Author Topic: Android and Google  (Read 5223 times)

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Android and Google
« on: January 08, 2021, 07:56:13 PM »
This is actually related to politics.

Does Google have any ownership in Android?

Apple is threatening to ban the Parler app.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Android and Google
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 08:45:23 PM »

And google already banned it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 08:53:50 PM »
Been many moons since I used android.

Can’t apps be downloaded outside from the play store?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 09:01:17 PM »
And google already banned it.

Holy crap.

While Android is open source and you can set your phone up without the googles, where do you go for apps? Are there any depositories of apps that have any kind of a decent catalog, and that are easy enough for an average Android user to get? For that matter, rooting a phone is not something a lot of people  (like your grandma) are comfortable doing.

Again, this is outrageous. Because so many people have come to rely on not only these social media platforms, but the underlying OS platforms, this is really akin to Verizon deciding what numbers you can and can't call from your phone.

And I bet because of DC, all the Republican reps that were screaming about section 230 and having hearings and everything are now going to forget all about it.

Seriously, I think we are already in the middle of a backdoor takeover of the United States. I sit here and realize that in the matter of a week I have gone from tinfoil theories to watching it actually happen.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 09:08:37 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 09:10:42 PM »

Yes, Google developed Android.  Android is a "free" OS because the user of the OS becomes a marketing product for Google to sell.

You can "side load" an app by searching for its APK package and downloading it.  You have to go into your phone's settings in order to allow package installation from sources other than Google Play Store, but it doesn't require rooting to do it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 09:18:55 PM »
Anyone know anything about the "reintroduced" Blackberries? I guess they are Android now, but are they linked to Google, or do they have their own thing going?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 09:36:05 PM »

Holy crap.

While Android is open source and you can set your phone up without the googles, where do you go for apps? Are there any depositories of apps that have any kind of a decent catalog, and that are easy enough for an average Android user to get? For that matter, rooting a phone is not something a lot of people  (like your grandma) are comfortable doing.

Again, this is outrageous. Because so many people have come to rely on not only these social media platforms, but the underlying OS platforms, this is really akin to Verizon deciding what numbers you can and can't call from your phone.

And I bet because of DC, all the Republican reps that were screaming about section 230 and having hearings and everything are now going to forget all about it.

Seriously, I think we are already in the middle of a backdoor takeover of the United States. I sit here and realize that in the matter of a week I have gone from tinfoil theories to watching it actually happen.

Seems surreal doesn't it?  Welcome to the party.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 10:23:22 PM »

this is really akin to Verizon deciding what numbers you can and can't call from your phone.

So I'm unwillingly compelled to be the telecom admin for our company, and we use RingCentral for our VoIP provider.

RingCentral does block what numbers you can and can't call from your account.  We've encountered it while doing business with customers in Puerto Rico, Portugal, and Ireland.  I have to go out of my way to get a company officer to sign a stack of paperwork authorizing us to dial certain prefixes in those countries.

Mind you, my company caters software to some of the largest law firms in the world.  We're not calling back alley abortion clinics or brothels or something.  These are multinational law firms with hundreds of timekeepers at a minimum, usually thousands.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 10:39:26 AM »
It's not banned on Android, it's banned from the play store like an ungodly number of other apps that don't meet it's guidelines. But yes, unlike apple apps can be side loaded on Android devices. Least on my Samsung it gives me the option when I download the app and go to install it, it's quite simple. Once you've done your thing I recommend setting it back to the default to insure apps you didn't intend to load onto your device can't. The app still works fine, it's the install of the app that requires the permission, not running it once it is installed.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 10:58:42 AM »
Yes. The APK file can be downloaded and installed locally on your phone.

https://www.apkfiles.com/
https://www.apkmirror.com/

Searches on both these sites do not show the Parler apk.  It looks like the ban on Parler is spreading.
You can download the parler-release.apk file from their website.  I managed to install it on my Android phone.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 11:00:51 AM »
A lot of folks are migrating from Parlor to GAB
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 01:01:25 PM »
Also, Signal is probably the most secure SMS app:  https://www.signal.org/

Brave is probably the best browser, it comes with Tor built in.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 01:06:15 PM »
Also, Signal is probably the most secure SMS app:  https://www.signal.org/

Brave is probably the best browser, it comes with Tor built in.

I just saw Elon Musk is telling all his followers to go to Signal. With that and other stuff I've seen him do of late, it seems he has taken the red pill.

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm trying out different browsers on my new computer to see if I want to switch from Firefox. This week was Edge, next week is Brave. I just installed it today, but what is up with that "earning BATs in your wallet" thing? That doesn't seem very private to me.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 02:18:54 PM »
but what is up with that "earning BATs in your wallet" thing? That doesn't seem very private to me.

As I understand it, it's a way for websites to get paid for ads that you have some control over, as opposed to the google ads where they everything about your internet use is made available to anyone. I've still got it turned off.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2021, 05:09:39 PM »
    JUST IN – Amazon employees call for the company to cut ties with #Parler. The website and app are hosted on Amazon's cloud hosting platform AWS.

— Disclose.tv 🚨 (@disclosetv) January 9, 2021

‘Employees’ of Amazon, which hosts Parler, asking company to cut ties with the Twitter alternative
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/01/09/employees-of-amazon-which-hosts-parler-asking-company-to-cut-ties-with-the-twitter-alternative/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2021, 05:31:06 PM »
‘Employees’ of Amazon, which hosts Parler, asking company to cut ties with the Twitter alternative
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/01/09/employees-of-amazon-which-hosts-parler-asking-company-to-cut-ties-with-the-twitter-alternative/

Somebody better hurry and develop and advertise some decentralized alternatives before it's too late to even figure out where to go next because everyone has been censored. At the rate they're going, all the AWS type of servers and hosting services will have banned everything within the next 48 hours.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2021, 06:39:48 PM »
Speaking of, how is APS situated?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2021, 06:42:36 PM »
Speaking of, how is APS situated?

Sitting on servers owned by folks who are known to host pro-freedom pro-2A stuff...

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2021, 06:49:57 PM »
So we might just be talking to ourselves.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2021, 10:03:25 PM »
And Parlor is gone from Apple. It might be gone all together if Amazon decides to just scrub it off the server.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2021, 10:09:19 PM »
And Parlor is gone from Apple. It might be gone all together if Amazon decides to just scrub it off the server.

As of a few minutes ago:

Sunday (tomorrow) at midnight Amazon will be shutting off all of our servers in an attempt to completely remove free speech off the internet. There is the possibility Parler will be unavailable on the internet for up to a week as we rebuild from scratch. We prepared for events like this by never relying on amazons proprietary infrastructure and building bare metal products.

We will try our best to move to a new provider right now as we have many competing for our business, however Amazon, Google and Apple purposefully did this as a coordinated effort knowing our options would be limited and knowing this would inflict the most damage right as President Trump was banned from the tech companies.

This was a coordinated attack by the tech giants to kill competition in the market place. We were too successful too fast. You can expect the war on competition and free speech to continue, but don’t count us out.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2021, 10:18:09 PM »
How would this not be an actionable antitrust issue? Multiple businesses working together to eliminate competition.
I doubt our current government would go after them but damn.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2021, 12:14:14 AM »
Need to add Amazon to the list of evil. Parler is hosted on Amazon servers and they are kicking them off.
Time to dump amazon prime.

ETA - I have now canceled my Amazon prime account.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams