Author Topic: Android and Google  (Read 5212 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Android and Google
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2021, 08:58:51 AM »
Facebook is now banning patriotic T-shirt companies from advertising. I'm watching an interview with one of the companies right now. They were banned for a specific T-shirt that shows the Gadsden snake with the words "Make Us" underneath.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2021, 07:49:23 AM »
Well, I was just thinking. Aside from what big tech is doing with Parler right now, for once, I was right about something in the overall theme: The Cloud is bad. When Amazon can remove music I purchased (rented I guess); when Amazon can access my Kindle anytime and change the text of books I've bought, or edit movies and other media  I bought to meet their cultural mores, that's bad. When Microsoft tries to convince me to leave backup images of my computer on the Cloud for "better security" but then maybe decides they don't like my politics, so I no longer have access to that (same with any data left with anyone anywhere on the Cloud), or they perhaps even give it to a government that doesn't like "my kind", that's bad.

The Cloud is bad.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2021, 08:21:34 AM »
The Cloud is bad.

Relying on the good graces of other people/companies is bad. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2021, 08:30:38 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2021, 08:31:27 AM »
There are no safe or secure comms.

Participating on the internet and using cell phones gives the information aggregators a pretty good picture of who you are without even having to assign anyone to research you.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2021, 08:34:07 AM »
There are no safe or secure comms.

Participating on the internet and using cell phones gives the information aggregators a pretty good picture of who you are without even having to assign anyone to research you.

And where to find you and where you've been.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2021, 10:09:58 AM »
Relying on the good graces of other people/companies is bad. 

Now y'all finally understand the Amish motto.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2021, 10:16:28 AM »
Parler isn't safe either.  Obviously not backed by Android/Google/AWS/Microsoft, someone downloaded 80TB of user data.

Some of this includes sensitive content of "verified accounts" such as images of drivers licenses.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/social-networking/news/80tb-parler-posts-photos-videos-leaked-by-security-researchers-law-enforcement-can-use-to-identify-january-6-attackers-2350920

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2021, 11:44:25 AM »
Here is a little help from googletube to de-google your phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqSCmT5S-2w
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2021, 01:19:37 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2021, 01:20:32 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2021, 02:05:00 PM »
Parler isn't safe either.  Obviously not backed by Android/Google/AWS/Microsoft, someone downloaded 80TB of user data.

Some of this includes sensitive content of "verified accounts" such as images of drivers licenses.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/social-networking/news/80tb-parler-posts-photos-videos-leaked-by-security-researchers-law-enforcement-can-use-to-identify-january-6-attackers-2350920

I'm not sure the figure is correct.  80TB is an awful lot of bits.

Still disconcerting for anyone who had a Parler account.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2021, 02:07:07 PM »
How long before they start removing channels like Forgotten Weapons etc.. for showing how guns work?
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2021, 02:12:29 PM »
It looks like Parler is gone for good.  No one is willing to host them after Amazon dropped them.  Hosts that had agreed to provide backup hosting should Amazon have a problem will not take them.  Even hosts that Parler had agreements with to take them in the event that they were taken off Amazon for political reasons are now refusing to talk to them.
Fox News story, an interview of Parler CEO John Matze by Maria Bartiromo, at the Youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6weryikO5o&feature=youtu.be
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2021, 02:20:03 PM »
Sign of times to come?

Others have been talking about using Lockdown for comms but Signal looks interesting as well.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2021, 02:31:16 PM »
It looks like Parler is gone for good.  No one is willing to host them after Amazon dropped them.  Hosts that had agreed to provide backup hosting should Amazon have a problem will not take them.  Even hosts that Parler had agreements with to take them in the event that they were taken off Amazon for political reasons are now refusing to talk to them.
Fox News story, an interview of Parler CEO John Matze by Maria Bartiromo, at the Youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6weryikO5o&feature=youtu.be

Do they need a host?  Of course at some point they need a connection to the Internet even if they have their own servers.

ETA: I just tried to load parler.com and I got a DNS error.  That's scary.  If their hosting service is gone, they should still have an IP address (they leased it) and I shoulda received a timeout error.  So it looks like ICANN is in on this.
"It's good, though..."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2021, 02:33:25 PM »
Sign of times to come?

Others have been talking about using Lockdown for comms but Signal looks interesting as well.

Lockdown? URL? Search is no help
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2021, 03:23:58 PM »

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2021, 03:39:16 PM »
AR-15 forum just got shut down

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2021, 03:41:40 PM »

Definitely can't get to them right now. Does anyone know who hosts them?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2021, 03:42:25 PM »

Which one?  ARfcom and M4Carbine.net are still up.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2021, 03:43:35 PM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2021, 03:44:40 PM »
This is going faster than I expected.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2021, 03:51:22 PM »
Their backup site doesn't seem to be working either.  I never go to that forum, but I would like to go to their alternate site to read up on what happened.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2021, 03:52:22 PM »
Entertainingly, the backup doesn't work for me, but https://ar15.com still does.

ETA: the tab at the top says "AR15-backup" so maybe there's some sort of blind redirect going on.