapid Relight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO5Uu6xA3N8
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1773 on: September 29, 2022, 09:10:13 AM »
Other than being a bit soggy the Cape looks fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnt2wZBg89g
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 11:08:32 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1774 on: September 29, 2022, 04:26:59 PM »
Possible Hubble service mission in the works?

The press conference about "potential commercial space opportunities for NASA science missions" will begin at 4:30 p.m. EDT (2030 GMT).

The participants in the briefing are:

Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator, NASA's Science Mission Directorate
    Kathy Lueders, associate administrator, NASA's Space Operations Mission Directorate
    Jessica Jensen, vice president, customer operations and integration, SpaceX
    Jared Isaacman, commercial astronaut and commander of Polaris Dawn
    Patrick Crouse, Hubble Space Telescope project manager, NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center

SpaceX, NASA and Hubble officials to discuss mysterious new study today: Listen live
https://www.space.com/spacex-nasa-hubble-science-commercial-study-preview

YT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ0L2aQgcI4

Listening
- Calvin and Hobbes