Author Topic: Night of the digital long knives  (Read 4549 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Night of the digital long knives
« on: January 10, 2021, 09:47:33 AM »
Just ran across a link to this article.

https://theothermccain.com/2021/01/10/night-of-the-digital-long-knives/

Control of the Internet, which used to be a flexible network designed to automatically route information around blockages, has now fallen into the grasp of a handful of companies, all of them seemingly eager to institute a Red Chinese social credit system. Conservatives and populists have relied for too long on Section 230 to protect us from exactly the kind of hamfisted behavior that Jack Dorsey, Sundar Pichai, Jeff Bezos, and Tim Cook are engaging in right now. We have a very limited amount of time to find and use alternatives like blogs, e-mail lists, Telegram, Signal, and Gab; we must also build alternative financing structures so the wokerati running Mastercard and Visa can’t cut off the flow of funds.

There has been some movement on the alternative information sources and sharing sites.

The scary thing is on the financial front where there are few no real options.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Night of the digital long knives
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 01:00:18 PM »
Accepting Bitcoin, Ethereum, and/or Litecoin is a damned good start to breaking the financial monopoly of credit processors.

Bitcoin's transaction processing is a bit high for anything short of a $500 or so purchase, but Ethereum and Litecoin are quite inexpensive in tx fees.  Far less than credit processors.

Renegotiating employee compensation to be a portion in crypto (maybe 10% of gross salary?) on an opt-in basis would help make that crypto easier to move, not that it's hard to convert to USD through any of the crypto brokerages out there.

There are even several crypto-backed debit cards out there.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 12:11:03 PM »
Distributed computing is good, but there are still bottlenecks that have to be addressed.

There still needs to be independent hosting services and bandwidth beyond the reach of government, or the large established corporate interests for things that don't run well on distributed computing or blockchain.

And as the Play Store and Apple Store have shown, (Microsoft hasn't done much with Windows... yet, but if forced we know what side they'll come down...) there's significant bottlenecks in getting access to "new" services or apps if the gatekeepers don't want them.

There also needs to be other things like growth in blockchain distributed DNS to prevent more fundamental attacks by service providers getting in on the censorship game.

The tech and basic ideas to make "unstoppable" platforms are out there, and I think some of them can be implemented quickly, or they already exist. However, getting them over the critical mass adoption hump, and making them point-and-click simple is the real hurdle.

Wanna take bets on how many of the people at the Capitol/Trump rally last week could do something as simple as side-load a .apk file on an Android phone? Hell, I'm not completely comfortable with Tor and Crypto and lesser known secure or distributed comms, and a bunch of other technologies, because unless I devote hours of research, I've got no idea where the "latest and greatest" or the "mojo" is either.
I promise not to duck.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 03:44:38 PM »
AR15.com down.

I read a rumor that they are hosted on Amazon GoDaddy servers and may have been taken down.

Guess we will see ...

edit: Lenny beat me to it in another thread
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 07:00:51 PM »
GAB has been down for a long time, seems like about 24 hours.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 07:50:35 PM »
It's up as of this writing.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 10:47:33 PM »
Musk appears to be POed about this whole mess.

In response to Capitol rioting, Musk weighs in on Big Tech censorship
Musk has previously taken jabs at Facebook and Amazon
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/elon-musk-weighs-in-on-big-tech-censorship
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 11:01:32 PM »
    Apple’s top lobbyist was a chief adviser to the Biden transition team. A former Facebook executive will serve as staff director in the Biden White House, and a former Twitter executive will serve as chief spokesperson for the National Security Council under Biden.

Current and former executives at those firms and two others, Google and Amazon, fill out other positions in the incoming Biden administration, or his transition team.

Biden Selects Over a Dozen Big Tech Executives to Serve in Administration or Advise Transition
https://bongino.com/biden-selects-over-a-dozen-big-tech-executives-to-serve-in-administration-or-advise-transition?fbclid=IwAR3Piray_n97MCmlRDxfJhl4lLgbReNUsMvLXf0ONrxrHQsu0nymqlqkG3g
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 11:39:20 PM »
And now we have this crap

Twitter HQ "Protest" Will Most Likely Be Antifa Dressed as MAGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbIYU8srBjk&feature=emb_logo
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 11:40:48 PM »
Musk appears to be POed about this whole mess.

In response to Capitol rioting, Musk weighs in on Big Tech censorship
Musk has previously taken jabs at Facebook and Amazon
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/elon-musk-weighs-in-on-big-tech-censorship

Yeah, but Musk "blames" social media for the capitol riots.

That's effing stupid.

You blame the people themselves.  You blame the organizers.  You don't blame the gorram website where someone posted it.

That's like blaming the Kinkos for the 1000 copies I made and distributed around town for [insert bad thing here].
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 11:42:18 PM »

That's effing stupid.

You blame the people themselves.  You blame the organizers.  You don't blame the gorram website where someone posted it.

That's like blaming the Kinkos for the 1000 copies I made and distributed around town for [J-Pop karaoke night].
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 02:24:28 AM »

That's effing stupid.

That's like blaming the Kinkos for the 1000 copies I made and distributed around town for [insert bad thing here].

What if Facebook employees are the organizers as well?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 07:46:17 AM »
It's this whole "blame something, not the person" attitude that drives me nuts.   Blame guns for shootings, not the shooter.  Mr. Rapist isn't to blame, it's his access to internet pr0n.  I understand the desire to look for a "why" when looking at criminal/deviant behavior.  Problem is that sometimes, the answer appears to be "just because."
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 08:44:01 AM »
It looks like AR15.com is moving from GoDaddy to Epik.com as their Registrar.

I've still got some GoDaddy registered domains and I'm going to get them moved.  I'm contacting Epik to see what their policies are.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 07:05:58 AM »
Mailchimp apparently pulled the plug on the Virginia Citizen's Defense League only weeks before the Richmond rally. Because, as everyone knows, last year's Richmond Rally was a horrific example of... nothing. Governor Blackface Moonwalker panicked and declared a state of emergency, assuring us that there would the hundreds, if not thousands, dead from all of the guns there. The worst thing that happened? The crowd of 20,000 or so picked up their own litter.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 09:14:27 PM »
The nerve of these jackasses. Dorsey explaining what Twitter did and how is is being contemplative about it (bolding mine):

"The check and accountability on this power has always been the fact that a service like Twitter is one small part of the larger public conversation happening across the internet. If folks do not agree with our rules and enforcement, they can simply go to another internet service," Dorsey wrote.

They DID go to another site, you arrogant ass, and then you and your buddies colluded and destroyed that site.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/twitter-ceo-jack-dorsey-defends-trump-ban-but-admits-his-companys-power-sets-a-dangerous-precedent
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 12:59:57 AM »
The nerve of these jackasses. Dorsey explaining what Twitter did and how is is being contemplative about it (bolding mine):

They DID go to another site, you arrogant ass, and then you and your buddies colluded and destroyed that site.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/twitter-ceo-jack-dorsey-defends-trump-ban-but-admits-his-companys-power-sets-a-dangerous-precedent

Liars lie.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 01:19:08 PM »
YouTube is threatening to take down Trump's channel, so the good folks at Gab backed up his videos:

https://twitter.com/getongab/status/1349116295510253568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://tv.gab.com/channel/realdonaldtrump

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 01:26:24 PM »
Apparently he has also been banned or restricted at Snapchat.

Most of these sites he's being banned from, Boomer Ben doesn't use or care about, but I'm curious of the size and demographics of the populations he's being censored from.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 02:21:56 PM »
Apparently he has also been banned or restricted at Snapchat.

Most of these sites he's being banned from, Boomer Ben doesn't use or care about, but I'm curious of the size and demographics of the populations he's being censored from.
I doubt Trump even has a Snapchat account.   

I wonder if Onlyfans will ban him?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 02:53:43 PM »
Twitter and Facebook lost a combined $51 million in two days after banning him.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2021, 03:00:25 PM »
Twitter and Facebook lost a combined $51 million in two days after banning him.

That's actually $51 billion, which is a good start.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 07:41:27 PM »
Facebook Has Deleted TTAG’s Page, Here’s What You Can Do
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/facebook-has-deleted-ttags-page-heres-what-you-can-do/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 07:48:02 PM »
Facebook Has Deleted TTAG’s Page, Here’s What You Can Do
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/facebook-has-deleted-ttags-page-heres-what-you-can-do/

From the article, sounds like they weren't the only ones taking hits from various sources.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2021, 07:55:05 PM »
From the article, sounds like they weren't the only ones taking hits from various sources.
Timcast said his Facebook page was restricted. 

I deactivated my account today even though I rarely use it.  I guess I need to go in and completely delete it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge